Game 28—Miami

clarkwgriswold

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm not writing K-Lac off, but that's an apples to oranges comparison. The offense last year was ran through Big Dog, who had significantly more touches per game. You fail to mention Big Dog's 103 assists were a team best. He averaged 1.22 assists per turnover. K-Lac is averaging 4.5 turnovers per assist.

I'm not the one who made the blanket statement that a center leading the team in turnovers is mind-boggling and is indicative of how their career will go. Of course Big Dog was great and I'm not trying to discredit him at all. Mark has also had plenty of freshman struggles that I'm not trying to dismiss at all.

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Skip chooses to ignore the fact that the MAC POY (also a center and senior) led the team in turnovers last year over an entire season, not just the small sample size of 1 game.

http://gozips.com/documents/2017/6/28//Akron_MBB_Stats_2016_17.pdf?id=12177

Writing a kid off in their true freshman season is honestly one of the more ignorant things I've read on this site, let alone when you did it 2 minutes into his career. Confirmation bias at its finest.

Wrong.   I knew plenty about him before he came here, because he was a NE Ohio HS player, and I still have relationships with several coaches in this area.  Same as I knew similar things about Egner, Sullivan, Forsythe, etc., before they came here.  So, no, this is not a shot in the dark based on a few minutes of play.  And I saw practices and scrimmages before the season started.  Seeing him on the floor simply confirmed what I had already been told that I would see.  

Why are you calling this "bias"?  You think I made an early judgement because of his skin color?  I've joined many, many discussions on this board whereby I've stated some of the guys who I believe have good potential.  Unfortunately, he just does not happen to be one of them, and I can't wait to have some other guys return, who were all already playing in front of him anyway.  

In addition, you do realize that having a staff that can develop someone from a 300 pounder with a few raw skills into a Conference MVP is EXTREMELY rare.  Don't you?

(cue the next anti-Dambrot post)

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I'm not the one who made the blanket statement that a center leading the team in turnovers is mind-boggling

I did.  Because its astounding for a guy who rarely touches the ball, and is a post player, to have 5 turnovers in a single game.  And his seasonal trend on turnovers in relation to his other production is really bad too, as Kreed detailed for you.   

14 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I did.  Because its astounding for a guy who rarely touches the ball, and is a post player, to have 5 turnovers in a single game.  And his seasonal trend on turnovers in relation to his other production is really bad too, as Kreed detailed for you.   

You need to take a deep breath. He is 6-11 and athletic. The rest will come. Some things take time.

12 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

He is 6-11 and athletic. The rest will come. Some things take time.

The first two are your opinion.  I disagree.  But let me just say that Zeke Marshall was the example of an unusually "athletic" center.  And I wasn't Zeke's biggest fan.  

But I will address the 3rd point:

Poke is a 6'8" bean pole, with no post game at all, and mostly all bench time last year.   He was playing 20 minutes per game. 

Sayles (who shows good potential) sat the entire year last year.  He was playing 15 minutes per game. 

During that time, Mark was playing a few minutes per game, I believe?

Does this tell you anything about how the coaches are seeing this?

The "young and inexperienced" and "takes time to develop" excuse doesn't fit what's happening.  In case you didn't know, BOTH of these guys who are taking almost all of Mark's minutes are the SAME AGE.  And neither of them had the benefit of spending a year at an IMG academy to "get developed" either.  

13 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

The first two are your opinion.  I disagree.  But let me just say that Zeke Marshall was the example of an unusually "athletic" center.  And I wasn't Zeke's biggest fan.  

Poke is a 6'8" bean pole, with no post game at all, and mostly all bench time last year.   He was playing 20 minutes per game. 

Sayles (who shows good potential) sat the entire year last year.  He was playing 15 minutes per game. 

During that time, Mark was playing a few minutes per game, I believe?

Does this tell you anything about how the coaches are seeing this?

The "young and inexperienced" and "takes time to develop" excuse doesn't fit what's happening.  In case you didn't know, BOTH of these guys who are taking almost all of Mark's minutes are the SAME AGE.  And neither of them had the benefit of spending a year at an IMG academy to "get developed" either.  

It's my opinion that he is 6-11??????

Done with your nonsense.

I hate to add a third view to this as we need to all get back to the unending Dambrot debate, but I think you are all wrong.  LOL.

Mark K is a good kid and has some promise.  You can't teach 6-11.  He's fairly mobile for his size, seems like a great kid and works hard.  He also looks to be a good teammate and understands the game.

On the other hand, I suspect he's had every opportunity as a 6-11 suburban kid to go to many big man camps where he's been instructed extensively in pivot play.  He also had the year at IMG.  As I recall, he was 6-10 as a sophomore, so he's not growing into it.  Despite that, he makes elemental mistakes like constantly leaving his feet on defense and putting the ball on the floor near the basket.  He also often loses track of his situation in the game, being unnecessarily aggressive and/or careless when he's in foul trouble.

All that being said, I think he can be an effective back up big man in the MAC.  I see him possibly developing into a ten to fifteen minute, 6 to 8 point, 3 to 5 rebound guy in time.  Nothing to scoff at in the MAC.

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I see him possibly developing into a ten to fifteen minute, 6 to 8 point, 3 to 5 rebound guy in time.  Nothing to scoff at in the MAC.

I saw a post very similar to this recently.  Was it yours?  I know I commented that I thought that the numbers could be possible someday, but that I don't believe he'll get the playing time on better Zips teams (hopefully) in the coming years to get the minutes that he would need to hit those numbers.   

51 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Did I miss something Skip?  Sayles was a high school senior last year, he didn't redshirt.  

54 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I saw a post very similar to this recently.  Was it yours?  I know I commented that I thought that the numbers could be possible someday, but that I don't believe he'll get the playing time on better Zips teams (hopefully) in the coming years to get the minutes that he would need to hit those numbers.   

Yes, I am nothing if not redundant.

• Haha 1

Maybe Klac should get his own thread?  I have not seen this much discussion over one player since Kwan.  I wrote this post before the above discussion but my computer did not post it.  I am hesitant to add this but I have my own feelings about Klac as I have watched him over the season.  Here is what I wrote earlier:

If Klac was getting better every game we would not see so many zeros by his name the second half of the season.  He has been inconsistent.  He is a frosh and makes frosh mistakes.  He has been getting extended playing time, not because he earned it but because the 2 guys in front of him have been injured.  I thought he had a good game on Saturday but he has to play like that every game.  He is often slow to the ball, hesitates when he gets the ball under the basket and does not take the ball strong strong  to the hoop.  He rarely draws any fouls. Look at how many foul shots Big Dog took last year.  He also needs to improve his box out and moving to the ball on the rebound.  I would like for him to get the ball on the post more and take his man to the hoop.  Even if he is not successful the experience will help him in the future.  I like his hustle but he needs to be more physical on defense without committing stupid fouls.  

It's fun to debate. No one knows. We haven't seen any freshman, let alone a big, get forced to the floor like Kostelac in over a decade. I see some good things. He shows some good things in warm ups and some flashes in games. I'll be curious to watch him develop. He's got good body control and some athleticism. I don't see him being All-MAC, but possibly a solid player for 4 years.