The Houston Area Pipeline

The Zips in recent years have been able to get a lot of very good players from the Houston area. They also ended the Houston Cougars season in the NIT last season. Akron clearly had a presence and some name recognition in that area under Coach Dambrot. Do you think Coach Groce and his staff will try to take advantage of, and continue, that pipeline? Do you think they should try?

Not likely. The Zips had success in Houston because Dambrot realized that the area was a hotbed of mid level d-1 recruits. The Houston area is huge(6.2million) and growing fast. Add into that, there are relatively few d-1 schools in Texas. A plan was made that Charles Thomas would heavily recruit the area. It took several years for the results to materialize. Our current staff is more likely to look for talent flowing through the prep school system.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Relationships are with coaches not schools.  Just because those kids ended up at UA doesn't mean the new staff can just go to Houston and expect the same results overnight.

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

There are better 

Nah. 

The chart below reminds me of the story of when Lee Owens tried to recruit Allen Iverson. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 8.20.47 AM.png

I get that the deepest recruiting relationships are with coaches and not the schools. However, I also think there is something to be said for name recognition. Not only did the Zips end the hometown Cougars season last year but the leading scorer on the team this year is from the area and many down there are bound to remember him.

I get that the Houston area may not be an area Groce and crew know much about recruiting or have many relationships with. However, isn’t this the opportunity they have to expand their recruiting connections. I am not arguing anything anyone else has said I just wonder if there is more opportunity there now than there would be usually.

Personally I want to see the Zips program return to recruiting some Central Ohio talent. I am tired of seeing so many guys from my local area go to a bunch of other MAC schools but that is just me. I just know I cringe when I hear the name Jason Carter at OU or  BJ Duling over in Portage County. I have seen both those guys play within walking distance of my house and never heard of the Zips even showing interest in them.

To me it just doesn't make sense to recruit Texas when you could have a prep school pipeline and your surrounding area (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky) is loaded with talent. Groce pulled Nick Kellogg to OU from Columbus, and had LaVert coming, too. I don't know how many other Ohio boys he got, but I think he knows the type of talent that surrounds him and will target them while using Fulford's prep school connections in that area.

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

So, the state that has the 3RD MOST D-I schools in the country is what you define as "relatively few"?

Only California and New York have more.  

Considering TX is the 2nd most populated state and 2nd biggest state by land size, I would say that counts as "relatively few".

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Considering TX is the 2nd most populated state and 2nd biggest state by land size, I would say that counts as "relatively few".

I find it interesting that you often troll and try to pick arguments with people who still extend well wishes to our former basketball coach.  That's fine.  But, you might not have wanted to start this one with someone who's also a geography buff.  

Just off the top of my head, I can tell you that you have absolutely no argument at all for Texas having a shortage compared to other states, if Land Area is the criteria.  Not even close.  I don't even know why someone would try to prove a shortage of schools based on that criteria anyway.    Do you really hate Keith that much?

On Population:  I can tell you right off the bat that the state you are referencing that's larger than Texas has a FAR greater shortage of schools.  They have at least 10 million more people, and only 3 more schools.  It would be a huge difference if you did the calculation.    

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I find it interesting that you often troll and try to pick arguments with people who still extend well wishes to our former basketball coach.  That's fine.  But, you might not have wanted to start this one with someone who's also a geography buff.  

Just off the top of my head, I can tell you that you have absolutely no argument at all for Texas having a shortage compared to other states, if Land Area is the criteria.  Not even close.  I don't even know why someone would try to prove a shortage of schools based on that criteria anyway.    Do you really hate Keith that much?

On Population:  I can tell you right off the bat that the state you are referencing that's larger than Texas has a FAR greater shortage of schools.  They have at least 10 million more people, and only 3 more schools.  It would be a huge difference if you did the calculation.    

I find it interesting that you are supposed to be a Zips fan but are the biggest troll on this site.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Cute. The guy that has to pick apart every single comment on this site accuses someone else of trying to start arguments. 

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the relationships the staff has built and how they prioritize.  With a limited staff and budget, UA has to make some tough calls as to where they direct their energies in recruiting.  I recall, as Hilltopper referenced, that Thomas built his relationships in the Houston area and that paid off.  I suspect it will now pay off for Duquesne, not Akron.

• Like 2

Ohio has 11 million in population and 13 D-1 programs. All of which are mid-majors or higher. Texas has 28 million in population and 21 D-1 schools. 6 of those schools are low level D-1 or branch campuses. Ohio is also surrounded by states with large numbers of D-1 schools.  

11 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the relationships the staff has built and how they prioritize.  With a limited staff and budget, UA has to make some tough calls as to where they direct their energies in recruiting.  I recall, as Hilltopper referenced, that Thomas built his relationships in the Houston area and that paid off.  I suspect it will now pay off for Duquesne, not Akron.

This is a big reason why Texas doesn't make sense. I don't know how you can justify the financial aspect when the surrounding cities/states are so rich with talent. 

2 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Duquesne offered one kid in Texas for 2018.  All of their 2019 offers are PA and Ohio.  

FWIW, there are 0 players we're both offering.

The A-10 schools have a definite advantage in recruiting over the MAC in Ohio and Pa. No need to travel all the way to Texas.