Non-Conference Future Schedules

94zipgrad

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Just to add onto my prior post I actually like that 2 for 1 deal we signed with Kentucky even though they turned out to be pretty good. We talk all the time about how we can't get anyone good to come to the JAR to play us in basketball, but here in football we very well could be hosting a ranked team in 2024. When is the last time Akron has hosted a ranked team? Would it Marshall back in Leftwich days or Miami during the Big Ben days?

Between now and 2024 Kentucky will reach into their huge pile of SEC Network money and buy out the @Akron game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

I respect both of your opinions for sure, I just disagree. I'd rather drop down to FCS and have a chance at winning per these points. No, I'm not advocating for that, but what's the point if people would rather sell our program for easy wins for other schools just to get money for the program? 

Yeah, MAC schools get money for going to these slaughtering's called games. Not much fun for a fan. And I couldn't care less as a fan traveling to a big stadium to see the Zips lose 9.9/10 times. Sure, an upset is possible, but not really likely in recent years. 

And as far as exposure goes, its done nothing positive for program. Literally. The Zips are seen as a bigger joke these days since the MAC is deemed as a preseason cupcake scrimmage for these big schools to get an easy win to jumpstart their season. In fact, by the time the Zips come back home 1-2 or 1-3, the local community here is even more turned off by them because a 1-3 hole looks like the season is a wash anyways. ESPN makes snarky comments in their articles about us being in the bottom 10 weekly. All these years of exposure sure hasn't done us any favors. 

Like I said, I'm all for ONE game like Tennessee or Ohio State per year, but other than that, I'd prefer the Zips to play against other MAC schools or so. 

I see both your points. Usually I'm of the mindset of "if its not broke, don't fix it". But sadly, this scheduling IS broken. It needs fixed in my opinion. 

We are a losing program. Winning solves just about most of what you are implying. 

And overall its not just about winning, Its about building up a program to be able to compete in and out of conference which we have been unable to do since we previously hired a mediocre privileged coach who had an average record at Chattanooga. I dunno your age but I am age 42 and Graduated in 2006. Dating back to 2001 when I transferred to UA I remember every big Non Conference Game in both football and basketball. I remember us upsetting Marshall who pretty much had one foot out the door leaving the MAC for Conference USA the following year on Jason Taylor night which was a nationally televised game on ESPN at the Rubber Bowl in 2004 and us actually having a Heisman campaign for Charlie Frye. I remember Dennis Kennedy scoring the game winning touchdown against Chuck Amato's NC State in 2006 and Coach J. D. Brookhart being interviewed about it the next day on ESPN's top rated show (Cold Pizza). I remember us having Michigan in the red zone with a chance to win on the last play in 2013. Having the lead with 3.2 seconds left against Ohio State in hoops. Playing UNC (hoops) in Chapel Hill. Being huddled with co workers behind the front desk at the Zips Rec Center watching Akron play Penn State. I remember many of us believing we had a solid shot against Nebraska in 2018 prime time under the lights on ESPN. Game canceled due to lightning and then us going on to upset Northwestern 2 wks later. 

Win or lose those games matter to my generation. The notoriety that as a proud Alum I can say hey that's my school on tv playing the big dogs. And lets be clear here. I live in the Maryland DC area. Ask any random person what's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of for example Ohio State. Majority will say football. Outside of Ohio the average Joe does not even know The University of Akron exist and ask what's the first thing that comes to mind? they will most likely say Lebron. So yes seeing my school getting any national coverage on tv outside of the MAC is a positive across the board. As a proud Alum I will always believe we can build up this program to compete with anybody and will Never concede to lowering the bar of success to FCS. The day that happens is the day the program loses me.

8 hours ago, GP1 said:

Between now and 2024 Kentucky will reach into their huge pile of SEC Network money and buy out the @Akron game.

A conference known for playing cupcakes in regards to their out of conference schedule because their conference play is soooooooo brutal, That will never happen. 

Edited by dre22era

On 10/4/2022 at 2:31 PM, Lee Adams said:

I agree as far as how 'useful' the sacrifice games might be. Yes, they are a pay day. The vast majority of the time thats it.

When teams like Akron are losing 3 out of their first 4 or 4 out of their first four fans such as we have lose even more inerest in the team. "Akron is 1-3 again,good night". The players get beat up, see Irons. What fans there are definitely stop following the team. Did Akron beating NC State,Northwestern or Syracuse suddenly cause casual fans to get interested? Having lived through all of those I can tell you it did not.

One thing that might change the equation  is that if the P5's went completely their own way and maybe actually got penalized by the playoff committee for playing 'cupcakes'. Then the rest of DI would have to reorganize and play more competitive games every week. Lets hope.

Remember for a moment the reason for playing the FBS powerhouses. To bankroll a big part of the athletics department. This year we’re playing TWO top 25 teams, for what other reason than to keep the other programs  competitive in Division 1. 

