Game 31—@WMU [MAC Tourney Rnd 1]

GoZips88

Here are a few certainties with Zips men's basketball:

1) We own WMU to the tune of about winning about 9 games out of 10 since KD started as head coach. Good to see only a small blip on that trend for Groce. I bet Dawkins hated facing us.

2) We ALWAYS own BUGS even when they are the better team or should win the game. What is it 27 in a row?

3) We ALWAYS lose in Canada. Most of the current UA students were probably in diapers the last time we won up there.

58 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Here are a few certainties with Zips men's basketball:

1) We own WMU to the tune of about winning about 9 games out of 10 since KD started as head coach. Good to see only a small blip on that trend for Groce. I bet Dawkins hated facing us.

2) We ALWAYS own BUGS even when they are the better team or should win the game. What is it 27 in a row?

3) We ALWAYS lose in Canada. Most of the current UA students were probably in diapers the last time we won up there.

Not sure if you are serious or not but we lost to BG last year and we won in  Canada last year as well

• Like 2

13 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Not surprisingly, this board was silent last night when I asked if anyone here wanted to reaffirm their belief that "referees shouldn't decide games" by blowing a whistle right before the buzzer. 

At least for right now, based on the evidence presented Friday and Monday night, I think I have to reluctantly side with those who insist that officiating evens out over time.  But I'm sure I will change that stance again if the situation warrants on Thursday night.  :lol:

The foul on Wilder at the end which sent Cotton to the line was the exact foul called on Ivey that sent him to the bench:. Slapping the arm of the guy driving to the basket.  That's consistency.

• Like 2

Is Sayles done for the season?  I read somewhere he was supposed to return in March.  I ddi not see him suited up so I assumed he is done but does anybody have an update?  

I watched Groce's TV show for the first time last night.  They did a review of E man's injury and they expect him to make a full recovery and come back next year.  The young man is an honor student and very well spoken.  He is an asset to the team and the University.

Groce talked about the improvements in Utomi's defense and Parrish's defense.  I noticed that Parrish is rebounding the ball much better on defense.  It is typical of frosh that they love the offensive part of the game but it takes them some time to realize that defense is what keeps them on the floor.  He also indicates that Parrish anticipates the pass well and is often is position to make steals.  The show was very good.

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Is Sayles done for the season?  I read somewhere he was supposed to return in March.  I ddi not see him suited up so I assumed he is done but does anybody have an update?  

I watched Groce's TV show for the first time last night.  They did a review of E man's injury and they expect him to make a full recovery and come back next year.  The young man is an honor student and very well spoken.  He is an asset to the team and the University.

Groce talked about the improvements in Utomi's defense and Parrish's defense.  I noticed that Parrish is rebounding the ball much better on defense.  It is typical of frosh that they love the offensive part of the game but it takes them some time to realize that defense is what keeps them on the floor.  He also indicates that Parrish anticipates the pass well and is often is position to make steals.  The show was very good.

Sayles does have the brace off, but I didn't notice that until the PCCC game.  I'd be surprised if he's back this year.

As for E-man, I noticed he was the only UA men's basketball player on the Dean's List per the list given out at the PCCC game.  Good for him!  I miss that kid on the floor.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I think they have shut Sayles down for the year, and I'm ok with that. I need him 100% recovered for next year, when we can really make some noise start-to-finish. 

I also watched it, via YouTube this morning (dual monitor setup at work ROCKS). I thought it was a great show as well. I did not realize that EMan was a honor's student, and had not heard him speak before. Really glad to have him at the University of Akron and in a Zips uniform. Sounds like he's making quite the recovery. 

Since game 1, I have been impressed with Parrish's instincts both offensively and defensively. He has always gone strong after the rebounds, and I don't know if we've had a player jump the passing lanes like he has in quite some time. The difference between now and the beginning of the season is his instincts have matured into skills. He is more intelligent and better positioned when he goes for steals/rebounds now. He has also caught up to the speed of DI basketball, and does a good job of keeping his man in front of him and helping out on D. I think he is going to be an All MAC player for his final 3 years here. 

Groce is a great interview. He gives terrific, detailed insight and calls it how he sees it. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Sayles does have the brace off, but I didn't notice that until the PCCC game.  I'd be surprised if he's back this year.

As for E-man, I noticed he was the only UA men's basketball player on the Dean's List per the list given out at the PCCC game.  Good for him!  I miss that kid on the floor.

Looked like he had it back on for the WMU game.  At the Kent game, the brace was off, but at least I could tell that he was still favoring it.  Patton played his best game the other night.  I'm rather hoping the entire team is back for next year.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 6:46 AM, UAZip0510 said:

You'd think by now we could celebrate and be happy for our team without having to take digs (especially nonsensical ones) at our former coach, yet here you are.

Take it to the KD thread.

Go Zips! 

No need to get triggered over a fair point. 

You Dambrot apologists never give up, do you? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I see a lot in Parrish that I saw (and hoped) Harney could be...and that's the makings of a pretty damn good player. Size, length, athleticism, and versatility.

To the Zips good fortune Parrish did not end up being a whiny, sulky load with the attitude of an angry four year old.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The foul on Wilder at the end which sent Cotton to the line was the exact foul called on Ivey that sent him to the bench:. Slapping the arm of the guy driving to the basket.  That's consistency.

How do you like that  ;)  I came on to write this exact statement and low and behold NWA has me beat!

I went back to ESPN3 to see the foul against Jimond that sat him down for the last 6:20 or so.  He was looking through a screen, reached in to try and strip and got the ballhandler the arm.  It was almost the exact play that sent Vershon to the free throw line.  There's just no way even a MAC official can not call that.  Is there????  :(

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 7:35 PM, feetg10 said:

Not sure if you are serious or not but we lost to BG last year and we won in  Canada last year as well

It's been a busy couple years for me, and I seem to have lost track of our recent results in those series. The trends are still largely true though.

Thanks to you and skip-zip for the historic factual corrections. The standards here are obviously high, and I spouted off like a PCCC graduate. Thanks again for putting me back in line. :D

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

It's been a busy couple years for me, and I seem to have lost track of our recent results in those series. The trends are still largely true though.

Thanks to you and skip-zip for the historic factual corrections. The standards here are obviously high, and I spouted off like a PCCC graduate. Thanks again for putting me back in line. :D

Don't let it happen again (although before these past couple of seasons, we did traditionally struggle mightily against the zone). :thumb:

• Like 1