Non-Conference Future Schedules

94zipgrad

57 minutes ago, LZIp said:

My understanding is we will actually be going there, at least according to this.

https://gozips.com/news/2019/2/14/football-akron-announces-first-game-of-2022-schedule.aspx 

You appear to be correct. Interesting there is no mention of a return game. Did we allow ourselves to get bought by Liberty?

My daughter had an AAU track meet at Liberty last year. Their facilities are absolutely unreal. Hands down top 20 in the nation, better than 90 percent of the P5 schools I’ve been to. In fact their entire campus was quite a sight. With Hugh Freeze running their ship now I don’t think we’ll be getting a million dollars to go down there and win. By 2022 we’re probably going to go down there and get worked.

If we’re going to lose on the road, I’d prefer it to be to an SEC or Big 10 team. Another stupid scheduling decision, right up there with YSU

9 hours ago, InTheZone said:

My daughter had an AAU track meet at Liberty last year. Their facilities are absolutely unreal. Hands down top 20 in the nation, better than 90 percent of the P5 schools I’ve been to. In fact their entire campus was quite a sight. With Hugh Freeze running their ship now I don’t think we’ll be getting a million dollars to go down there and win. By 2022 we’re probably going to go down there and get worked.

If we’re going to lose on the road, I’d prefer it to be to an SEC or Big 10 team. Another stupid scheduling decision, right up there with YSU

Hugh Freeze has basically already indicated his goal is to get back to the SEC ASAP. There is nothing "stupid" with this scheduling. A pay day game against a team at or below our level. The mighty Hugh Freeze and those top 20 facilities were only able to muster up the 134th ranked recruiting class this year.

14 hours ago, InTheZone said:

Liberty is doing a major upgrade on their football facilities too.  They have leveraged the profitability of their online program for their traditional campus program, including athletic facilities.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, kreed5120 said:

I just can't stand Liberty. They're an embarrassment of a university. Pretty much a University of Phoenix with a centralized campus and outdated beliefs.

Thank you for saying what I was going to say.  Their science department teaches that the World is 5000 years old.  Embarrassing to say the least.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 1:46 PM, Cykron said:

Liberty is doing a major upgrade on their football facilities too.  They have leveraged the profitability of their online program for their traditional campus program, including athletic facilities.

They can have the nicest facilities in the US and it wouldn't matter. Good luck trying to recruit African-American athletes when the university president is a neo-nazi/white supremacist apologist.

When Mr. Trump declared last Tuesday that there had been “very fine people” among the white nationalists and neo-Nazis who gathered in Charlottesville, and suggested a moral equivalency between those groups and what he called the alt-left, he found few prominent allies even among Republicans.

But Mr. Falwell — the conservative evangelical leader who became Liberty’s president after his father, Jerry Falwell Sr., died in 2007 — responded glowingly, tweeting the next morning: “Finally a leader in WH. Jobs returning, N Korea backing down, bold truthful stmt about #charlottesville tragedy. So proud of @realdonaldtrump.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/us/jerry-falwell-liberty-university-trump.html

• Thanks 3

One of my fondest Rubber Bowl memories was when YSU played us, and as usual, they outplayed the Faustians...and after a score by the Penguins a lone YSU student was running around the bottom of the bowl with a Y flag, and “jolting Joe” Dunn punched the kid as he ran past!!!  Got suspended I think....??????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

They can have the nicest facilities in the US and it wouldn't matter. Good luck trying to recruit African-American athletes when the university president is a neo-nazi/white supremacist apologist.

Seriously, you don't think Liberty is able to recruit African-American athletes?  Check out their rosters.  You may be letting your anti-Liberty sentiments get a little out of hand.  

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36959&teamID=6

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36959&teamID=9

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36959&teamID=7&CFID=618874407&CFTOKEN=45823418

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Seriously, you don't think Liberty is able to recruit African-American athletes?  Check out their rosters.  You may be letting your anti-Liberty sentiments get a little out of hand.  

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36959&teamID=6

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36959&teamID=9

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36959&teamID=7&CFID=618874407&CFTOKEN=45823418

I never said couldn't. I just see many being turned off to them due to it, especially 4* and 5* athletes who have a long list of options. You know the type of players you need if you hope to build a power house program. You're naive if you believe it has no impact. Do you not think teams recruiting against them aren't bringing up the issue? 

Edit: I really don't care to have a debate on Liberty athletics on an Akron board. You think they will be a great team in 5-10 years. I think they will be about what they are currently. Only time will tell which of is correct.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

One of my fondest Rubber Bowl memories was when YSU played us, and as usual, they outplayed the Faustians...and after a score by the Penguins a lone YSU student was running around the bottom of the bowl with a Y flag, and “jolting Joe” Dunn punched the kid as he ran past!!!  Got suspended I think....??????

If he did that he's lucky he didn't get fired and/or sued.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, kreed5120 said:

I never said couldn't. I just see many being turned off to them due to it, especially 4* and 5* athletes who have a long list of options. You know the type of players you need if you hope to build a power house program. You're naive if you believe it has no impact. Do you not think teams recruiting against them aren't bringing up the issue? 

Edit: I really don't care to have a debate on Liberty athletics on an Akron board. You think they will be a great team in 5-10 years. I think they will be about what they are currently. Only time will tell which of is correct.

Freeze was hired right on top of the early signing date from what I can tell.  Of the players that were left for February, the average star rating of the players he signed was well beyond our's.  They signed a four star corner with offers from Clemson, Auburn, Virginia Tech, and many more .  When was the last time we did something like that? You can hate evangelical Christians all you want to, but Liberty doesn't appear to have any problem recruiting.  They were a playoff team in FCS and with the facilities and support I've seen first hand that they now have, they will be far beyond MAC level competition in short order.  Dumb scheduling decision.  If we're going to go on the road and lose, again, make it to an SEC or Big 10 team.

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/liberty-s-late-push-for-clark-and-land-pays-off/article_a5ec8cba-782c-53aa-a98f-40d595d78101.html

Their basketball team also looks to be a lot better than ours with a roster full of black players. 23-5 and tearing trough the A-Sun.

Edited by InTheZone