Non-Conference Future Schedules

94zipgrad

55 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Bryant in 2021. St Francis of PA in 2022. Morgan State again in 2023. I believe that completes all the non-conference schedules for the next five seasons.

While the non-conference schedules may be complete, my puking isn't finished after looking at these names... :puke:

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

Bryant in 2021. St Francis of PA in 2022. Morgan State again in 2023. I believe that completes all the non-conference schedules for the next five seasons.

What did it cost to get these games?  Hope they were at bargain prices.  

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

While the non-conference schedules may be complete, my puking isn't finished after looking at these names... :puke:

While I am not a huge fan of playing FCS schools I do think the Zips needed to schedule a near certain win for 2021. Those other three non-conference games are rough.

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Don't we pay those schools?

Would you prefer that we play Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and ND every year that way we can collect the biggest checks, meanwhile, go 0-4 OOC every year?

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

and?

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

There's a balance to be had. Nothing wrong at all with 2 pay day/P5 games, 2 equal level G5 games, and 1 FCS opponent. 

For a University that is struggling mightily financially, not sure paying FCS schools is the wisest use of the money. Also, I made some changes to your post for the ideal scheduling in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Would you prefer that we play Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and ND every year that way we can collect the biggest checks, meanwhile, go 0-4 OOC every year?

No - that's extreme. What's wrong with 1-2 P5/Pay Days (Illinois is winnable AND a pay day) and 1-2 G5 schools?

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Yes, and we beat them too. Well usually

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy... :tomato::puke:

25 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

No - that's extreme. What's wrong with 1-2 P5/Pay Days (Illinois is winnable AND a pay day) and 1-2 G5 schools?

If we were WMU, NIU, or Toledo I'd be inclined to agree with you. Those schools have winning tradition, meanwhile, we've been a joke of a program for 30+ years. We've had literally 1 winning season and 2 bowl appearances in 13 years. We need to work towards making bowl games every year and become a perennial 8-10+ win team. Once we get to that point then sure we can get rid of scheduling FCS opponents.

Edited by kreed5120

I guess the reason I don't like the Zips playing against FCS competition is more basic than a strength of schedule argument. I don't like the idea of 85 scholly schools playing 63 scholly schools, or however many FCS has now. While everyone tries to talk about how different P5 and G5 are at least the rules for composing their teams are basically equal. That is not the case when comparing FBS and FCS.

I get that many schools, even P5 schools, schedule FCS teams in part to ensure bowl eligibility. While I wouldn't go as far as saying FBS schools should not be able to play FCS opponents I do wish that FCS wins did not count toward bowl eligibility. Then you would see more P5s knocking on the door to schedule G5s and a good recruiter at a G5 school could use that to his or her advantage.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 12:30 PM, ZachTheZip said:

Nice to have both of the most recent MAC rejects on the schedule together. Get those two and Marshall and UCF on the schedule in the same season and that's actually a pretty nice OOC schedule filled entirely with former MAC teams.

For those 50 or so visitors, here is a link on Visiting UMass Travel Guide: https://csnbbs.com/thread-818378.html

You'd be please to hear that construction has started on the new bathrooms,. FYI construction has started on indoor practice facility plus the new video boards and hospitality plaza should be completed as well.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:35 PM, GJGood said:

While I am not a huge fan of playing FCS schools I do think the Zips needed to schedule a near certain win for 2021. Those other three non-conference games are rough.

Hey, the Tom Arth Era will revitalize Akron football; and we might be able to catch State Ohio University on a down year.  I have doubts their current coach will last very long.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

For a University that is struggling mightily financially, not sure paying FCS schools is the wisest use of the money. Also, I made some changes to your post for the ideal scheduling in my eyes. 

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy... :tomato::puke:

Isn't 1 FCS team allowed to be counted towards Bowl eligibility?  It'd be negligence on the part of the athletic department not to schedule an FCS team to get closer to the magical 7 wins.  You know as well as I do that going to Bowl games ends up costing us money, but the cost is "justified" because it's "advertisement" or some such nonsense.  But it still stands that it makes no sense that they wouldn't schedule one.

But why can't they schedule FCS teams like YSU, which they did for 2020?  Those at least have meaning to locals...

On 5/26/2019 at 6:24 AM, Balsy said:

But why can't they schedule FCS teams like YSU, which they did for 2020?  Those at least have meaning to locals...

"Local" FCS teams (within a 3 hour drive):

Youngstown

Robert Morris

Duquesne

Not much to pick from. 

• 2 weeks later...