Chuck Amato Retires

Dr Z

Chuck Amato Retires from Coaching Football

AKRON, Ohio — University of Akron associate head coach and defensive coordinator Chuck Amato has decided to retire from coaching, the 71-year old legend announced on Monday after addressing the members of the team.

“It’s been a while that I’ve been thinking about this.” Amato said. “Bobby Bowden preached for years the three ‘F’s– faith, family, and football– in that order.  My wife has a sister and brother who are not doing well right now, and I’ve got twin boys (grandsons) in my house, and they just kill me. [he said with a laugh]  I said to myself, ‘Maybe it’s time to go ahead and let someone else do it.’ Just be happy and glad.  I’ve been around. I’ve been to the top of the mountain twice, and if it wasn’t for a wide left and a wide right, there’d be five of them (national championships). But I’m ready to retire, and I have to find something to do. If anybody out there has something they can give me, call me.”

Let's try to keep this thread about respecting coach Amato for his work and accomplishments. 

AMATO’S NO. 1 DRAFT PICKS

Mario Williams .......... (Texans– No. 1 overall pick, 2006)

Manny Lawson ............................................ (49ers, 2006)

John McCargo ................................................ (Bills, 2006)

Philip Rivers ................................................ (Giants, 2004)

Koren Robinson ................................... (Seahawks, 2001)

Andre Wadsworth.................................... Cardinals, 1998)

Sam Cowart  ................................................... (Bills, 1998)

Peter Boulware  .......................................... (Raven, 1997)

Reinard Wilson  ....................................... (Bengals, 1997)

Derrick Alexander ..................................... (Vikings, 1995)

Alphonso Carreker .................................. (Packers, 1984)

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Let's try to keep this thread about respecting coach Amato for his work and accomplishments. 

AMATO’S NO. 1 DRAFT PICKS

Mario Williams .......... (Texans– No. 1 overall pick, 2006)

Manny Lawson ............................................ (49ers, 2006)

John McCargo ................................................ (Bills, 2006)

Philip Rivers ................................................ (Giants, 2004)

Koren Robinson ................................... (Seahawks, 2001)

Andre Wadsworth.................................... Cardinals, 1998)

Sam Cowart  ................................................... (Bills, 1998)

Peter Boulware  .......................................... (Raven, 1997)

Reinard Wilson  ....................................... (Bengals, 1997)

Derrick Alexander ..................................... (Vikings, 1995)

Alphonso Carreker .................................. (Packers, 1984)

That's impressive.  

Does anyone have an opinion on potential replacements? What about tapping into the Mount Union pipeline and seeing if HC Kehres would come to Akron as the DC. Didn't he handle defense for his dad before becoming the HC. Or was he the OC? Hell, I'd gladly take him as OC too! Seriously, I'd like opinions on who we can get. And no I don't want to offer the job to Keith Dambrot back just to get him in Akron again. That thread is so boring. :zzz:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Does anyone have an opinion on potential replacements? What about tapping into the Mount Union pipeline and seeing if HC Kehres would come to Akron as the DC. Didn't he handle defense for his dad before becoming the HC. Or was he the OC? Hell, I'd gladly take him as OC too! Seriously, I'd like opinions on who we can get. And no I don't want to offer the job to Keith Dambrot back just to get him in Akron again. That thread is so boring. :zzz:

Coach Stroud to DC, coach Thompson from video to DL coach which is what he did anyway, new coach Wattley LB, Mounds CB’s & pass coordinator & Woodford Safeties 

my guess

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1

If his health permits, I would guess, just like @94zipgrad, coach Stroud would assume the title of DC. I'm pretty sure he was the one calling the plays during game day. Can he fit another title in, assistant head coach, recruiting coordinator, and defensive coordinator? I'm not sure. I know first hand that coach Stroud's knowledge, and passion is second to none. Since there was no immediate announcement I wonder if coach Amato's announcement didn't take the staff by surprise. I hope everything is (health) okay with coach Amato. Lot's of talent on that side of the ball, whomever steps in is coming into a pretty good situation. Their biggest task will be finding a way to get a bigger push up front against our better opponents. When coach Bowden talked about the defense in the past he would typically say, coach Amato takes care of all that. I wonder if coach Bowden becomes a little more involved now?

In this ABJ article, Bowden states Amato's had been contemplating retirement for 2-3 weeks

Bowden’s defensive staff has been together for years, so Amato’s retirement means Bowden must find a defensive coordinator. As for any possible changes in scheme, he said it’s too soon to say.

“We’ve got nine starters back on defense,” Bowden said. “You don’t want to mess it up.”

Edited by Blue & Gold

Watched the video on YouTube last night and wondered what it was all about....I'll miss you Coach, you've doen great things here, if for no other reason than for giving us credibility that you were here, with recruits and their families, and of course the local press...:rofl:

7 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I heard Bowden on the radio yesterday and he told the story that when he decided to come back to coaching he and Amato were on the search for a head coaching job at the same time and agreed whoever got the one first would take the other on his staff. 

Wow, that is a cool story.  And it wasn't just talk because he did it.