Game 30—PCCC

clarkwgriswold

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Coach Senderoff is called Mr. Pinky because his face always looks like he has a mild sunburn. Close?

Well we used to refer to him as the clown. However, I think Bozo the Clown toed the PC line, so Clark graciously gave us Mr. Pinky. But yes, Mr. Pinky because of the mild sunburn look.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

But Gawd, wasn’t that a long-ass game?  I swear I could have walked over to Penn Station, ordered a sub and ate it there, (tuna, of course),  and walked back to the JAR I would have only missed 8 minutes tops...soooo many fouls....soooo many stoppages.  Not complaining about a great win, just, you know?

I have not had the pleasure of eating at a Penn Station Subs, but they sure do look good on their website. The closest one is about an hour away from home so I would have to be already in the area, but I'm seriously giving it some thought. I'm more of a cheesesteak or chicken parmesan guy myself.

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Coach Senderoff is called Mr. Pinky because his face always looks like he has a mild sunburn. Close?

Yes, along with his ability to get pinker and pinker as the game wears on, especially when he gets stressed.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Cotton has a little but of an "attitude" as demonstrated by his clash with Ivey, his one game suspension and his involvement last night.  Hopefully, as someone suggested, the staff can sit him down and prevent issues in the future that could cost the Zips points and him playing time.  We all have the propensity to see our team's players as "fiery" and "intense" while similar players on other teams are a "problem" and I don't want us to be blind to bad behavior from "our" players.

Good post.  What surprised me is that he did what he did knowing that he's already had other incidents, and been reprimanded.   Whether provoked or not, he was acting like a little child in response.  I didn't like it.  

So apparently "sitting down and talking to him" has not worked.  Neither has a suspension.  So, I think you either have to decide that you can deal with him, or remove him.   I noticed some of these things about his "personality" that caught my attention way back during preseason practices.  It's a shame because he could have a productive career here.  Unfortunately, I see a hard foul and getting picked up off the floor by his teammates happening in his near future.  

I don't mind having "fiery" or "intense" guys.  We've had plenty of them over the years.  But we've never been like Kent.  And all it takes is one bad apple to develop that persona.      

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Good post.  What surprised me is that he did what he did knowing that he's already had other incidents, and been reprimanded.   Whether provoked or not, he was acting like a little child in response.  I didn't like it.  

So apparently "sitting down and talking to him" has not worked.  Neither has a suspension.  So, I think you either have to decide that you can deal with him, or remove him.   I noticed some of these things about his "personality" that caught my attention way back during preseason practices.  It's a shame because he could have a productive career here.  Unfortunately, I see a hard foul and getting picked up off the floor by his teammates happening in his near future.  

I don't mind having "fiery" or "intense" guys.  We've had plenty of them over the years.  But we've never been like Kent.  And all it takes is one bad apple to develop that persona.      

I hope that age and counseling brings him insight and wisdom as I think he could really be a player.  All we can do is watch and hope.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I would stay away from Utomi. He looks like he can dunk DeLarosa.

Ok, I have another idea.

After we complete the Kent State Punk HOF, we need to compile a Most Bada$$ Looking Zips Players Of All Time list.

And for that 2nd list, my top choice is Treadwell.    Wood would be up there too.  Then Ivey  :lol:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I don't see a future for Cotton here. He blows up under pressure and reveals he lacks character, and smarts. I have seen many times this year that I was not proud to say he was a Zip. If uncorrected it will get worse. I'd put him on double secret probation and have Dean Wormer deliver the news to him. Seriously I'd like to see him straighten out, but I'm tired of trying to talk guys out of being punks. We expect more at Akron. I think Coach Groce does too. Hence, I don't see him here for long. 

7 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I don't see a future for Cotton here. He blows up under pressure and reveals he lacks character, and smarts. I have seen many times this year that I was not proud to say he was a Zip. If uncorrected it will get worse. I'd put him on double secret probation and have Dean Wormer deliver the news to him. Seriously I'd like to see him straighten out, but I'm tired of trying to talk guys out of being punks. We expect more at Akron. I think Coach Groce does too. Hence, I don't see him here for long. 

