Non-Conference Future Schedules

94zipgrad

On 2/15/2019 at 11:36 PM, InTheZone said:

My daughter had an AAU track meet at Liberty last year. Their facilities are absolutely unreal. Hands down top 20 in the nation, better than 90 percent of the P5 schools I’ve been to. In fact their entire campus was quite a sight. With Hugh Freeze running their ship now I don’t think we’ll be getting a million dollars to go down there and win. By 2022 we’re probably going to go down there and get worked.

If we’re going to lose on the road, I’d prefer it to be to an SEC or Big 10 team. Another stupid scheduling decision, right up there with YSU

This article reminded me of this post.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/08/liberty-university-falwell-black-athletes-football-sports.amp?via=homepage_taps_top&__twitter_impression=true

14 hours ago, LZIp said:

I took much criticism on this board when I stated this would be an issue for them 18 months ago. With the newest civil rights movement making more people woke things will only get worse for them. Just one month or so ago I saw a 5* basketball recruit commit to Howard. Players are going to play where they feel wanted and respected.

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Treon Sibley transferred down there. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Even stranger, Turner Gill and Kelvin Edwards are returning to Liberty in administrative positions.

Seems like Treon is joining 68 black players on the Flames 2020 football roster who apparently have yet to recognize the oppressive attitude that hangs over the Liberty campus like smog over L.A.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Even stranger, Turner Gill and Kelvin Edwards are returning to Liberty in administrative positions.

Seems like Treon is joining 68 black players on the Flames 2020 football roster who apparently have yet to recognize the oppressive attitude that hangs over the Liberty campus like smog over L.A.

I hear ya.  Yeah, I sort of posted that out of context.  I wasn't going with the white oppression angle.  I was just saying I was excited to see Treon in a Zips uni & really surprised/disappointed when he transferred before ever playing a down for the Zips.  IIRC, Treon wasn't recruited by Liberty out of high school.  So when he transferred there it caught me by surprise.  But I digress...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 11:32 AM, kreed5120 said:

I took much criticism on this board when I stated this would be an issue for them 18 months ago. With the newest civil rights movement making more people woke things will only get worse for them. Just one month or so ago I saw a 5* basketball recruit commit to Howard. Players are going to play where they feel wanted and respected.

image.png

And you're still completely wrong.  That's a team that went 8-5 last year, won a bowl game, and has a former SEC starter that transferred in starting for them at quarterback this year.  We just went 0-12 and may not even have the money to play football next year.  They're light years ahead of us, and it's not even close.  Two guys transferring over politics doesn't really change that.  They'll continue to get players we can't with resources we don't have.  Acting like that isn't the case because you hate what the school stands for doesn't change that.

17 hours ago, InTheZone said:

And you're still completely wrong.  That's a team that went 8-5 last year, won a bowl game, and has a former SEC starter that transferred in starting for them at quarterback this year.  We just went 0-12 and may not even have the money to play football next year.  They're light years ahead of us, and it's not even close.  Two guys transferring over politics doesn't really change that.  They'll continue to get players we can't with resources we don't have.  Acting like that isn't the case because you hate what the school stands for doesn't change that.

Light years ahead of us isn't saying much. You could probably put 120 FBS and half a dozen or so FCS schools in that category... 6 of those wins were against Hampton (FCS), New Mexico (2-10), NMSU 2X (2-10), UMASS (1-11), and Maine (FCS). Their 18 point win over Buffalo was  impressive, but that's it. Reality of the situation is they can continue to throw all they money they want at FBS, but they will never reach  the level of a BYU, Boise St, or Cincy. They will always be a Sunbelt, C-USA, MAC caliber team.

• 2 years later...

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/akron/

FUTURE AKRON NON-CONFERENCE OPPONENTS

09/01 - Saint Francis U.

09/10 - at Michigan State

09/17 - at Tennessee

09/24 - at Liberty

09/02 - at Temple

09/09 - Morgan State

09/16 - at Kentucky

09/23 - at Indiana

08/31 - Kentucky

09/21 - at South Carolina

08/30 - Wyoming

09/06 - at Nebraska

09/13 - at UAB

09/05 - at Kentucky

09/19 - at Minnesota

09/11 - at San Jose State

09/09 - at Wyoming

09/18 - San Jose State

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Interesting he says winning and money are equal in importance in scheduling. They aren't. Actually , I would ask, for whom? 

See, he is asking us to believe ongoing failure is acceptable as long as it is balanced out with money. Winning leads to more winning and the Sun Belt is proving that out. Money leads to athletic directors destroying their employers in an effort to get another job. Essentially he is asking people to accept losing in exchange for athletic directors getting better jobs. 

My memory isn't clear. Did he make a scheduling decision this year and what was that decision?

Edited by GP1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

Interesting he says winning and money are equal in importance in scheduling. They aren't. Actually , I would ask, for whom? 

