NCAA Tourney Thread

UAZip0510

15 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What is his buyout like? 

From googling "nate oats buyout"

There are generally buyouts in these contracts, giving the coach an out if an elite school comes calling. The buyout in previous contracts for Hurley and Oats was half the base salary for the life of the deal. Arizona State paid $525,000 to lure Hurley to the desert.  Buying out Oats in the first two years would be exorbitant, even for a top school. So he'll be sticking around for the immediate future.

13 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

From googling "nate oats buyout"

There are generally buyouts in these contracts, giving the coach an out if an elite school comes calling. The buyout in previous contracts for Hurley and Oats was half the base salary for the life of the deal. Arizona State paid $525,000 to lure Hurley to the desert.  Buying out Oats in the first two years would be exorbitant, even for a top school. So he'll be sticking around for the immediate future.

So with his new annual salary in the $550-600k range, a school that wants Oats would have to pony up $1.5M for the buyout? 

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The big 3 of Buffalo's guards accounted for 75% of their scoring.

Go look at who Groce has offered. There's a reason he's targeting a bunch of guards. It gives me confidence he knows what he's doing.

Yeah, I feel the setup of winning 3 games in 3 days really hurt Akron the last few years considering our team was built around and heavily relied on a 300 lb C. Perimeter players are better adapt to that kind of setup.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If a blue blood wanted him bad enough I'm sure a ~$2 million buyout would be pocket change to them. I can't imagine he's a target of any of those schools yet, but perhaps if Buffalo pulls off another 1-2 wins he could be.

He's got another chance to really impress with Kentucky up next.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

He's got another chance to really impress with Kentucky up next.

Arizona and Kentucky on a "who'd you beat" resume is impressive. 

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

If a blue blood wanted him bad enough I'm sure a ~$2 million buyout would be pocket change to them. I can't imagine he's a target of any of those schools yet, but perhaps if Buffalo pulls off another 1-2 wins he could be.

After all, aren't these schools offering players that kind of money already? :rolleyes:;)

Oats has another factor in his favor: Bobby Hurley is having some success at ASU.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

UMBC ... the type of school I really don't like to see on the preseason schedule i.e. "WHY do we schedule these schools?!?"

What they just did to Virginia is EXACTLY why consecutive 20-win seasons don't amount to much after the 2nd or 3rd season if those wins don't prepare you to consistently make the NCAA Tournament and are ready to truly compete. UMBC just did what they did convincingly against Virginia's starting 5. This game wasn't even close in the second half and Virginia should feel fortunate to have been tied at the half.

UMBC, I salute you - DILLY, DILLY!

Excited to see what UASC can do going forward - Go Zips!!!

Edited by GoZips88
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zips Win! said:

ESPN not giving UMBC enough credit. All I heard was how bad UVA played.  It really should be how great UMBC was.  This isn't a 16 seed beating a 1 seed.  This is technically a 64 seed beating a 1 seed. Amazing...

In one of the articles on ESPN, they even took a swipe at UMBC's uniforms. Calling something you might see on a team playing at the local YMCA.

3 hours ago, Zips Win! said:

ESPN not giving UMBC enough credit. All I heard was how bad UVA played.  It really should be how great UMBC was.  This isn't a 16 seed beating a 1 seed.  This is technically a 64 seed beating a 1 seed. Amazing...

Shocker.

The crazy fact is this can NEVER be topped in the tournament, because it is the lowest ranked beating the highest ranked. Incredible.

Visually, it looked like a JV vs. varsity game.  Littler guys vs. the bog guys, good uniforms vs. the old uniforms...    Unfortunately, the entire sports nation will talk about how great it was all weekend but it will make absolutely no difference to the NCAA as to how they view the tournament.

15 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Pretty sure Chauncey Gilliam played for UMBC before transferring to Akron.

Thanks, I knew there was some reason I already knew what UMBC stood for and I was pretty certain it had something to do with UA basketball. Now I remember. 

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Yep.  Thanks for sharing the post, Sarge.  

Football & Men's Basketball should not be line-itemed within the Athletics budget.  They should be considered a part of the Advertising/Marketing budget.

"Athletics are the front porch of the university.  It's not the most important room in the house, but it is the most visible." -Scott Barnes, Director of Athletics at Oregon State.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yep.  Thanks for sharing the post, Sarge.  

Football & Men's Basketball should not be line-itemed within the Athletics budget.  They should be considered a part of the Advertising/Marketing budget.

"Athletics are the front porch of the university.  It's not the most important room in the house, but it is the most visible." -Scott Barnes, Director of Athletics at Oregon State.

Scott Barnes is a certified moron. Not that I disagree with that statement

Edited by zippy5
  • Haha 1