2018-2019

UAZip0510

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I haven't seen this Hester play,but I read that Memphis and South Carolina are both interested in Moss. 

Memphis, SC, and Akron are the one's I've heard most.  If Memphis replaces Tubby Smith with Penny Hardaway, it's probably a done deal for him to go there.  If they keep Tubby, it could get interesting.

http://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/12/cal-state-fullerton-rebuilt-a-basketball-program-the-old-fashioned-way-and-its-worked/

This is a good read.  Not sure why but the article makes me think the MAC will divide up not necessarily East and West but by the go getters and mediocrity.   I see Miami joining Akron and a few others in the first group.  Skip please feel free to set me straight as always.

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

http://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/12/cal-state-fullerton-rebuilt-a-basketball-program-the-old-fashioned-way-and-its-worked/

This is a good read.  Not sure why but the article makes me think the MAC will divide up not necessarily East and West but by the go getters and mediocrity.   I see Miami joining Akron and a few others in the first group.  Skip please feel free to set me straight as always.

Sometime around the tourney I read something about Steinbrecher wanting to scrap divisions completely and going to a 22 game conference schedule.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Sometime around the tourney I read something about Steinbrecher wanting to scrap divisions completely and going to a 22 game conference schedule.

I would like that.  I didn't mean it would literally break up into the haves and have nots but that right now some schools have had new coaches for a few years now and just aren't getting traction unlike say Cal State Fullerton.  And there may be an even more dominant core of top MAC teams. 

On 3/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, UAZip0510 said:

Memphis, SC, and Akron are the one's I've heard most.  If Memphis replaces Tubby Smith with Penny Hardaway, it's probably a done deal for him to go there.  If they keep Tubby, it could get interesting.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22761317/coach-tubby-smith-fired-memphis-tigers-21-win-season

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Tubby to DeKalb?  Tubby to Kalamazoo?

I don't know why people here are so openly hostile to the guy I long considered the second best coach in the MAC!  Steve Hawkins has done more with mediocre talent than any coach in the league.  On the other hand, he's the guy responsible for recruiting the talent at that level.  And he's probably on the ol' hot seat for 2019.  Did anyone notice the attendance at our game there?  Not sure if it hit 1000 corpses.

Virshon had some great moments we will always remember with Western game and BG game as well.  But I still remember watching him go after Jimond and there was the suspension that was pre-pink eye.   When Virshon had a big game, Groce let him do the post-game interviews.  I appreciate that Groce is able to make a hard call and put sentiment aside in order to build a team.  (If that's how it played out).   

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

You don’t give up on a talent like Cotton, especially with his ability to want & make a game winning shot as a Freshman. Those are hard to find. 

Remember What Ivey was like as a Frosh/Soph. Does that mean Groce would have given up on him too. 

His transfer is a big loss.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zip44 said:

You don’t give up on a talent like Cotton, especially with his ability to want & make a game winning shot as a Freshman. Those are hard to find. 

Remember What Ivey was like as a Frosh/Soph. Does that mean Groce would have given up on him too. 

His transfer is a big loss.

It was mutual. They "gave up" on each other, which I think is a bad way of putting it.