Game 30—PCCC

clarkwgriswold

Absolutely cannot stand De La Rosa. The punk from the Bronx displaces or fouls every time he calls for the ball. A good measure of flopping and other theatrics mixed in there too. Looks for opportunities to talk smack and take cheap shots when ball is not in play. Definitely a Can't-type-player hall of famer.

The win tonight felt R-E-A-L-L-Y good - great job players and staff. Punch that ticket Monday night so we can mess with tourney hopefuls in Cleveland!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Maybe it's time to start a Kent Thug HOF ?

I'm putting Singletary at the MVP spot.  

I refrained from using the 'T' word as it seems to trigger some on this board ;-). NO question Singletary was 'special.' Appreciate you chiming in!

Edited by GoZips88

The other Kent kids seemed pretty well behaved.  2 of them were having a nice conversation after the game with Groce.

I guess if I was 7 feet tall and 260 and couldn't be successful against the team with the fewest bigs in the MAC and couldn't take advantage of guards on switches, I'd get a little testy too.

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm not trying to be mean, and I don't actually know at this minute where ticket sales stand for tonight. 

But, please tell me you aren't falling for the oldest ticket-selling advertisement in the book (limited tickets still available).  

Since when did you ever preface anything with “I’m not trying to be mean...”!! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But Gawd, wasn’t that a long-ass game?  I swear I could have walked over to Penn Station, ordered a sub and ate it there, (tuna, of course),  and walked back to the JAR I would have only missed 8 minutes tops...soooo many fouls....soooo many stoppages.  Not complaining about a great win, just, you know?

Some observations...

- I don't know if I've seen Akron get someone in foul trouble (2 or 3 guys in this case), and continue to drive at them late in a game. What a novel idea. 

- Free throw shooting wasn't our best tonight, but man did Parrish make 2 big ones. Not sure an Akron freshman has ever made 2 bigger free throws. 

- Thank you Smith and Duvivier for everything this year. 

- Thank you Can't for extending the contract on Mr. Pinky. He is a very mediocre coach, and that's at best.

- KLac, man, he is a foul magnet. He brings a majority of it upon himself, but it's hard to watch. 

- If Cotton made faces (childish), shame on him. However, De La Rosa is a massive punk. I haven't disliked a Can't player like him since Singletary. They have some other punks on that team. It wasn't just DLR getting into it; there were several separate scuffles. DLR is just a junior, too. Imagine how much we'll get in his head next year when we actually have a front court. 

- Groce has done one helluva job with this team. Kudos to him. He really utilized his timeouts well, and put together a strong game plan. 

- Dustin Ford coaches A LOT. I love it. 

- The Can't State students chanting "polytechnic" clearly have no idea what it means. It's quite the compliment to notice that we teach subjects worth a damn in society.

At the beginning of the season, how many would have taken splitting one of the series between OU and KSUcks, let alone splitting both with 2 key injuries?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm not trying to be mean, and I don't actually know at this minute where ticket sales stand for tonight. 

But, please tell me you aren't falling for the oldest ticket-selling advertisement in the book (limited tickets still available).  

Was just relaying the latest info. :)Biggest crowd of the year, 4349 announced, as it should be. I already had my ticket. Pretty good crowd to watch two teams having off years and only seeding to be decided.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Was just relaying the latest info. :)Biggest crowd of the year, 4349 announced, as it should be. I already had my ticket. Pretty good crowd to watch two teams having off years and only seeding to be decided.

You're fine.  I just get a kick out of the hilarious "limited tickets still available" announcement when we know now that there was roughly 1,200 left unsold.   And certainly there was a lot more than that when the message was sent out earlier in the day. 

Yes, it was visually the largest crowd of the year too.  And it should be.  And the students actually made some noticeable noise for the first time this year.  So, thanks to them. 

Maybe we'll get back to sellouts when the circumstances for both teams improve again.  

• Like 1

Regarding the post-game antics, I have to watch the stteam again, but the first person I saw get involved with the other side was wearing a suit on the KSU bench.  Don't know Sendhimoff's assistants, but right at the end it seemed like he started to go after someone from Akron and had to be restrained.  Then, after the handshake line was almost over, he charged at Virshon, and both of them had to be grabbed.  Wonder who that was?  Oh, BTW, nice win!  ?  We finally had more left in the tank than an opponent at the end.  The three foul-outs helped us out.  What in the heck was Zabo trying to do on that last play (If he knocked the ball loose it would have flown out of bounds)  Has he fouled out of every game he's played vs Akron?  :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Regarding the post-game antics, I have to watch the stteam again, but the first person I saw get involved with the other side was wearing a suit on the KSU bench.  

Akeem Miskdeem?  Looks like da guy.

Watched the replay.   Apart from Jackie Windom being a national treasure, the jawing started with De la Rosa from the bench at Cotton before game was over.   However, we don't know what precipitated that.  Refs showed a lot of restraint in that regard.   And no baskets last 4+ minutes.  All free throws.  Some were really clear.  Others not so much.

I like what Jackie said about our last time out.  Basically, Zips worked too hard all game to have one of the Jalens just run it down the court for a quick two or three.  Set the defense.  It worked.