See, he is asking us to believe ongoing failure is acceptable as long as it is balanced out with money. Winning leads to more winning and the Sun Belt is proving that out. Money leads to athletic directors destroying their employers in an effort to get another job. Essentially he is asking people to accept losing in exchange for athletic directors getting better jobs. 

My memory isn't clear. Did he make a scheduling decision this year and what was that decision?

This is a Larry Williams game, and I don’t think Chuckie liked how the schedule shaped out this year. I’m curious as to what games he’ll try to schedule down the line. 

41 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I thought Guthrie scheduled Tennessee to pay for the Arth buyout? Was TN put in schedule by Williams?

Yeah, Williams added that one shortly before he announced his resignation or whatever it was. It didn’t become public until September though, once Guthrie was already in place. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

I don't know how you came to this conclusion, but I took this the exact opposite. I understood this tweet as Guthrie saying he had no control over the schedule, but if he did, Akron would not have played 2 Top 25 teams. 

• Like 4

So...Akron sacrifices young men on the OOC games' altar for the money. The players risk injuries, the fans lose interest, the students don't attend games because the scores are embarrassing, the parents pray that their boys won't get significant injuries, and the school's football team reputation suffers so the best players enroll elsewhere. Sounds like a great plan to deep six football at UA.

Edited by Football grandma
Typo
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't know how you came to this conclusion, but I took this the exact opposite. I understood this tweet as Guthrie saying he had no control over the schedule, but if he did, Akron would not have played 2 Top 25 teams. 

That's how I took it. As sure, hes happy the money is there, but he understands the tweets I assume hes getting from fans angry about the schedule. His defense in the tweet was that schedules come to be years in advance and there wasnt much he could do about this. And I understand that, his hands were tied.

The schedule this year is insane. One big game per year is fine with me, I like the high of feeling like we have a chance before the clock starts. But back to back MSU and TN, and now against a very good Liberty team, is downright deflating. I'm keeping faith that MAC play will be fun for us fans.

Zips just arent ready for this type of schedule. And whoring ourselves out is only fun for very limited people, and I can assure everyone the fans arent enjoying this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Football grandma said:

So...Akron sacrifices young men on the OOC games' alter for the money. The players risk injuries, the fans lose interest, the students don't attend games because the scores are embarrassing, the parents pray that their boys won't get significant injuries, and the school's football team reputation suffers so the best players enroll elsewhere. Sounds like a great plan to deep six football at UA.

I took Guthrie’s tweet to mean that this is exactly what we will NOT be doing any longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't trust MAC athletic directors to work in the best interest of their employers. Until I see different I will continue interpreting their statements in this manner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I took Guthrie’s tweet to mean that this is exactly what we will NOT be doing any longer.

You are right on the money. Charles hates these money games. Starting in 2024 we will see a much better schedule. Throw out what someone else posted earlier in this thread about who we play starting in 24. 2 new games have been scheduled and we should have 6 home games. The key to success is scheduling OOC games we can win. We need to take the extra 3-5 $million we will be getting from the new football deal and use it to improve our chances of being a winning program. No facilities improvements or using it to cut the existing budget. Winning breeds winning.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Football grandma said:

So...Akron sacrifices young men on the OOC games' alter for the money. The players risk injuries, the fans lose interest, the students don't attend games because the scores are embarrassing, the parents pray that their boys won't get significant injuries, and the school's football team reputation suffers so the best players enroll elsewhere. Sounds like a great plan to deep six football at UA.

Football Grandma, I typically really enjoy your posts, but I will have to respectfully disagree with this post even though you make some very good points. 

-The main topic is that all competitive athletes want to play against the best competition.  They do not back down.  When I was a D1 and high school athlete I enjoyed playing great players and I looked forward to the challenges.    

-Injuries are risked every time a football player at any level goes onto the field

-For my 30+ years of following Akron football, fans and students have not attended the games.  This needs to change, but I do not know how to make the modification.

-The MAC has not and will not get the best players.

Go Zips!!!

50 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Football Grandma, I typically really enjoy your posts, but I will have to respectfully disagree with this post even though you make some very good points. 

-The main topic is that all competitive athletes want to play against the best competition.  They do not back down.  When I was a D1 and high school athlete I enjoyed playing great players and I looked forward to the challenges.    

-Injuries are risked every time a football player at any level goes onto the field

-For my 30+ years of following Akron football, fans and students have not attended the games.  This needs to change, but I do not know how to make the modification.

-The MAC has not and will not get the best players.

Go Zips!!!

Ok, friend, I'll meet you halfway. Yes injuries are are risked in every game, but more so in one where the players are out-matched in a " meaningless" game, which is my point. I agree that competing with others who are more mentally or physically better than us makes us step up our play some. However, it also slowly gnaws away our self confidence. Akron needs to take an honest, in-depth look at WHY football isn't a big crowd interest. Too few winning seasons, flash in the pan success some years? So poll the students and alumni! It would be enlightening I'm sure. Why can't the MAC draw talent? I'd like to read your opinion on that.