2018 Schedule Released

zippy5

11 hours ago, WD UA 2015 said:

Verified that espn+ is a standalone service that you need to pay for even if you already have espn app access. $5/month. I remember paying $40 just to watch the Tennesse game on demand from espn in 2012.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Can you watch everything with the $5 purchase (incl. live ESPN, ESPN2, etc)? If thats the case, I agree its not a bad deal at all for all the sports you could care to watch. Still redundant for me however as I have somebody's login that I use.

This whole thing is stupid. The $40 for the Tennessee game was bad, but the streaming services back then were still relatively new and the percentage of a bill that went to Disney was lower back then. The ESPN+ is a money gouge gimmick by Disney, and they can kiss my rear end. The percentage of my cable bill that already goes to Disney is ridiculous, let alone having to pay an extra $5 for every month there are Zips games available on there? I hate it, hate it, hate it. $5 isn't much, but it's the principal of the matter. 

Rant over (for now). 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, zippy5 said:

This is what is going to happen with cord cutting. Everyone is going to offer their service for a nominal price ($5 a month isn't really much if you can watch all the normal ESPN programming too).. and then eventually we'll all want everything in one place again :lol:

No what will happen is we will stop subscribing.  Why would I keep my ESPN/ESPN2 + ESPN3 Subscription if I don't get the content I want because I have to get another subscription to ESPN+ to get it.  I'll just drop the ESPN/ESPN2 + ESPN3 subscription then because it's now worthless to me.  The ONLY reason I had it was to watch the ESPN3 Akron games. 

These Corporations need to wake up and actually listen to consumers instead of whatever desperate gymnastics they want to do.  They're hedging their bet on us keeping our ESPN/ESPN2 + ESPN3 subscriptions and then adding ESPN+ because they believe there is value in their ESPN programing/content.  When, in reality, there is ZERO value in their programing/content (outside of the games themselves).  I watch ESPN exactly ZERO times outside of when I'm in a bar.  I watch ESPN3 all the time during the season.

21 hours ago, LZIp said:

Can you watch everything with the $5 purchase (incl. live ESPN, ESPN2, etc)? If thats the case, I agree its not a bad deal at all for all the sports you could care to watch. Still redundant for me however as I have somebody's login that I use.

No you cannot.  ESPN+ will have "unique" content only available on ESPN+ (which is basically the stuff that was unique to ESPN3; like other games and past game replay and past program replay) so there really is no reason to have a subscription to ESPN3 (which you get by having a subscription to ESPN, ESPN2).

20 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This whole thing is stupid. The $40 for the Tennessee game was bad, but the streaming services back then were still relatively new and the percentage of a bill that went to Disney was lower back then. The ESPN+ is a money gouge gimmick by Disney, and they can kiss my rear end. The percentage of my cable bill that already goes to Disney is ridiculous, let alone having to pay an extra $5 for every month there are Zips games available on there? I hate it, hate it, hate it. $5 isn't much, but it's the principal of the matter. 

Rant over (for now). 

I really enjoy this rant, and agree completely 100%.  It is absolutely the principal of the matter.  We already have an ESPN/ESPN2 subscription (which also gives us ESPN3) why screw us over?  Has nothing to do with delivering a quality product for a fair price, and everything to do with a desperate move to try and milk people.  The only rational response for us consumers is to tell them to go shove it.

I guess on the other side; Disney has royally screwed the pooch on their Star Wars investment and has now got to look at trying to recoup the $2.8 billion their in the hole on that endeavor.  :lol:

Edited by Balsy

Not sure I can blame Disney for this. Its not that less people are watching espn and caused a revenue decrease. Those that cut the cord did so because they could borrow someone else's tv credentials and watch espn for free. Its anecdotal, but I know many that do this. They figure the sports fans that quit cable/satellite (typically those that only watched sports) will be willing to shell out $5 a month for espn+ if they are already getting espn/espn2/3 for free anyway. 

