NCAA Tourney Thread

UAZip0510

2 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

If Akron ever wants to be respected at all on a national level, we will need at least one more MAC team to make a jump with us. Buffalo sure seems like the most likely candidate. Go Bulls (for this specific tournament)!

That's complete and utter "Bull" sht. Gonzaga did it in Tacoma, Washington with a student body of like 6k. Akron doesn't need anyone else to be respected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

If Akron ever wants to be respected at all on a national level, we will need at least one more MAC team to make a jump with us. Buffalo sure seems like the most likely candidate. Go Bulls!

During the peak of Akron's dominance, OU beat Georgetown and then made a Sweet Sixteen run two years later. The year after the Sweet Sixteen run, it took the nation's longest winning streak and a creative marketing ploy (the hashtag) for voters to put us in one of the polls.

We need nobody but ourselves.

• Like 1

A Buffalo win gives the MAC some national respect. Buffalo games will generate a lot more interest across the MAC next year. 

No whining about their seed or being from a 1-bid conference. They just went out and kicked some ass.

Awesome job by the Bulls tonight. They lost their marquee coach and just keep rolling with the next one.

• Like 6

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

During the peak of Akron's dominance, OU beat Georgetown and then made a Sweet Sixteen run two years later. The year after the Sweet Sixteen run, it took the nation's longest winning streak and a creative marketing ploy (the hashtag) for voters to put us in one of the polls.

We need nobody but ourselves.

If you think one season changes opinions, you are sorely mistaken. 

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What?

One run in the tourney by OU doesn't help in the slightest in Akron getting ranked. If a MAC team (and more importantly, the same 2-3 MAC teams) consistently can make a run, then the ranking might actually start to become an easier reality.

4 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

One run in the tourney by OU doesn't help in the slightest in Akron getting ranked. If a MAC team (and more importantly, the same 2-3 MAC teams) consistently can make a run, then the ranking might actually start to become an easier reality.

They beat Georgetown two years prior, as I mentioned. That's 2 seasons. Can't went to the Elite Eight earlier in the decade. Akron had made the tourney 3 times in 5 years, and possessed the nation's longest winning streak. What more do you want from the MAC?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They beat Georgetown two years prior, as I mentioned. That's 2 seasons. Can't went to the Elite Eight earlier in the decade. Akron had made the tourney 3 times in 5 years, and possessed the nation's longest winning streak. What more do you want from the MAC?

Akron made the tourney 3 times and lost 3 times, including by 46 points. Kent made a run a decade and a half ago. Winning your first round game is not a "run" in the tournament. 

For MAC schools to gain respect on the national level, the MAC representative in the tournament needs to consistently make noise in the tournament, or the MAC as a whole needs to have an amazing nonconference run to start the season. Just winning games in the MAC doesn't mean anything because you are only beating MAC teams, which everyone else assumes are bad. Obviously, Akron being the team in the tournament would be best for us, but that didn't happen this year, so the next best thing would be for Buffalo to do well.

To use the Gonzaga comparison that everyone seems to love, do you think they will be satisfied if they go home on Saturday? If not, why do we use the same scenario as a win for the MAC?

In the end, I am not the kind of fan who needs Akron to compete for national championships to be happy. I am perfectly content with just fighting for the MAC, for the same reasons that I get just as much joy cheering for the Rubberducks as I do the Indians. My comments are purely for the people on this board that claim Akron should be constantly looking to move up.

Congrats to Buffalo. They went out and kicked a blue blood's ass who just might have the #1 draft pick on their team. I want Buffalo to keep winning. Means a better chance Nate Oats is gone. He's been very impressive, even moreso than Hurley.

7 hours ago, UAZippers said:

Winning your first round game is not a "run" in the tournament.

I've only been a Zips fan for a couple of decades now so I don't know what it feels like to win a first round game. 

But please forgive me if the Zips ever win one, I'm calling it a run, domination, destiny, and many more arguable terms. 

Congratulations to the Bulls. I'm happy to see it, because it somehow gives me hope the Zips can win one someday. 

#jealousagain

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Put me in the category of being glad to see the MAC pull off the win. People are right when they say one year won't change the perception of the MAC, but you have to start building from some point.

I agree it won't change the perception for next year but yes you have to start from some point. Funny thing though, I was in Buffalo last October for work. Their fan base was talking about how they'd outgrown the MAC and need to move up. I'm sure this will only spark more talk/pressure from the fans.

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Put me in the category of being glad to see the MAC pull off the win. People are right when they say one year won't change the perception of the MAC, but you have to start building from some point.

That wasn't just an upset win. That was an ass kicking. I'm beginning to think the MAC might be better than perceived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Congrats to Buffalo. They went out and kicked a blue blood's ass who just might have the #1 draft pick on their team. I want Buffalo to keep winning. Means a better chance Nate Oats is gone. He's been very impressive, even moreso than Hurley.

What is his buyout like? 

10 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I'm so torn. It would get the MAC some respect, but then again I don't care much for it if it's Buffalo getting it. I find myself rooting against them, I think.

Only reason I was rooting for them was to put a sock in their ears with the Sean Miller wire revelations....suck it power 5s

• Like 1