Game 28—Miami

clarkwgriswold

The Zips look to avenge their ugly mid-season loss to Miami this Saturday at the JAR.  The Redhawks had dropped four in a row in the MAC before heading into Buffalo Tuesday night and pulling the upset.  They are led by 6-3 freshman guard Nike Sibande’s 14.6 ppg and 6-9 senior forward Logan McLane’s 5.8 rpg.  In the January fiasco in Oxford, 6-7 freshman forward Dalonte Brown led all scorers with 17 points.

• Dr Z changed the title to Game 28—Miami
Just now, skip-zip said:

I'm sure you can find an earlier post where I thought they would be the worst team in the league this year, because of the key players that transferred out.  They were obviously fortunate to bring in some guys who made an immediate impact. 

But I'm still shocked that they knocked off Buffalo.  

Buffalo finishing like we did last year.

26 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm sure you can find an earlier post where I thought they would be the worst team in the league this year, because of the key players that transferred out.  They were obviously fortunate to bring in some guys who made an immediate impact. 

But I'm still shocked that they knocked off Buffalo.  

I said after Buffalo DESTROYED us that I wasn't impressed with Buffalo due to their inability to make shots and put away a PATHETIC Zips squad that day within the first 5 minutes of the game. They've proven me right. 

Miami is the shock of the MAC this year with their strong competitiveness, and I'm excited for tomorrow's game. 

41 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I said after Buffalo DESTROYED us that I wasn't impressed with Buffalo due to their inability to make shots and put away a PATHETIC Zips squad that day within the first 5 minutes of the game.

I don't think anyone will probably forget standing for about the first 5 minutes of the game before we put our first point on the board.  And yes, I do recall being a little bit unimpressed, thinking they should have won that game by 50 point. 

But, that still doesn't change the fact that I was shocked that this Miami team, at this stage of their rebuilding, was able to get a win like that.   Buffalo is still the team to beat, and I would bet that they don't have any letdowns when the games get a little more important.  

Miami will play in your face defense on the entire offensive end of the court. That is why they are a surprise team and were able to beat Buffalo. This is a bad matchup for the Zips. Buffalo has been in a funk for several weeks now. They have a ton of talent but are also a very selfish team. Lots of me first players who don't get along well. When things go bad there is a lot of finger pointing. I predict they get knocked out of the tournament before Saturday night.

For several years now, their physical talent has always been more impressive than how they seem to play as a team.  But when being "in a funk for several weeks now" still means that they're 4-2 in the month of February, I think that's a testament to how good someone thinks they really are.

A good team getting knocked out of the MAC tournament early is never a surprise.  I think the way they play over the next couple of weeks might indicate more about their potential vulnerability.    

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

Buffalo has been in a funk for several weeks now. They have a ton of talent but are also a very selfish team. Lots of me first players who don't get along well. When things go bad there is a lot of finger pointing. I predict they get knocked out of the tournament before Saturday night.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

I thought the key to our win in Bowling Green were the points from guys other than Duvivier, Ivey and Utomi. Lucas Smith, Klac, Gbadebo, Parish and Patton.  They each played good defense and collectively scored 27 points. That is a first for this team, where everyone contributed to a win. It is difficult to compete when only 3 players control the ball and do all the scoring. The above guys may be frosh and walkons, but for this team to compete they have to touch the ball, make offensive moves to the basket and shoot the ball. The highlight of this approach was Gbadebo shooting a 3 without hesitation because he was open. Klac posting up and making an offensive move. Smith scored 9 points. That was a career high. If we can get some consistent scoring from this group we should be able to compete in every game. Go Zips!!!

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 2

I think it may all be much simpler.  if Utomi pours in 30 points again, we have a chance to win any game.  When he scores 10, almost no chance of winning.  The distribution of scoring can seem to be the solution.  But for the most part, the guys shooting the ball need to be making baskets.  And on this team, we know who's going to be taking a majority of the shots.