I would be crazy happy if the Zips could be competitive in the MAC, maybe sniff a MAC Championship and play in a bowl game. Football is my favorite sport by far. To me it’s either the athletics department is using payday games (at least 2 this year) to keep  soccer and basketball and others competitive, or they were completely inept in hiring football staff before this one (the jury is still out). 

Edited by Spin

16 hours ago, Spin said:

Remember for a moment the reason for playing the FBS powerhouses. To bankroll a big part of the athletics department. This year we’re playing TWO top 25 teams, for what other reason than to keep the other programs  competitive in Division 1. 

I would be crazy happy if the Zips could be competitive in the MAC, maybe sniff a MAC Championship and play in a bowl game. Football is my favorite sport by far. To me it’s either the athletics department is using payday games (at least 2 this year) to keep  soccer and basketball and others competitive, or they were completely inept in hiring football staff before this one (the jury is still out). 

Football isn't bankrolling other sports, especially with the costly buy outs we've been paying recently. The stadium payment alone is like $4.5 million. 

16 hours ago, zippy5 said:

though to be fair, we said the same about Kentucky when that was scheduled too, probably

If Rutgers becomes a top 15 team with a Heisman candidate/top NFL prospect at QB, we can market that we have magical powers to middling P5 programs that will turn their program into a powerhouse upon scheduling us. That would truly be a miracle. 

Love this game. That 2024 schedule is Kentucky, Rutgers, South Carolina for the time being. I can't remember if that 2024 UK game is the one that we're looking to move off of? 2027 has Rutgers and San Jose State. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I can't remember if that 2024 UK game is the one that we're looking to move off of?

I really hope not. That Kentucky game is scheduled to be at home. I can't recall the last time Akron has had a ranked OOC opponent come to Akron to play a game.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If Rutgers becomes a top 15 team with a Heisman candidate/top NFL prospect at QB, we can market that we have magical powers to middling P5 programs that will turn their program into a powerhouse upon scheduling us. That would truly be a miracle. 

Love this game. That 2024 schedule is Kentucky, Rutgers, South Carolina for the time being. I can't remember if that 2024 UK game is the one that we're looking to move off of? 2027 has Rutgers and San Jose State. 

That’s a brutal OOC lineup. Kentucky and Carolina will likely be ranked. Schiano has Rutgers on the upswing too. 

Akron should strive to schedule bottom feeder acc and Big ten games for their pic schedule. Relatively easy travel for players, students, alumni and fans. Use history as your guide and ignore any recent success of a program. Most everything reverts back to averages. These schools would look as follows in any order: Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, Indiana and Minnesota. 

If they were sane and played one P5 game a year, I just gave them 8 years of games with some shot at winning with a nice check attached. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

That’s a brutal OOC lineup. Kentucky and Carolina will likely be ranked. Schiano has Rutgers on the upswing too. 

Thought I would add this. It’s Charlotte’s D, which is terrible, but an insane leap by former 5 star running back Marshawn Lloyd. Lloyd is explosive as they come now that he’s healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Greg Schiano has had them ranked as high as #7 (AP) in the past; I expect they will be getting pretty good again soon.

What's going to hurt Schiano is that Rutgers plays in the second best division in all of FBS. Most years UM, OSU, and PSU are going to all be in the top ~15. Maryland has steadily been improving under Locksley and MSU is normally good to great. 

I almost feel the B10 would need to realign before Rutgers would have much of a chance.

Big Ten brought in Maryland and Rutgers strictly for Big Ten TV network and TV contract purposes as their regions MD and NY/NJ are unclaimed in regards to fanbases. They could care less how those schools perform. They care more about eyeballs on TV sets and already made bank on their investment in regards to getting the TV deal that now gives each conference school $100 mil a year. 

Edited by dre22era

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I really hope not. That Kentucky game is scheduled to be at home. I can't recall the last time Akron has had a ranked OOC opponent come to Akron to play a game.

Was Pittsburgh ranked when they came here a few years ago?  Can't recall....

23 minutes ago, zippy-claws said:

Was Pittsburgh ranked when they came here a few years ago?  Can't recall....

Nope. Iowa State went on to have a very good year when they came to visit in 2017, and that fan base traveled very well. They even bussed their band 10+ hours to Akron! WMU in 2016 was ranked when they came in and destroyed Akron 41-0. Marshall was ranked in the Leftwich game in 2002. Ranked OOC coming to Akron? I don't think that has ever happened at the FBS/1A level. 

A Kentucky situation may happen (though I'm skeptical on how good they'll be going into next year), but the downside is we get a potentially ranked SEC school at the stadium which is cool. Control what you can control and if it doesn't work out, so be it. A Rutgers or Kentucky is also going to be a safer bet than a Tennessee, MSU, OSU, Clemson, etc.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, kreed5120 said:

I am almost positive that it was Virginia Tech, or was the Zips on the road that day?