But hey Disney is banning single use straws. Maybe they do know what consumers want after all - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna895041

Note-I pay for YouTube tv and supply no one my credentials.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 9:59 PM, WD UA 2015 said:

Not sure I can blame Disney for this. Its not that less people are watching espn and caused a revenue decrease. Those that cut the cord did so because they could borrow someone else's tv credentials and watch espn for free. Its anecdotal, but I know many that do this. They figure the sports fans that quit cable/satellite (typically those that only watched sports) will be willing to shell out $5 a month for espn+ if they are already getting espn/espn2/3 for free anyway. 

But hey Disney is banning single use straws. Maybe they do know what consumers want after all - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna895041

Note-I pay for YouTube tv and supply no one my credentials.

You can blame Disney...or ESPN; whoever is in charge of running their operations CAN be blamed.  As far as I'm concerned they were operating on a long outdated corporate model; where the consumers did not have a choice in their subscription.  Basic cable had ESPN 1 and 2 (which means they were subscribed) and people could not cancel a specific subscription or a subscription to cable for a few months on a whim because of cable contracts.  

What has hurt ESPN is the most is not people sharing accounts (most streaming services for TV content limit to how many screens one account can be used on concurrently), in the past people who were unwilling to pay for a subscription would go over to someone's house to watch it instead of borrowing an account.  Instead it's consumers finally actually having a choice in the manner (as frankly they should have always had).  If I can only have an ESPN subscription for 8 months that there is content worth watching I will.  I don't want it for the 4 months that I don't watch television because I'm outside.

ESPN could have been prepared for this; they could have looked at tends among millennials a decade ago when they were in college/highschool and began to think of new strategies.  Instead they're being reactionary; with a product that screws over people who actually do have subscriptions to you currently. 

7 hours ago, Balsy said:

You can blame Disney...or ESPN; whoever is in charge of running their operations CAN be blamed.  As far as I'm concerned they were operating on a long outdated corporate model; where the consumers did not have a choice in their subscription.  Basic cable had ESPN 1 and 2 (which means they were subscribed) and people could not cancel a specific subscription or a subscription to cable for a few months on a whim because of cable contracts.  

What has hurt ESPN is the most is not people sharing accounts (most streaming services for TV content limit to how many screens one account can be used on concurrently), in the past people who were unwilling to pay for a subscription would go over to someone's house to watch it instead of borrowing an account.  Instead it's consumers finally actually having a choice in the manner (as frankly they should have always had).  If I can only have an ESPN subscription for 8 months that there is content worth watching I will.  I don't want it for the 4 months that I don't watch television because I'm outside.

ESPN could have been prepared for this; they could have looked at tends among millennials a decade ago when they were in college/highschool and began to think of new strategies.  Instead they're being reactionary; with a product that screws over people who actually do have subscriptions to you currently. 

I see your point. In my situation I just don't feel like I'm being screwed with the new model compared to the old model. I went from $125 a month with directv 5 or 6 years ago to less than $60 a month for youtube tv ( with unlimited cloud dvr), netflix, and espn+, and I can watch all cfb games in high def now. With directv you were lucky to get maybe 2 zips games a year. Just comparing then (5 years ago) to now.

On 8/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, WD UA 2015 said:

I see your point. In my situation I just don't feel like I'm being screwed with the new model compared to the old model. I went from $125 a month with directv 5 or 6 years ago to less than $60 a month for youtube tv ( with unlimited cloud dvr), netflix, and espn+, and I can watch all cfb games in high def now. With directv you were lucky to get maybe 2 zips games a year. Just comparing then (5 years ago) to now.

I see what you're saying.  I haven't made a decision on what I'm doing yet; but looking at the schedule there are 6 games slated for ESPN3 2 for ESPN+.  There's a free 7-day trial for ESPN+ and both of those games are a Home game and against Kent @ Kent so I'll probably be at that one in person.  So I guess it's mostly a nothing burger this year; but I'm just worried that they'll expand on this in the future.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The ESPN+ is a money gouge gimmick by Disney, and they can kiss my rear end. The percentage of my cable bill that already goes to Disney is ridiculous, let alone having to pay an extra $5 for every month there are Zips games available on there? I hate it, hate it, hate it. $5 isn't much, but it's the principal of the matter. 

Apparently not many are buying the ESPN+ content 

• Haha 2