2018 Schedule Released

zippy5

This pretty much gets my stamp of approval for now.  Until I eventually start seeing some bad start times.   I just wish we would have had 2 September home games.  

Maybe it's just me, but if I am going to see a weekday evening home game in November, I'd much rather it be on Thursday, as opposed to Tuesday or Wednesday.  I guess the thought of working through one tired day, and it's a Friday, seems much more appealing to me.  

P.S.  And I actually like the idea of hitting an Off Week right after the two long road trips to P5 schools.  

Edited by skip-zip

2018 Akron Football Schedule

all games are on Saturday, except the two indicated on Thursday and Friday in November. 

Apr 21  Spring Game at noon

Sep 1 @ Nebraska

Sep 8 Morgan State

Sep 15 @ Northwestern

Sep 22 @ Iowa State 

Sep 29 Bye

Oct 6 Miami of Ohio

Oct 13 @ Buffalo 

Oct 20 @ Kent State 

Oct 27 Central Michigan 

Nov 1 Northern Illinois (Thursday)

Nov 10 @ Eastern Michigan 

Nov 17 Bowling Green

Nov 23 @ Ohio (Friday)

24 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

But why does Kent always get the Wagon Wheel games early in the year but when we host it it's always late November in the cold?

I hear you.  Two years ago, they got it on a Saturday afternoon in early October.  

So, even though I am the resident "Mr. Negative", I was actually feeling pretty good about this lineup when I first saw it and responded (above).  And now some of you guys had to go and ruin it by pointing out so many of the bad things.  :unsure:

I'm surprised by the responses so far, figured there'd be more negatives.  I can't seem to find any, except that you guys turned skip-zip's smile into a frown.  I agree on the "if we've gotta play mid-week Thursday's the best night" front.  I just wish we had 6 home games...don't know why it makes a big difference.  We can drive to Can't to see the Wagon Wheel game, and the EMU game is only 3 hours away.  I was just hoping 6 games might bring a better chance of casual observers coming to game day.  Wishful thinking I know....

8 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

you guys turned skip-zip's smile into a frown. 

I know.  I was feeling pretty good about it initially, until the negatives started getting pointed out.  

8 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I just wish we had 6 home games

Look on the bright side.  Season tickets will be cheaper, so we might sell 10 more than we did last year.  :D

• Like 1

I was a bit concerned about playing NIU a mere 5 days after traveling to Mount Pleasant to face CMU.  

But that turn-around is not nearly as tough as the turn-around NIU has.  They play at BYU a mere 5 days before coming to Akron.  

Hopefully the Huskies will be a little worn out & flat.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was a bit concerned about playing NIU a mere 5 days after traveling to Mount Pleasant to face CMU.  

But that turn-around is not nearly as tough as the turn-around NIU has.  They play at BYU a mere 5 days before coming to Akron.  

Hopefully the Huskies will be a little worn out & flat.

and hopefully BYU will be better this year and beat them up some. But I agree, I feel a lot better about it after learning what NIU has to do.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I know.  I was feeling pretty good about it initially, until the negatives started getting pointed out.  

Look on the bright side.  Season tickets will be cheaper, so we might sell 10 more than we did last year.  :D

Are they cheaper? I thought plans started at $60 last year.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Are they cheaper? I thought plans started at $60 last year.

You're right.  They were $60 last year.  So, we're not just reducing the package by 1 game. We're cutting the price by more than half.   So, I will revise my previous estimate and say that we will sell 20 more season tickets this year.  :D

I'm exaggerating, but we've all discussed this before.  The only thing this is probably going to do is allow people who are already going to multiple games on GA packages to save more money.   Or, those with more expensive ticket packages might decide to go with the lower price package this year.  

The real problem is that new people don't have any interest in going to Akron football games.  If you are a person who doesn't like Spinach, you aren't going to start buying it because the price is reduced.      

