Non-Conference Future Schedules

94zipgrad

31 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Things are never as they seem. The real winner is SMU. The get rid of four malcontents the next coach won't have to deal with and it opens up the door for four guys who want to be there.

These four guys will just go somewhere else and be malcontents. Good luck to that team.

Maybe. Or maybe the find the right fit and have successfully (maybe lucrative) football careers.

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Maybe. Or maybe the find the right fit and have successfully (maybe lucrative) football careers.

It could be a lot of things. The free movement of labor is good for everyone. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

I respectfully disagree. The juice isn't worth the squeeze and being a sacrificial lamb year in and year out gets old. I'd be happy if Akron scheduled one per season, sometimes two, but that's it. I'd prefer one only per season.

I think the MAC is starting to be looked at as the early season easy win schedule for these P5 schools. Kent had 3 hard games, we all know Akron's schedule, and the other MAC schools aren't any different. Sure, Kent hung with Georgia, but I doubt many new fans tuned into watching them play last weekend against Ohio. People have short memories. If Kent would have won, that would have been huge, but I bet most college football fans don't even remember that Kent hung with Georgia 2 weeks ago. 

Trust me, I want Akron to have respect. I want the MAC conference to be taken seriously. But each MAC school losing, sometimes getting demolished, in 3 early games per season against P5 schools is not the answer. I'm tired of it, frankly. I like the thought of a miracle each season, but Tennessee and MSU games were miserable. And just because I'm an Akron fan, who is in the MAC conference, shouldn't have to mean I just have to take it on the chin because the bigger schools deserves to have a win more.

I agree as far as how 'useful' the sacrifice games might be. Yes, they are a pay day. The vast majority of the time thats it.

When teams like Akron are losing 3 out of their first 4 or 4 out of their first four fans such as we have lose even more inerest in the team. "Akron is 1-3 again,good night". The players get beat up, see Irons. What fans there are definitely stop following the team. Did Akron beating NC State,Northwestern or Syracuse suddenly cause casual fans to get interested? Having lived through all of those I can tell you it did not.

One thing that might change the equation  is that if the P5's went completely their own way and maybe actually got penalized by the playoff committee for playing 'cupcakes'. Then the rest of DI would have to reorganize and play more competitive games every week. Lets hope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

One thing that might change the equation  is that if the P5's went completely their own way and maybe actually got penalized by the playoff committee for playing 'cupcakes'. Then the rest of DI would have to reorganize and play more competitive games every week. Lets hope.

I think you are correct and in time, God willing, will be proven correct. 

What worries me is this is the direction college football is rapidly heading and nobody at our level is openly talking about what to do next. We aren't going to be welcome and what to do next needs to be discussed NOW and in public. 

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

Everything you said is true.  I always ask a basic question, "How does decision X by Athletic Director Y help the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community around their school?". As it relates to college athletics, you can always replace Athletic Director with University President or Conference Commissioner. Whenever any one of these three people base any decision on money or "exposure" (whatever in the heck that is) or number of re-Tweets, they are not acting in the best interest of the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community. The evidence is overwhelming they are NOT. What they are doing is either effing insanity or diabolically contrary to the interests of their employers. Sometimes I wish I lived closer to Akron and could go to more games....Then I realized by going to more games I would be enabling this insanity. MAC scheduling is absolute insanity and the Presidents of the universities have to get together, like the Presidents of the Sun Belt did, and put an end to the insanity. The ADs are not going to do it on their own because given the chance they will almost always act contrary to the interests of their employers.  

One P5, One FCS, One G5, Nine MAC. Less travel for the athletes, students, alumni and fans. More home games for the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community. Better competition is better for the players. More entertaining games are better for the students, alumni, fans and general community. I could do this all day. 

Hang in there GP1 because this is where Akron is heading starting in 2023. I think the MAC is going to place limits on these sacrificial pay games. The one P5 will include limits like no scheduling top 30 teams from outside your home state. Also a minimum of 6 home games.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

I agree as far as how 'useful' the sacrifice games might be. Yes, they are a pay day. The vast majority of the time thats it.

When teams like Akron are losing 3 out of their first 4 or 4 out of their first four fans such as we have lose even more inerest in the team. "Akron is 1-3 again,good night". The players get beat up, see Irons. What fans there are definitely stop following the team. Did Akron beating NC State,Northwestern or Syracuse suddenly cause casual fans to get interested? Having lived through all of those I can tell you it did not.

You're already seeing the P5 play fewer cupcakes. The P5 conferences have started to expand to 9 conference games instead of the traditional 8. That leaves 3 OOC games instead of the normal 4. Add in pretty much all P5 also play at least one other P5 OOC then that would leave at most only 2 cupcake OOC games.

I actually don't think our OOC schedule this year was that bad. Tennessee was obviously very good. MSU wasn't nearly as good as people thought and a good G5, which we aren't, could upset them. Liberty isn't a P5 and we were in a position to win that game, but failed to execute. Take away MSU and replace them with a middle of the road Sun Belt or CUSA and I'd still say we'd still have went 1-3 OOC. 

8 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Hang in there GP1 because this is where Akron is heading starting in 2023. I think the MAC is going to place limits on these sacrificial pay games. The one P5 will include limits like no scheduling top 30 teams from outside your home state. Also a minimum of 6 home games.