I was trying not to extrapolate to that extent, but I agree with you.  These kinds of situation do tend to only get worse.  

Don't call in Dean Wormer.  That will only result in a dead horse, a Toga Party and the creation of a Death Mobile. 

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I was trying not to extrapolate to that extent, but I agree with you.  These kinds of situation do tend to only get worse.  

Don't call in Dean Wormer.  That will only result in a dead horse, a Toga Party and the creation of a Death Mobile. 

I believe that Cotton can learn from his mistakes.  I saw Cotton make those faces after the game and it upset me that an Akron player would do that but Cotton is a frosh.  Also, there is really no senior leadership on this team as Duvivier is the only senior being a transfer.  New coach, mainly first year players on the team, you are lacking a mentor to tell him right or wrong.  There is a fine line between competitive and being respectful.  Sometimes even the pros disagree on what is unprofessional conduct.  Jordan Clarkson throws ball at Dario Saric, setting off Cavaliers-76ers scuffle _ ESPN - YouTube (360p).mp4    

Also, the last game Cotton sees the coach charge the court and go after the referee.  I understand why Groce did this but it may have sent the wrong message to the team on being respectful.  Next year Cotton will be a year older and a year wiser and hopefully will learn that you can be competitive while being respectful.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Also, the last game Cotton sees the coach charge the court and go after the referee.  I understand why Groce did this but it may have sent the wrong message to the team on being respectful.  Next year Cotton will be a year older and a year wiser and hopefully will learn that you can be competitive while being respectful.

Valid points here.  But I think what a few of us are pointing out here is the continual pattern.  Look at JR Smith, in the news again for another immature outburst.  Apparently being around experienced leadership, and "maturing" and having kids, etc., didn't change him.  Although, he insists otherwise. 

Sadly, I don't think reformation happens in most cases.   He CAN change.  Sure he can.  But like I said, the likely end result is either that they find him valuable enough to put up with it, or they'll cut him loose.  But keep hoping for a 3rd, and more desirable outcome.  

3 hours ago, skip-zip said:

But if it gets us leadership in the form of Senator Blutarsky it may be worth calling in Wormer. The country needs him now.;)

48 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

But if it gets us leadership in the form of Senator Blutarsky it may be worth calling in Wormer. The country needs him now.;)

:thumb::lol:

And Senator Blutarsky got the Cheerleader too.  So, he gets extra points for that.  

But still, the greatest demonstration of Leadership was when he rallied the boys with the famous line, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor"?

49 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm not familiar with Dean Wormer.  Is he new with the Wilson administration?  Why would a Dean speak to one of the athletes about his attitude?  Is he the guy leaving the polymer department?

If you're being serious, go log into your Netflix account right now and watch the movie ANIMAL HOUSE (1978)

Here's a little teaser.  Now THIS is what I call LEADERSHIP. 

Edited by skip-zip

"Don't see a future with Cotton here". My god. You guys act like he's been trafficking drugs or chucking plates at his girlfriend. The only negative I've seen from him is that he's an emotional player on the court. Seems like a good kid otherwise. He's got a personality similar to Ivey (who I noticed get physical with the staff this year..and nobody talked about that), and its logical that they clash. He should concede to the leaders of the team and needs to get the emotions under control some, however. The suspensions speak for themselves, but I'm not sure I recall any technical fouls this year. Quit acting like they are playing chess out there.

I'll say it again - writing anybody off in their true freshman year is stupid, especially when its the 2nd best player thus far in a big class.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

"Don't see a future with Cotton here". My god. You guys act like he's been trafficking drugs or chucking plates at his girlfriend. The only negative I've seen from him is that he's an emotional player on the court. Seems like a good kid otherwise. He's got a personality similar to Ivey (who I noticed get physical with the staff this year..and nobody talked about that), and its logical that they clash. He should concede to the leaders of the team and needs to get the emotions under control some, however. The suspensions speak for themselves, but I'm not sure I recall any technical fouls this year. Quit acting like they are playing chess out there.

I'll say it again - writing anybody off in their true freshman year is stupid, especially when its the 2nd best player thus far in a big class.

Cause for concern-  yes.  Write off- no.

• Like 2