19 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You're right.  They were $60 last year.  So, we're not just reducing the package by 1 game. We're cutting the price by more than half.   So, I will revise my previous estimate and say that we will sell 20 more season tickets this year.  :D

I'm exaggerating, but we've all discussed this before.  The only thing this is probably going to do is allow people who are already going to multiple games on GA packages to save more money.   Or, those with more expensive ticket packages might decide to go with the lower price package this year.  

The real problem is that new people don't have any interest in going to Akron football games.  If you are a person who doesn't like Spinach, you aren't going to start buying it because the price is reduced.      

I think you might be confused. That $25 figure listed on the picture is actually the deposit amount. GA season tickets still start at $60 so the price per game actually went up, not down. 

Season ticket plans—which include a ticket to all home games as well as a parking pass— start at only $60 each.  For fans wishing to purchase new season tickets for the 2018 season, the Ticket Office is currently taking non-refundable deposits of $25/seat.  As a season ticket holder, fans have the ability to purchase tickets for road games at Nebraska, Northwestern, and Iowa State.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kreed5120 said:

That $25 figure listed on the picture is actually the deposit amount. 

Yes, that is a little confusing.  I went and looked at it again. 

But my diatribe on offering cheap tickets stands.  B)  

Don't worry.  They will be throwing in free parking and free food vouchers to try to sell more of those tickets by July.  

• Like 1

I am OK with the schedule overall. I do wish we had a home FBS non-conference game though and that we had 6 home games overall. I guess that is the tradeoff for playing three P5 schools though.

My only other question is if we are going to put FCS schools on the schedule why do they almost always seem to come from the MEAC? No offense to that conference but I'd like to see us play and defeat schools for various regions of the country just to get our name out there. I know we played JMU one year but why never a Patriot League or OVC team from the FCS? Just curious.

21 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

I like having the bye week inbetween the non-conference and MAC games, especially after what looks like a very difficult non-conference schedule.

But why does Kent always get the Wagon Wheel games early in the year but when we host it it's always late November in the cold?

PCCC should be the 1st or 2nd game every year regardless of who is the home team. If that takes a payroll game away early in the season then schedule an SEC team during their non conference week late in the year. Or schedule one of the few independents that are left later in the year. it has to be tough for them to schedule once teams are in league play.

Edited by Steve1982
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

I like having the bye week inbetween the non-conference and MAC games, especially after what looks like a very difficult non-conference schedule.

Dix Stadium is bad enough in comfortable fall weather, let alone in winter weather. I'm in favor of moving the @ Akron game up, but the @ Can't game either moves up as well or doesn't move at all. 

I still don't understand scheduling Morgan State, but I'm glad the game on my wedding day isn't one I'll be bummed to miss. Haha. As for the rest of the schedule, it works for me. I see 6 MAC wins at least, with the 2 question marks being NIU & CMU. Let's Go Zips!

1 hour ago, Steve1982 said:

PCCC should be the 1st or 2nd game every year regardless of who is the home team. If that takes a payroll game away early in the season then schedule an SEC team during their non conference week late in the year. Or schedule one of the few independents that are left later in the year. it has to be tough for them to schedule once teams are in league play.

I looked at NIU schedule to see how the short week game with the Zips worked for them. They have BYU on the road the week prior. They actually have two payday games after their first MAC game. And they start MAC play two weeks earlier than the Zips. So more reasons to think having PCCC in week 1 or 2 would work. Also, while week 1 for the Zips is 9/1 there are NCAAF teams starting on 8/25. At first I thought that wouldn't work since school doesn't start until the 27th but 1) how many students go anyway? and 2) it may be a chance to promote a home game on move in weekend. The marketing ideas for that would be endless.

On 2/23/2018 at 11:20 AM, kreed5120 said:

I think you might be confused. That $25 figure listed on the picture is actually the deposit amount. GA season tickets still start at $60 so the price per game actually went up, not down. 

People need to be offered a $25 deposit for a $60 season ticket?  Does that actually increase sales?  Hope it works for you.  You guys deserve to have more fans coming out.