Non-Conference Future Schedules

94zipgrad

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Totally OT but someone on here must know the answer.  A colleague of mine is a former MAC football player.  He says that even for home games the team stayed in a hotel the night before the game.  I said I didn't think Akron wouldn't do that because of cost.  What is the answer?

Yes, (at least this past season) they stayed in a hotel the night before games. Like @Blue & Gold said, it just helps with curfew, meeting logistics, meals, and who knows what else.

Not all players stay at the hotel, however. The redshirts and injured (and I'm sure a few others) did not stay in the hotel for home games.

• 10 months later...

I wonder what made YSU change their mind about playing Ohio MAC schools. Their AD was adamant they would only agree to a home and home. Personally, I thought it short sided on their part. It seems like a win/win for both parties. Akron will have an FCS opponent that will interest both home fans and will attract some visitor fans. YSU gets to collect a paycheck with next to no expense while also getting the opportunity to prove the rhetoric they have said all these years about being a peer to Akron/Kent.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I wonder what made YSU change their mind about playing Ohio MAC schools. Their AD was adamant they would only agree to a home and home. Personally, I thought it short sided on their part. It seems like a win/win for both parties. Akron will have an FCS opponent that will interest both home fans and will attract some visitor fans. YSU gets to collect a paycheck with next to no expense while also getting the opportunity to prove the rhetoric they have said all these years about being a peer to Akron/Kent.

How much is the paycheck for YSU to come to Akron?  

I would think it would be very good in terms of ticket sales and attendance to start a season with a nearby "rival."  

1 minute ago, Cykron said:

How much is the paycheck for YSU to come to Akron?  

I would think it would be very good in terms of ticket sales and attendance to start a season with a nearby "rival."  

I actually haven't seen what they're getting paid. The going rate for an FCS home opponent typically falls somewhere in the $400k-$500k range.

Won't be easy, but it'll be fun and interesting. YSU seems to have dropped back down to being an average FCS team as Pelini finding some lightning in a bottle in year 1. I would think we should win, but if we lose, we deserve it.

I also noticed our return trip to App State has vanished from the future OOC schedule.

Playing a cupcake FCS team for an easy win to guarantee us 1 win closer to bowl eligibility is the safe option, however, frankly I have 0 interest in playing *insert some random school that I didn't even know had a football team* who we're expected to beat by 30. It's why I haven't attended an FCS opponent game since I was a student. In fact, I haven't even bothered to watch the game on TV during that same time. I actually have interest in a Akron-YSU game. If we lose, it means our team stinks and we don't deserve to go to a bowl.

I may be in the minority but I am not crazy about playing YSU. My hope would be that we play no FCS schools at all but that if we do we sure as heck want to play one that won't be a threat. I don't want to see programs YSU, Illinois State, Duquesne or James Madison that some years actually probably field MAC-level teams. If you want both FCS and name recognition I'd  schedule an Ivy League school.

7 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I may be in the minority but I am not crazy about playing YSU. My hope would be that we play no FCS schools at all but that if we do we sure as heck want to play one that won't be a threat. I don't want to see programs YSU, Illinois State, Duquesne or James Madison that some years actually probably field MAC-level teams. If you want both FCS and name recognition I'd  schedule an Ivy League school.

The Ivy League is non-scholarship FCS so beating them wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The Ivy League is non-scholarship FCS so beating them wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility.

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking about the role bowl eligibility plays in it. I still wouldn't want to play top FCS schools though. It only counts if you get the W.

FCS programs have been increasingly taking away the big payday games from Group of Five schools. There was a time when you would never hear of a Big Ten or ACC team playing a team from the old 1-AA ranks. The "soft" part of their schedule was what is now the Group of 5 teams they played. Given that the FCS has their own playoff and the Power 5 always says group of 5 teams don't play anybody I have never liked the idea of FCS vs. FBS, especially Power 5 vs. FCS. It seems like opportunity stolen from the red-headed stepchildren known as the Group of Five.

