Game 30—PCCC

clarkwgriswold

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

"Don't see a future with Cotton here". My god. You guys act like he's been trafficking drugs or chucking plates at his girlfriend. The only negative I've seen from him is that he's an emotional player on the court. Seems like a good kid otherwise. He's got a personality similar to Ivey (who I noticed get physical with the staff this year..and nobody talked about that), and its logical that they clash. He should concede to the leaders of the team and needs to get the emotions under control some, however. The suspensions speak for themselves, but I'm not sure I recall any technical fouls this year. Quit acting like they are playing chess out there.

I'll say it again - writing anybody off in their true freshman year is stupid, especially when its the 2nd best player thus far in a big class.

I'll stand by what I said. Within that statement was "Seriously I'd like to see him straighten out...". I appreciate your support of his learning process and he deserves that. But how many freshmen had two suspensions basically within the first half of the season and went on to show good character and be a productive teammate? Do I want him gone? Hell no.  Just start putting the team and school first.

• Like 1

I think ALL of us would be looking at this exactly the same way if it was an isolated incident.  

Other than a longer suspension, what can be done that hasn't been attempted already?  When you have been told to stop bad behavior, have angered your teammates, have been suspended, and you know that further actions may increase your consequences............and you CHOOSE to repeat similar behavior anyway......That's a character issue, not "a mistake" from a lapse in judgement. 

I don't want him to get booted.  I put him on my "most improved player" list for this season, for God's sake.  But the team and the integrity of the program should come first.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

If that's all we were talking about here, EVERYONE would agree with you.

We've had guys kicked off the team for a year and reinstated, Brett McKnight was suspended half a year if I remember correctly. Cotton missed two games and made some faces at their bench and did some trash talking. It'll be okay.

Cotton has some attitude about on the court just like Antino had the last 3 years.  I don’t think anyone wanted him gone.  Also like Antino he makes some great & boneheaded plays on the court and he’s not afraid to take the big shot (BG game).  He has been the most improved player on the team from game one until now and I hope we get to see an even bigger improvement next year.

17 hours ago, ZIPS96 said:

He has been the most improved player on the team from game one until now and I hope we get to see an even bigger improvement next year.

I noticed from early on how Jimond took Virshon under his wing and has been mentoring him.  I think their on and off-court relationship will be a guide to Cotton's future with the team, and I'm confident V will be a key cog for three more years.  However, we get two guards next year who could relegate him to long stretches on the bench!  THAT may be an even bigger stress point for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Z.I.P. said:

I noticed from early on how Jimond took Virshon under his wing and has been mentoring him.  I think their on and off-court relationship will be a guide to Cotton's future with the team, and I'm confident V will be a key cog for three more years.  However, we get two guards next year who could relegate him to long stretches on the bench!  THAT may be an even bigger stress point for him.

Agreed.  Next year you'll have Hester and possibly Jackson ahead of him.

• Like 1

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating.  There will be a few Zips that will see something rare in a college career next year, getting fewer minutes per game than they saw in the year prior.  K-lac and Patton are obvious choices, but as you guys suggest, Virshon will have a little more competition at the point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating.  There will be a few Zips that will see something rare in a college career next year, getting fewer minutes per game than they saw in the year prior.  K-lac and Patton are obvious choices, but as you guys suggest, Virshon will have a little more competition at the point. 

We had three impact freshmen this season (four if you include Kostelac), who would have been as good as frosh on most of Dambrot's teams.  The fact that Patton played fewer minutes doesn't make him a "bust".  I wouldn't write Torrey off for getting PT in future seasons.  He needs to add muscle -- true of Eric and Virshon too.  But I am very concerned about lack of depth -- and just plain talent in the post.  Can anyone who saw Deng Riak in practice this year say he will make us much better at Center?

6 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

We had three impact freshmen this season (four if you include Kostelac), who would have been as good as frosh on most of Dambrot's teams.  The fact that Patton played fewer minutes doesn't make him a "bust".  I wouldn't write Torrey off for getting PT in future seasons.  He needs to add muscle -- true of Eric and Virshon too.  But I am very concerned about lack of depth -- and just plain talent in the post.  Can anyone who saw Deng Riak in practice this year say he will make us much better at Center?

Just to be clear, I am not writing anybody off.  Just assessing the reality of the depth we'll have next year.  I haven't see any more of Riak than some limited online video and him around the team at games, but his stats indicate to me he that he won't be an offensive force.  Here's a UA video on Deng-

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zippy5 said:

We've had guys kicked off the team for a year and reinstated, Brett McKnight was suspended half a year if I remember correctly. Cotton missed two games and made some faces at their bench and did some trash talking. It'll be okay.

If people only knew how many times players quit and came back over the years that the public never heard about... :lol:

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

I can't imagine him not being an upgrade over Kostelac, who I think will soon go the way of Steve Swiech.  Statistically, he was a more efficient player as a freshman as East Carolina than Kostelac has been at Akron.  

ESPN had him as a 4 star coming out of high school with offers from Florida, FGCU, Houston, Oregon, Minnesota, Virginia Tech, and Arkansas.  The rating certainly doesn't mean anything now, but with that list of schools you'd think there's some real potential.  Let's see what Groce and his staff can do with him.  

BTW.  PCCC @ Ravenna won again tonight by sending one of their players all the way down the floor for a lay up with time expiring.  They have won multiple games that way including over BG a week or so ago where they called the BG player for a foul after minor contact.   On Friday night, they would have done the same thing had Groce not called that time out and set up the defense.

On 3/5/2018 at 10:52 PM, NWAkron said:

BTW.  PCCC @ Ravenna won again tonight by sending one of their players all the way down the floor for a lay up with time expiring.  They have won multiple games that way including over BG a week or so ago where they called the BG player for a foul after minor contact.   On Friday night, they would have done the same thing had Groce not called that time out and set up the defense.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:22 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Still awaiting Skip's response to this one....

On 3/5/2018 at 10:45 PM, Hilltopper said:

Hell will freeze over first.

You are absolutely correct.  

Let me also add that I hope everyone else here likewise uses good judgement in deciding what sensitive information to blast out on a public forum, based on how much they respect our alma mater, and how much they value their own particular personal, social, business, and employment relationships with the UofA. 

Edited by skip-zip

On 3/5/2018 at 10:52 PM, NWAkron said:

I didn't like it when it went down as I thought they should force KSU to inbound the ball on the fly without a chance to huddle and draw up a plan.  In hindsight though, and after hearing Groce discuss it and explain it gave the Zips a chance to devise a plan that didn't allow a KSU guard to get the inbounds pass on the run, I appreciate  the strategy.  If KSU would have scored, I would not be above sticking to my initial criticism!

I guess that's why I am in the bleachers while Groce is on the bench.