Game 31—@WMU [MAC Tourney Rnd 1]

GoZips88

Western went from being voted first in the MAC west preseason poll to finishing 4th in the west, 9-9 in the conference and 17-14 overall.   Hopefully, their disappointing season ends Monday night.  Their bigs don't seem to put up great numbers, so the Zips won't be at a huge disadvantage there.  Slow down Wilder and play hard.

• Like 2

• Dr Z changed the title to Game 31—@WMU [MAC Tourney Rnd 1]

Round 1: Monday March 5 - All games begin at 7PM
Bowling Green Falcons @ Central Michigan Chippewas
Northern Illinois Huskies @ Kent State Golden Flashes
Ohio University Bobcats @ Miami-Ohio Redhawks
Akron Zips @ Western Michigan Broncos

Screen_Shot_2018_03_03_at_1.52.43_PM.png

Some historical perspective for the MAC tournament and the lower seeds:

2002:   Akron is 11th seed and WMU is the 6th seed.  Zips won that game and went to the quarterfinals.

2003:  11th seed Ohio makes it to the semis.

2004:  Akron loses in first round as 11th seed.

2009:   5th seed Akron beats 12th seed Toledo by 1 point and goes on to win.

2010:   Ohio won making it all the way through as the 9th seed playing first game at Ball State.

2016:   BGSU as the 12th seed made it to the semis and lost to Akron after beating Kent and Central Michigan

I noticed that when Marshall was in the MAC only the top 3 teams made it to Cleveland.  Of course, I liked it better for those few years when all the teams got to go.  We played our first round against Toledo at the Q in 2009.  Wasn't that the last game of the night? 

Edited by NWAkron

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

OT and looking ahead:. We would play Eastern (K-Lac v. Thompson!!) @ 9pm Thursday.   Do any of you ever remember playing a 9pm game at the Q?  

I know this.   Any time we would have played in the Semifinals on Friday night, and we were on the 2/3 side of the bracket, we played the LATE game.  Sometimes, that was well past 9pm, depending on how long the first game lasted.  

The Semifinal opponents on the 1/4 side of the bracket get the early game, to give them the longest rest before the title game the following night.  

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/university-of-akron/university-of-akron-basketball-win-over-rival-flashes-in-regular-season-finale-buoys-zips-for-mac-tournament-opener

Thomas Wilder reminds me a bit of DJ Cooper in the 2013 championship game or Jerron Simmons when he blew the final possession versus Kent in the semis last year.  Wilder wanted to be a pro this year.  I think our guys are hungry for this win tomorrow and Wilder is ready to bolt K'Zoo... so says NWAkron.

And does someone want to tell GT we are the 11th seed not the 10th!

Edited by NWAkron

12 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

While at OU, Groce had those guys playing their best ball come March, and it led to 3 NCAA tournament wins. Nothing would help keep this discussion alive and proven like shocking teams in the MAC tournament this year. Let's get that W tomorrow. 

Here's Groce's track record in conference tournaments, FWIW:

2009 MAC - Lost 2nd round
2010 MAC - Tournament Champions
2011 MAC - Lost 2nd Round
2012 MAC - Tournament Champions
2013 B1G - Lost 2nd Round
2014 B1G - Lost 2nd Round
2015 B1G - Lost 2nd Round
2016 B1G - Lost 3rd Round

He's reached the NCAA Tournament 3 times.

Edited by UAZip0510

57 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Here's Groce's track record in conference tournaments, FWIW:

2009 MAC - Lost 2nd round
2010 MAC - Tournament Champions
2011 MAC - Lost 2nd Round
2012 MAC - Tournament Champions
2013 B1G - Lost 2nd Round
2014 B1G - Lost 2nd Round
2015 B1G - Lost 2nd Round
2016 B1G - Lost 3rd Round

He's reached the NCAA Tournament 3 times.

2011 was a crazy MAC year.  Kittens and Akron are both 9-7 and get first round games.  Miami has losing overall record and gets 3 seed.  We beat them in that marathon game in which everyone fouled out.   Then Ohio who has almost everyone back from the championship season except Bassett loses in OT to Ball State.   That must have sent Groce into a tailspin.  Then he comes back with vengeance next year.  We beat #1 seed Kent in the final in OT.  Kent makes a run in the NIT.  Geno Ford bails on Kent.  Gets the million $ contract from Bradley.  Kent sues Ford and wins.  Bradley fires Ford a few years later.  Fateful year.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

Looking forward to the game tonight.  I think the key to the game is Daniel Utomi.  The last 5 games he has been averaging over 20 points.  He has been scoring from the inside and is no longer relying on the 3 point shot.  The Zips are feeding the ball to him with his back to the basket and he is distributing or driving to the hoop.  Would love to see Duvivier get hot from the 3 line or drive to the basket.  Jimond also needs to have a good offensive game.  Parish and Cotten have been playing well and if we can get something from Klac and Patton we should win this game.  I know that Lucas Smith will give us everything he has on the defensive end.  The Zips need to stay out of foul trouble, especially, Duvivier.  We need him to end the game.  Not sure why he is such a foul magnet.  I like the way the Zips competed in the last 5 games even though we 3 losses we were in every game and played tough defense.  Go Zips!!

• Like 3