Save for a couple exceptions, we don't even get many G5 vs. P5 bowl game opportunities on the landscape anymore either.

That doesn't mean that I do not like the FCS. I do. I realize for them it is just about the payday. From a football standpoint, Its just that if the FCS has their own playoff why do the FCS schools need to bolster their resume against FBS teams?, and if the P5 schedules increasingly more FCS programs, where does that leave the G5 (which is technically supposed to be able to compete for the same title as the P5 but "doesn't play anybody")? I just want the FBS playing field to be a little more level than it is now (I know it will never be fair or even) but feel that scheduling FCS programs only exacerbates the disparity.

Maybe I am way off on this compared to most, and maybe its not the right place for this discussion but it at least is somewhat related to scheduling an Akron-YSU matchup.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Playing a cupcake FCS team for an easy win to guarantee us 1 win closer to bowl eligibility is the safe option, however, frankly I have 0 interest in playing *insert some random school that I didn't even know had a football team* who we're expected to beat by 30. It's why I haven't attended an FCS opponent game since I was a student. In fact, I haven't even bothered to watch the game on TV during that same time. I actually have interest in a Akron-YSU game. If we lose, it means our team stinks and we don't deserve to go to a bowl.

No worries.  We haven't lost to YSU since 1995, and (although this includes ancient history) have beaten them 14 of the 35 times we have played them.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

YSU and UNI are very comparable teams.  UNI brings a lot of heart burn to Ames and Iowa City when they visit.  Just sayen.

UNI has done better on the field in Ames than Iowa City.  But it is such a big deal in either city when they play.  In Akron's case, I think it would be a great launch to the season to have a huge crowd, buttressed by fans of an in-state opponent.  It is tough to ramp up in attendance from a slow start, so this could be great for attendance through the season.  

If Arth is serious about centering his recruiting around NE Ohio, the Youngstown area is important. Though not what it was in through the early 90's, it remains a very good football town.

If the Zips stomp YSU, it would inform potential recruits who think they're better than FCS-level that there's a viable FBS football alternative 50 minutes up I-76. 

If we lose...scrap that idea. :lol:

I think playing YSU is a great. I'm guessing they'll bring a few thousand fans and it will be a fun environment. You can't say InfoCision has been "a fun environment" very often. At least without your nose growing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking about the role bowl eligibility plays in it. I still wouldn't want to play top FCS schools though. It only counts if you get the W.

FCS programs have been increasingly taking away the big payday games from Group of Five schools. There was a time when you would never hear of a Big Ten or ACC team playing a team from the old 1-AA ranks. The "soft" part of their schedule was what is now the Group of 5 teams they played. Given that the FCS has their own playoff and the Power 5 always says group of 5 teams don't play anybody I have never liked the idea of FCS vs. FBS, especially Power 5 vs. FCS. It seems like opportunity stolen from the red-headed stepchildren known as the Group of Five.

Save for a couple exceptions, we don't even get many G5 vs. P5 bowl game opportunities on the landscape anymore either.

That doesn't mean that I do not like the FCS. I do. I realize for them it is just about the payday. From a football standpoint, Its just that if the FCS has their own playoff why do the FCS schools need to bolster their resume against FBS teams?, and if the P5 schedules increasingly more FCS programs, where does that leave the G5 (which is technically supposed to be able to compete for the same title as the P5 but "doesn't play anybody")? I just want the FBS playing field to be a little more level than it is now (I know it will never be fair or even) but feel that scheduling FCS programs only exacerbates the disparity.

Maybe I am way off on this compared to most, and maybe its not the right place for this discussion but it at least is somewhat related to scheduling an Akron-YSU matchup.

If anything the number of P5-FCS match-ups are declining, not increasing. The B1G doesn't even allow its members to schedule FCS schools now where as a B1G-FCS school match-up was common place 10 years ago.

Edited by kreed5120