2018-2019

UAZip0510

ABJ: Two players leaving University of Akron men's basketball team

The article cites Patton from the Dayton Daily News: “I wouldn’t say I made a mistake,” he told the Daily News. “I wanted to figure out what I really want to do, be a role player or shine somewhere. I just felt I could find a better fit somewhere else.”

Good move for Torrey.  I think he made the right call.

• Like 1

No offense to Sina, but I feel writing about him leaving is sort of click bait. Nobody really cares about walk ons (except the great Lucas Smith of course). Sina did know his role and played it sound when he did get some run. Best of luck to him. Get that scholly somewhere!

Similarly with Torrey, a guy who I think knew his role and played it well this year. I would have liked to see what he could do playing more aggressive, but the way the team is constructed going forward, he wasn't going to get that chance anytime soon. He definitely looked like the most timid player on the team. Best of luck to him and I hope he finds somewhere where he can shine.

Though I'm not happy to see any of these guys go, I'm not too concerned either. Let's bring in better players Groce, Ford, Fulford, and gang. Onwards and upwards!

Edited by LZIp

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Both great kids who played hard and helped in a down year.  However, if they were ever going to be major contributors, especially SIna, that's not a positive comment on the future direction of the Zips.  

This.

The core of this team is pretty strong, and now we're able to build upon it with 3(?) open scholarships, plus the transfers from last year. To quote Jose Bautista, the MAC should be shaking in their boots. 

I'll get excited when we get a commitment. I don't understand all the optimism right now. We're 5 days from signing day and we don't have even one verbal for the 2 slots we had before Patton left. I'll get excited if this staff closes the deal with some of these kids.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

And who knows if we will even keep all three red shirts

Yeah..I'm sure the transfers who came here and sat out a year are really considering going somewhere else and giving up yet another year of their college eligibility :rolleyes:

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Count me squarely in the camp that believes we will be deeper and better next year. I see us challenging for a MAC title. That being said I send out much love and respect to Torrey and Sina. I think both made the right call. The fit was not there at UA and wasn't going to be for the next two seasons. Who knows beyond that. Groce will improve the team with the scholly's he now has and I don't see any reason to doubt that he will find the talent we need. The approaching signing date means squat to me. Grace will do it in his time. I felt he did a great job last year with little time and he is now positioned to do even better since he has had more time.

The team will have it's problems next season, but it will be much improved over this season. Let the guy do his job. The world is not collapsing.

• Like 1

There's pessimistic and realistic. 

As of today we're plus Riak and Hester (January). And minus Duvivier, Cotton, and Torrey. I don't see us automatically being better or deeper, as of now. These 3 scholarships are very important, and as of now we're only on the radar of a bunch of solid prospects. Need commits.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

There's pessimistic and realistic. 

As of today we're plus Riak and Hester (January). And minus Duvivier, Cotton, and Torrey. I don't see us automatically being better or deeper, as of now. These 3 scholarships are very important, and as of now we're only on the radar of a bunch of solid prospects. Need commits.

Loren Jackson?

Incredibly excited about next season.

From my humble perspective, I see two underperforming players transferring out and the best players staying.* Contrast to WMU and BGSU where some of the better players left.

*As for Cotton, I think the staff and his teammates tried to make it work with him but...

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

E-man looking healthy!  (But his dribble reminds me why I hate seeing him put the ball on the floor. :lol:)

I think that dribble is intentional. If you picture a defender to the left of where he dribbles, his dribble would be the first move to go around for the dunk. They teach guards to somewhat throw the ball out in front of you when you want to get around someone, so I would assume this would be the big man equivalent. 

• Like 1