Akron Zips 2018 Football Recruiting Story - by ZipsNation.org

Captain Kangaroo

”Who are these guys?!” was the question I kept asking myself regarding The University of Akron’s 2018 Football Recruiting Class.

The local newspapers gave Akron’s February 7th, 2018 National Signing Day virtually no print space. Northeast Ohio television stations all but ignored the event.  And the various internet recruiting websites again focused their columns on the Power 5 programs. Aside from the noble efforts of a couple local AM radio sports talk personalities, the Zips signing day coverage fell well short of what a real fan wanted to learn about the class, and certainly beneath the coverage it merited.

2018 has a chance to be a great year for Zips football, and the kids bound to these 25 letters of intent have some really interesting storylines. So I thought I would head down to the Zips football offices and see if Head Coach Terry Bowden would give me a little time to discuss the class. Here’s what he had to say.

Program Growth Generating a Bright Future

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Nice Captain, i think your on to something, he seems to be open to you stopping in occasionally & getting state of the unions, i just wonder why the ABJ doesn’t have someone that is engaged, especially with more & more locals, increase the local interest.  Hell, maybe a few more Akronites would go to games.  Am i over simplifying it?

Thanks to you all for the nice comments. I'm glad you liked the story. It was a lot of work, but certainly worth it if people thought it was informative. 

If always been of the mindset that I can complain about the local Zips coverage, or do it myself. I made the time to create it because I thought is was an important story to be told. I also felt if it were a professional, well-received piece that we'd get the opportunity to do other such stories in the future.

Thanks to Dr. Z for handling the layout!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cykron said:

Curious as to whether you expect any of them to be major contributors right off the bat this season?

Of the people mentioned in that article,  I could see one of the big freshman backs being immediate contributors (White or Alce) as they are pretty highly rated and a short yardage back is a need and we do have short yardage formations. In the past we've used TEs and even a nose guard to get short yardage. Hopefully that won't be needed anymore, though it did seem to work most of the time, albeit gimmicky.

MJ McGriff as he is a transfer from IL and looks talented on tape. We lost 5 WRs from last year's team. None were really of superior talent, but all were in the rotation most of the season. He reminds me a lot of poor man's JoJo Natson, who was on the team a few years ago and is now in the NFL.

Bryce Peterson and/or Landon Forman as they are both JUCO guys and we don't have a lot of experienced depth at OL plus have a few holes to fill from last year due to graduation.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1