Edited by NWAkron

15 hours ago, LZIp said:

Kostelac can't get out of his own damn way........................................................... not all his fault....but man control your body!!

15 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Freshman bigs are like black lab puppies. Real big, black lab puppies. Stay out of their way.  

I suggest to you that this is what the Akron cheerleaders see when K-lac realizes he has to stop.

Edit: I removed the puppy photo because it was too big and I couldn't make it any smaller. And I obviously missed my mark with that one which is a shame because I have been laughing so hard to myself I have been crying. Oh well, maybe next time.  

Edited by Illini Zip

7 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Regarding the post-game antics, I have to watch the stteam again, but the first person I saw get involved with the other side was wearing a suit on the KSU bench.  Don't know Sendhimoff's assistants, but right at the end it seemed like he started to go after someone from Akron and had to be restrained.  Then, after the handshake line was almost over, he charged at Virshon, and both of them had to be grabbed.  Wonder who that was?  Oh, BTW, nice win!  ?  We finally had more left in the tank than an opponent at the end.  The three foul-outs helped us out.  What in the heck was Zabo trying to do on that last play (If he knocked the ball loose it would have flown out of bounds)  Has he fouled out of every game he's played vs Akron?  :rolleyes:

Cotton started jawing with the Kent bench around the under 4 minute time out.  I didn't see if someone bumped him or what prompted it, but he was right by the Kent team as they set their little chairs on the court.  He got into it again at the next time out as he ran over to the Kent bench to jaw some more on his way to our bench.  He just would not let it go.  Eventually, Ivey kept him away from the Kent players to avoid a technical.  When De la Rosa fouled out and lost his mind he started yelling at everyone, especially Cotton.  After the game, as teams were lining up one of the Zips asst coaches pulled Cotton aside and spoke to him; however, he was still fired up.  De la Rosa was not going to let it go and we are lucky nothing more serious happened.  Both coaching staffs should have probably sent their problem children to the locker room to avoid a dust up during the handshake.  I did not see what prompted the Kent asst. coach to flip out, but as usual Senderoff did nothing to contain his team.

Great win for the Zips and congrats to Malcolm and Rec Center on going out with a huge W in their last home game.  It was great to hear they are both working on degrees and have plans beyond hoops.  It was such as good night that I am not bringing up anything K-lac related.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

Cotton started jawing with the Kent bench around the under 4 minute time out.  I didn't see if someone bumped him or what prompted it, but he was right by the Kent team as they set their little chairs on the court.  He got into it again at the next time out as he ran over to the Kent bench to jaw some more on his way to our bench.  He just would not let it go.  Eventually, Ivey kept him away from the Kent players to avoid a technical.  When De la Rosa fouled out and lost his mind he started yelling at everyone, especially Cotton.  After the game, as teams were lining up one of the Zips asst coaches pulled Cotton aside and spoke to him; however, he was still fired up.  De la Rosa was not going to let it go and we are lucky nothing more serious happened.  Both coaching staffs should have probably sent their problem children to the locker room to avoid a dust up during the handshake.  I did not see what prompted the Kent asst. coach to flip out, but as usual Senderoff did nothing to contain his team.

Great win for the Zips and congrats to Malcolm and Rec Center on going out with a huge W in their last home game.  It was great to hear they are both working on degrees and have plans beyond hoops.  It was such as good night that I am not bringing up anything K-lac related.

During one of the earlier timeouts Parish stuck his head into the Kent huddle when they were gathering during a timeout.  Senderoff got really upset about it and talked to the ref.  As I stated earlier, one of the assistant coaches pulled Cotton aside after the game because Cotton was making faces at the Kent bench immediately after the game.  The team played so well it is a shame that these frosh do not understand that you need to have respect for the other team even if this is a rivalry game. 

Delawhoever is a punk. I'd like to see better control from Cotton/Parrish, but their actions aren't anything we've seen from them all year towards the other team. I'd like to know what was said to them (I'm sure it'd be censored on this board). I've got to give them the benefit of the doubt, but definitely want to us keep our compsure. Learning moment. Its not the first scuffle in a Kent game and sure as hell won't be the last.

9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If anything we did was inappropriate, that's not cool. However, I have no problem with our guys getting into their heads and messing with them. If Senderoff doesn't want to teach his team composure and discipline, that's on him and I would fully exploit that. 

That also goes to the nature of the athletes you recruit, which comes back on Senderoff and those before him.  I'll concede that altar boys generally don't make great basketball players, but you can still recruit good kids your school can be proud of.  The Zips have had some "bad citizens" (drug dealers; woman abusers, etc.), but the players and staff have generally remained above instigating on court issues.

Cotton has a little but of an "attitude" as demonstrated by his clash with Ivey, his one game suspension and his involvement last night.  Hopefully, as someone suggested, the staff can sit him down and prevent issues in the future that could cost the Zips points and him playing time.  We all have the propensity to see our team's players as "fiery" and "intense" while similar players on other teams are a "problem" and I don't want us to be blind to bad behavior from "our" players.

24 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If anything we did was inappropriate, that's not cool. However, I have no problem with our guys getting into their heads and messing with them. If Senderoff doesn't want to teach his team composure and discipline, that's on him and I would fully exploit that. 

I think I see one weak mind on Kent's team susceptible to that!