2018 Schedule Released

zippy5

On 2/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, zippy5 said:

Minimal MACtion, and a November Saturday home game to close out the home sked. Black Friday at OU for all the East marbles?

http://gozips.com/news/2018/2/22/mac-announces-2018-football-schedule.aspx?camefrom=EMCL_2120775_89050561

This article says, "As a season ticket holder, fans have the ability to purchase tickets for road games at Nebraska, Northwestern, and Iowa State."  I'll probably have a few extra tickets in a very nice location that I would consider selling under market-value to a Zips fan who is making the trip.  Let me know if you are interested.

The only 5 homes games is a bummer for me, but I see what you all are saying about all the Saturday games.  Also, with Kent and the two home games following that, we really have three games in a row we can attend.  I'm more of a basketball guy, but it seems like you all would rather have an away game against a Big 10 school rather than a home game against let's say...VMI?

12 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The only 5 homes games is a bummer for me, but I see what you all are saying about all the Saturday games.  Also, with Kent and the two home games following that, we really have three games in a row we can attend.  I'm more of a basketball guy, but it seems like you all would rather have an away game against a Big 10 school rather than a home game against let's say...VMI?

I'd have been more disappointed had this been the year we play Kent at home. As it stands there are 6 games I don't need to travel for and 5 of those are on Saturdays. Last year there were only 4 such games and 1 of those were Pine Bluff :zzz:

Edit: It should also be noted everyone knew we only had 5 home games so given that knowledge, this schedule was about the best outcome anyone could of hoped for.

Edited by kreed5120

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 10:44 PM, LZIp said:

I repeat: there is absolutely nothing wrong with scheduling one damn gimme. P5 teams schedule 2-3 every season.Defending MAC Champs Toledo even play *gasp* VMI next year.

My issue with the gimme game is that we, as a financially challenged school, are paying a school to play us. 

28 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

My issue with the gimme game is that we, as a financially challenged school, are paying a school to play us. 

I would contend that, if we can't pay Morgan State, we shouldn't be a Division 1 program.

Put me in the corner with those that are happy we get one guaranteed week to feel good about Zips football in September. Those first three away games are an absolute meat grinder.

• Like 1

And here's how much I care about Bill Connelley's "prediction" (though it is always nice to read about Akron Football):

2017 "predictions":
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 7.28.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 7.28.31 PM.png

Balsy's 2017 Prediction:  7-5, trip to Detroit.

Balsy's 2018 Prediction: 8-4.  See you in Detroit (again).  Go Zips.  

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

NIU losing best returning LB. Sounds like a crybaby using MAC awards as reason, tbh.

https://macprospectus.com/2018/03/28/jawaun-johnson-lb-niu-grad-transfer/

Bizarre rationale for leaving your team?

Seems more like he was searching for an excuse. He just wants a bigger stage to showcase himself for the NFL draft. 

All the better for the Zips. He's a good player.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Bizarre rationale for leaving your team?

Seems more like he was searching for an excuse. He just wants a bigger stage to showcase himself for the NFL draft. 

All the better for the Zips. He's a good player.

Has nobody showed him a list of MAC players that get drafted? Hell, the #1 overall pick a few years back was from CMU. 

Good riddance. :champs:

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

NIU losing best returning LB. Sounds like a crybaby using MAC awards as reason...

...JJ felt under-appreciated after 2017 season: "The MAC did some political things & I know damn well I was better than those guys ahead of me. It’s time for me to do what I do without the MAC."

Good luck to him. But also good luck to finding a conference without "political things." When your a good player in the MAC, the NFL has proven over and over, they will find you. 

• Like 1

IDK and frankly I don't really care what his reason for leaving was. He should just be careful for what he wished for. I know it's a different sport, but Jaaron Simmons had a pretty good thing going for him at OU to leave for greener pastures. Sure Michigan is having a nice run, but I can't imagine he left knowing he'd only be playing 8 minutes a night and average 1.5 ppg.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 3:49 PM, Sergeant Zip said:

SB Nation's Akron preview - Summary:  2018 is a reset year.

"Granted, I didn’t get yelled at nearly as much by Akron fans last year as I did by Hawkeye fans in 2015, but consider Akron the Iowa of the MAC East."  This is a vulgar slam in reference to the Iowa team that Colin Cowherd  correctly called "the fake ID of college football."  Their 12-0 season was book-ended with 5 losses!  

• 3 weeks later...

Overall, I'm impressed with the OOC schedule for the MAC.  Lots of Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC represented.  Good paydays for the teams.  And good early opportunities to make some noise nationally.  

:champs:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...