I’ve been hoping UA can take a look at the 2023 schedule and figure a way to get out of the Indiana game, maybe even the Temple game to get a 6th home game. What do you think the likelihood is of this? I haven’t heard any rumblings. 

2 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I’ve been hoping UA can take a look at the 2023 schedule and figure a way to get out of the Indiana game, maybe even the Temple game to get a 6th home game. What do you think the likelihood is of this? I haven’t heard any rumblings. 

Cancel Temple and schedule another MAC school. Preferably Toledo. 

10 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

no scheduling top 30 teams from outside your home state.

How would one even regulate that? These games are scheduled 5-10 years in advance. When we scheduled Kentucky they were probably in the 50-80 range, but now they're currently a top 15 team. I presume they will be ranked next year when we start our series.

5 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

We may want to keep both those games on the schedule. I suspect Indiana’s win over Illinois was a fluke and they won’t win many more conference games. If that turns out to be the case, it will probably lead to a new HC in 2023.

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

I think you are correct and in time, God willing, will be proven correct. 

What worries me is this is the direction college football is rapidly heading and nobody at our level is openly talking about what to do next. We aren't going to be welcome and what to do next needs to be discussed NOW and in public. 

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I'm going to ask this again like I do every other time you've posted this, and hopefully get an answer - why would Toledo want to schedule us OOC?

Less travel for the players.

Players from NE Ohio get to play a game close to home every other year. Toledo has a lot of players from NE Ohio. 

Students get an easy road trip or an extra game at home. 

Alumni get an easy to travel to game or extra home game. 

Fans get an easy to travel to game or an extra home game. 

General community gets a game against a familiar opponent that might bring fans making for a fun and exciting afternoon. Local business is stimulated by more people spending money. 

Toledo vs Akron series attendance:

2021 @ Toledo - 11,281

2017 @ Toledo - 20,414

2016 @ Akron - 6,559

2013 @ Akron - 12,506

2012 @ Toledo - 14,589

2008 @ Akron - 10,134

In summary, no one really seems to give much of a hoot when we play them. So out of your 4 reasons, they might schedule us so their players get a short bus ride. Good luck

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Toledo vs Akron series attendance:

2021 @ Toledo - 11,281

2017 @ Toledo - 20,414

2016 @ Akron - 6,559

2013 @ Akron - 12,506

2012 @ Toledo - 14,589

2008 @ Akron - 10,134

In summary, no one really seems to give much of a hoot when we play them. So out of your 4 reasons, they might schedule us so their players get a short bus ride. Good luck

The games haven’t been competitive, that and a rivalry is what draws a crowd. Or should……

4 hours ago, GP1 said:

Less travel for the players.

Players from NE Ohio get to play a game close to home every other year. Toledo has a lot of players from NE Ohio. 

Students get an easy road trip or an extra game at home. 

Alumni get an easy to travel to game or extra home game. 

Fans get an easy to travel to game or an extra home game. 

General community gets a game against a familiar opponent that might bring fans making for a fun and exciting afternoon. Local business is stimulated by more people spending money. 

Students barely come to home games, they aren’t going to travel to Toledo. Keep P5’s on the schedule, it’s good for everyone.

22 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Who is everyone and why is it good for them?

-The MAC schools get much needed money for their program.

-The players want to play on the big stage against the best competition, on bigtime TV networks and love the thrill of pulling off the major upset.

-The P5 schools get their win...usually. 

-The MAC fans love to travel to these big venues to watch their team play in front of 80,000+. I would much rather travel to watch them play at Kentucky, or Indiana, or Tennessee than Buffalo or Central Michigan etc.  Sure it sucks when it's a beatdown like the Zips got this year but as they improve they will compete. 

Edited by MangoZip
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

I respectfully disagree. The juice isn't worth the squeeze and being a sacrificial lamb year in and year out gets old. I'd be happy if Akron scheduled one per season, sometimes two, but that's it. I'd prefer one only per season.

I think the MAC is starting to be looked at as the early season easy win schedule for these P5 schools. Kent had 3 hard games, we all know Akron's schedule, and the other MAC schools aren't any different. Sure, Kent hung with Georgia, but I doubt many new fans tuned into watching them play last weekend against Ohio. People have short memories. If Kent would have won, that would have been huge, but I bet most college football fans don't even remember that Kent hung with Georgia 2 weeks ago. 

Trust me, I want Akron to have respect. I want the MAC conference to be taken seriously. But each MAC school losing, sometimes getting demolished, in 3 early games per season against P5 schools is not the answer. I'm tired of it, frankly. I like the thought of a miracle each season, but Tennessee and MSU games were miserable. And just because I'm an Akron fan, who is in the MAC conference, shouldn't have to mean I just have to take it on the chin because the bigger schools deserves to have a win more.

Exposure to compete and showcase our school on a national stage should always be the answer. 

If not then we are nothing more than a intramural program draining money 

• Like 1

Does the MAC have restrictions against this type of match-up?  Can anyone tell me of any other MAC schools who have scheduled a MAC opponent that the result doesn't count in the MAC standings, say for the last 20 to 25 years?  Just curious if this has been done before?