2018-2019

UAZip0510

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Let's be real. The committee won't give a sht if we beat OU or Buffalo an extra time. Or vice versa

OU, no (at least not in their current state). Buffalo, probably (depending on how the season is going). 

Fact is, shaping a schedule like this to replace a bottom-level MAC squad with a top 4 MAC squad can only help in the end. Kreed is right, it will still take a strong OOC to make a difference, but that's why I suggested combining the end of the conference schedule with another conference. 

54 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

OU, no (at least not in their current state). Buffalo, probably (depending on how the season is going). 

Fact is, shaping a schedule like this to replace a bottom-level MAC squad with a top 4 MAC squad can only help in the end. Kreed is right, it will still take a strong OOC to make a difference, but that's why I suggested combining the end of the conference schedule with another conference. 

So much of it is perception. We could go 14-4 against only Buffalo and there would be no difference in the committee's eyes. Combining it with another conference would be interesting, just like BracketBusters was of course.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know whether it's a good or bad hire.  I'm just always a little hesitant to get excited when you push out a coach because you are unhappy with the direction of a program and then you hire an assistant that was a part of the same program that was going in the wrong direction.  My hope of course is that their familiarity with her helped establish that she is indeed the person for the job and that she was a bright spot on the former staff.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't know whether it's a good or bad hire.  I'm just always a little hesitant to get excited when you push out a coach because you are unhappy with the direction of a program and then you hire an assistant that was a part of the same program that was going in the wrong direction.  My hope of course is that their familiarity with her helped establish that she is indeed the person for the job and that she was a bright spot on the former staff.  

Was Kest pushed out?

It's a hire that first of all says, "We don't care about this program!"  And that is not to prejudge the competency of Melissa Jackson.  As I wrote weeks again, she seemed to be out recruiting players and gaining the respect of admin and players.  However no other D1 school would have considered this coach for a HC position.  Was anyone else seriously considered, or are we so weak we cannot afford to look around?  I'm sure there are many here who will agree with the attitude that we shouldn't use resources on a "minor sport".  I had hoped we were well beyond those days, but the overall department seems to be slipping these days -- and I do blame the bean counters who don't understand the importance of investing in the future, or the need for a balanced department of athletics. 

Z.I.P. echos my feelings. WBBall is the feature program of women's athletics. This hire tells us a lot about what is going on behind the scenes in athletics. It is a safe hire, but by no means an exciting one. I truly hope Melissa is able to break the downward spiral of WBBall. i don't see a reason to believe she is capable. She was part of one of the most disastrous periods in WBBall history. As a recruiting director she did not bring in any talent. Kest lost her effectiveness for reasons I do not know nor understand. Melissa  bears some of the blame, especially if she is going to get credit for the better years Kest had. Giving her the HC position does not make sense unless Williams had no money and that would explain why he let the Ashland coach slip to BGSU w/o a fight. There is nothing here to excite the Zip faithful. It actually causes more concern than excitement for Zip athletics.

I listened to the interview and was disappointed. Melissa did not energize the listeners as to the vision she wants to bring. In fact there was very little confidence built regarding her faith in herself in turning the program around. The interview further indicates to me that athletics cares little about being at the top of the MAC in WBBall. Melissa did talk about three returning players that she was excited to coach in the upcoming season, but who in the hell gets excited about returning players from a three win team. A major overhaul is needed and there was zero discussion on that. You win with talent first, then with coaching. There was little confidence built here that we can expect both. I wish i could be more positive about this but that's just the way I see it. 

• Like 1

The situation seriously reminds me of how the women's soccer program was treated with -- was it back-to-back interim coaches effectively before Noreen Herlihy was hired as part of a "long-term plan".  They're just playing around, with no idea and little or no concern about developing a winning program.  Very sad.  I hope those with any input rate the AD's effectiveness on his treatment of women's sports at the UofA!

15 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

The situation seriously reminds me of how the women's soccer program was treated with -- was it back-to-back interim coaches effectively before Noreen Herlihy was hired as part of a "long-term plan".  They're just playing around, with no idea and little or no concern about developing a winning program.  Very sad.  I hope those with any input rate the AD's effectiveness on his treatment of women's sports at the UofA!

ZIP, sadly I agree. This hire either says they don't care or they don't have the resources. I believe it is the latter. I don't know for sure, but I believe Williams was told his budget was limited and if he wanted more money he had to go into the football or MBBall budgets. Being unwilling to do that he hired a caretaker, a person who has no history of turning a program around. Jodi left the program in an Ianello-like state. We are now the worst in the MAC. Williams knew this was coming as the season unfolded. He had time to prepare. If this is the best he can do we really need to question his ability to lead and grow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Did Williams not make a big time hire (on a very smart contract) in Groce last year after the unexpected departure of KD?

Yes, but remember Illinois is still picking up most of his coaching salary due to the years he had remaining when fired. Your point supports my argument that the university is protecting the football and MBBall budgets. Even soccer had a cutback in that Jared lost ( two years ago) his director of operations and he has not been replaced.

I understand why UA did this, but I expect the revenue situation to improve regarding both sports. I feel it will happen with MBBall but football is a longer proposition.  Still it's the AD's job to find resources to support competitive program. That hasn't happened.

• Like 1

Imagine if Stevens was part of a coaching staff that was 5-31 in conference over the last two seasons and 18-42 over all games during that time. Butler would never had promoted him. They expect more and they know past success is the best and foremost predictor of future success. Promoting from within when you have a very successful program is what I want so we may be on the same page. Jared followed Caleb in men's soccer and I supported, even lobbied, for that.   

• Like 1

Good point. Yes you are correct about KD. But think about it, his hire supports my opinion. He was a proven, successful coach having led programs at Tiffin, Ashland, Central Michigan and Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary HS. He had a history of turning around poor programs. Happy Fourth everyone. Thanks to all vets on this website. :thumb::thumb:

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 2:25 PM, zippy5 said:

Can I kindly suggest that we perhaps make a separate ladies hoops thread?

I highly concur.  Reading this thread reminds me of reading college basketball scores on the ESPN crawl.  All of a sudden I see a score that makes no sense whatsoever and realize I've just wasted 20 to 25 seconds reading the results of women's basketball games.  ESPN should use pink type when reporting any women's scores to prevent such waste, and posts on ZipsNation concerning AU women' basketball would fit nicely in the other sports category.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In related news...

7 foot PCCC grad transfer Adonis De La Rosa is headed to Illinois. 

Why God why?! Why must you challenge me like this? He's a Golden Flush and if I am not mistaken he is the punk-ass who was provoking Cotton from the bench. Ugh!!

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Haha 3