2018-2019

UAZip0510

15 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

In related news...

7 foot PCCC grad transfer Adonis De La Rosa is headed to Illinois. 

Why God why?! Why must you challenge me like this? He's a Golden Flush and if I am not mistaken he is the punk-ass who was provoking Cotton from the bench. Ugh!!

Are the Illini so desperate they need a mediocre 7 footer who was handled by our freshman K-lac?:rofl:

31 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Are the Illini so desperate they need a mediocre 7 footer who was handled by our freshman K-lac?:rofl:

I thought the same thing. De LaRosa is one of those "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" players. A waste of 7-foot, with a bad disposition.

I give him 5 games max before he either quits, or gets kicked off the team.:wave:

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

In a word, yes. Illinois has been after a number of quality bigs already since Groce and have struck out on every one of them. That was predictable. I know, because I was bouncing off the ceiling predicting it. I realize Jeremiah Tilmon had a very humbling Freshman year for Mizzou and was constantly in foul trouble, but I bet he is still NBA bound. We shall see over these next couple of years if he could have been a program changer for Illinois. In the meantime, I get to watch a waste of 7 foot, with a bad disposition. So true.

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

In a word, yes. Illinois has been after a number of quality bigs already since Groce and have struck out on every one of them. That was predictable. I know, because I was bouncing off the ceiling predicting it. I realize Jeremiah Tilmon had a very humbling Freshman year for Mizzou and was constantly in foul trouble, but I bet he is still NBA bound. We shall see over these next couple of years if he could have been a program changer for Illinois. In the meantime, I get to watch a waste of 7 foot, with a bad disposition. So true.

What you watch is your choice. Hint: watch more of Akron. :wave:

• Like 2

That's a sorry commentary on the state of University of Illinois basketball if they have a spot for De La Rosa.  On his 4th school and averaging only 11 points and 7 rebounds in the MAC last  which wasn't exactly teeming with quality big men. 

I hope they have room left to add Virshon Cotton to the roster.  

Edit- I missed that Cotton signed with LIU Brooklyn.  Damn, seemed like a match made in heaven.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

49 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That's a sorry commentary on the state of University of Illinois basketball if they have a spot for De La Rosa.  On his 4th school and averaging only 11 points and 7 rebounds in the MAC last  which wasn't exactly teeming with quality big men. 

I didn't mean to turn this into an Illini conversation, but since it's slow maybe everyone won't mind taking a break from the Lady Zips and their new basketball coach. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Edit- I missed that Cotton signed with LIU Brooklyn.  Damn, seemed like a match made in heaven.

Cotton v. Ivey 2.0. Perhaps even worse, right?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quotes from the book:

There is a formula for success.

This formula is predictable, repeatable, and simple to understand, but it’s a process and it requires initiative, dedication, focus, and loads of positive energy.

When a player catches a coach’s eye, the coach tends to give him more opportunities to show his stuff.

When speaking to the reporters, the coach’s answers were short, always positive, and focused on the future, not the past.

How you train your mind is actually more important than how you train the body.

How you deal with setbacks matters.

Every battle is won before it ever fought. It starts in the mind.

Just pray on it and remember you can’t do it on your own. You’re not that strong.

It’s not how much you say. It’s what you say when you say it that counts. Those who have the most profound things to say often speak the least.

How bad do you want to be great?

Making the team is a goal. But striving for greatness is a life mission.

What got you to this level won’t get you to the next. Are you willing to pay the price that greatness required?

Talent isn’t enough anymore.

Life is too short to be average.

Striving for greatness doesn’t start on the field. It starts in your head.

The best know what they truly want.

For many who strive to be the best, there was a person before them who paved the way, who showed them that greatness was possible.

Seeing it is important because to reach your destination you know you have to travel through the valley of hardship and struggle to get there. But your big picture vision will feel you during your journey and help you bear the struggle and overcome the hardship to reach your goal.

Whatever you do, don’t be a 50 percenter. 

The best want it more.

We must also measure desire in terms of actions.

When everyone else is sleeping, the best are practicing and thinking and improving.

To settle for anything less than your past was a waste of the gifts and calling you have been given.

To deny being your best was to deny the gift you were meant to give others.

The best are always striving to get better.

To be the best, you have to be willing to be uncomfortable and embrace it as a part of your growth process.

The best are humble and hungry. They are lifelong learners.

You are either getting better or worse but never staying the same.

See everyone as a teacher.

Coach Bill Walsh, one of the great football coaches of our time, would often say that he feared success, not failure.

The fact is that pass success does not determine future success.

He realized that sometimes a person striving for greatness needs someone to push them out of their comfort zone.

Coaches need to treat each player differently based on what motivates the player.

You know you’ve picked the right woman when she gives you strength.

There is no such thing as an overnight success.

Game day principle: 5% of a person’s life is made up of our performance on game day, 95% is made up of the time we are preparing, practicing, and waiting to perform.

What makes Starbucks so great is that they do 100 things 10% better than everyone else.

It’s the little things that separate the best from the rest.

The best do ordinary things better than everyone else.

There is simply no substitute for practice and hard work.

Vision without execution is hallucination. (Edison)

Zoom focus means that you are not just working hard, but working hard on the right things.

Success is all about the fundamentals. And the fundamentals are little and ordinary and often boring.

The key is to focus on improving each day and to take the necessary action steps. If you incrementally improve each day, each week, each month, each quarter, by the end of the year you’ll see remarkable results and growth.

What are the three most important things I need to do today that will help me create the success I desire?

If the devil can’t make you bad, he’ll make you busy. We need to stop scattering hour energy and wasting our time on trivial things that have nothing to do with our vision and goals and start saying yes to our priorities into what truly matters.

Tune out distractions. Don’t listen to what others say about you.

Mental toughness is everything.

Just as you build physical muscle by lifting weights, you can build mental muscle by doing exercises like positive self talk, visualization, breathing, meditation, and prayer each day.

Weed and feed. Because our minds are like a garden, each day you need to weed out the negativity and feed it positivity.

Pay attention to your thoughts. 

When you want to complain, instead identify a solution.

To overcome your fear, you have to know what you are up against.

The best overcome their fear.

Sometimes a man has to be isolated and have no way out before he is willing to look within and above.

Make every moment of your life count.

I realized how important it is to start your day off right. Instead of letting the world create you, you create your world.

Love casts out all fear. 

Love is more powerful than fear. 

Pride keep you separate from the love of God.

The best tap into a power greater than themselves.

You can’t talk about greatness without talking about God.

Resistors and conductors: In spiritual terms we can say that resistors rely on their own power so their power is limited. Conductors, by contrast, empty themselves of their pride and allow the ultimate power to flow through them.

You don’t know God all you need until God all you got.

Don’t ever lose your passion.

God blesses us not for our own good, but so he can bless others through us.

It’s not about you. (Rick Warren)

The success you create now is temporary, but the legacy you leave is eternal.

The best leave a legacy.

You leave a legacy by moving from success to significance. 

I need to live my life as if it were the fourth quarter. 

The best make everyone around them better.

One person in pursuit of excellence raises the standard of everyone around them.

God will unload you and others will support you, but you must take the leap yourself.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...