Game 32—EMU [MAC Tourney Rnd 2]

12 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

Over/under for people in attendance wearing EMU green ... on a weeknight ... 2-1/2 hrs from Ypsilianti ... for a 9p tip?

Do the rules allow us to lump in the few OU stragglers that pre-maturely bought tickets or just enjoy the MAC tourney? Similar green, and you know they'll be rooting for EMU. If so, I'm going to add 22 to Skip's 45, for a total of 67. 

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

25 Family Members

10 Random School Officials

10 Diehard Fans

I'll go with 45 :D

Hate to agree but likely correct.  I'm happy PCCC@ Ravenna is in the afternoon block.   We don't need them turning into Hurons... I mean Eagles...for the 9pm game.

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Hate to agree but likely correct.  I'm happy PCCC@ Ravenna is in the afternoon block.   We don't need them turning into Hurons... I mean Eagles...for the 9pm game.

You're a seasoned MAC basketball fan if you're old enough to remember the HURONS. 

35 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You're a seasoned MAC basketball fan if you're old enough to remember the HURONS. 

Not that old.  Just a head for useless trivia.   Cleveland State beat NKU... anything can happen!!!  There was a long, detailed story on Cincinnati.com about the NKU loss.  What did we get from the ABJ for our win?  Nothing.  But PCCC got a nice article for its heroic efforts in taking out the 12th seed at home!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Not that old.  Just a head for useless trivia. 

So, you are not a member of Joe Akron's "Metamucil Crowd" that won't be able to stay up past 9pm tomorrow.  Lucky you.  

I guess I'll have to take a nap before heading to Cleveland.  

Bitching about the ABJ never gets old.  I bet they'd justify covering Kent because Kent is a high seed.  The truth is, they just love Kent.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Not that old.  Just a head for useless trivia.   Cleveland State beat NKU... anything can happen!!!  There was a long, detailed story on Cincinnati.com about the NKU loss.  What did we get from the ABJ for our win?  Nothing.  But PCCC got a nice article for its heroic efforts in taking out the 12th seed at home!

George was busy recovering from the Oscars.  That's his Super Bowl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Maybe I'm just whining, but $34 to get into a MAC quarterfinal game seems a bit ridiculous. I don't think my tickets through the U for the football MAC championship were that much. Suppose I'll have to go through the Q.

Ohio lottery is running the BOGO with a losing lottery ticket for all games at the Q. Quarterfinals are never well-attended, so I'm guessing you could "upgrade."

• Like 1

Blurb from yesterday's Detroit Free Press-

After a sluggish conference start, the Eastern Michigan men enter the tournament with momentum, having won their final six games, including a pair of victories over West Division champion Toledo and wins at Central Michigan and Western Michigan.

The third-seeded Eagles (20-11, 11-7 MAC), who will wait until Thursday to face the winner of Monday's game between No. 6 Western Michigan and No. 11 Akron, last appeared in the NCAA tournament in 1998, when former standout Earl Boykins led EMU to a conference tournament title.

NBA prospect James Thompson IV is averaging a double-double for the Eagles at 15.3 points and 11.5 rebounds per game. Elijah Minnie leads the team in scoring at 16.8 points per game, while Paul Jackson is averaging 14.9 points.

• Thanks 1

The EMU late win streak bought their coach, Rob Murphy, another year on his contract with the school.    Under the terms of his deal with EMU, originally signed in 2011, every year EMU wins 20 games, he automatically gets a one year extension.  His original 2011 contract ran through 2017, but was extended twice, through 2019, after 20-win seasons in 13-14 and 14-15, and he now has been extended through 2020. The deal pays him a base salary of $235,000 a year.

15 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Ohio lottery is running the BOGO with a losing lottery ticket for all games at the Q. Quarterfinals are never well-attended, so I'm guessing you could "upgrade."

Thanks for that. Hadn't seen that they were running the promotion again.

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

FYI:   I called the University and our sections are 107 and 108.   Through Travel Zoo I was able to get two 6th row seats in 109.  There are some available in 108 but further back.   If season ticket holder, your price is $24 but will be distributed by point level. 

I assume you've bought from Travel Zoo and they are reputable? That $14 end zone price is pretty tempting. I bet there will be plenty of opportunity to migrate to better seats for a late game against the EMUs.

2 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

We've struggled against the zone for more than a decade!

???

I can at least tell you that we won ALL 3 GAMES against Eastern last year, and BOTH GAMES the year before that.  And in some of those games, I know we scored in the 80s or 90s.    And I think the 2016 MAC Quarterfinal game was the only one that was really in any jeopardy.  

Edited by skip-zip

20 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I assume you've bought from Travel Zoo and they are reputable? That $14 end zone price is pretty tempting. I bet there will be plenty of opportunity to migrate to better seats for a late game against the EMUs.

Last year I used them for each game.  They are reputable but will send you an email per day about travel deals.  There's a big selection and you can choose the section you want.

14 hours ago, skip-zip said:

???

I can at least tell you that we won ALL 3 GAMES against Eastern last year, and BOTH GAMES the year before that.  And in some of those games, I know we scored in the 80s or 90s.    And I think the 2016 MAC Quarterfinal game was the only one that was really in any jeopardy.  

I don't know how many times we lost close games to near even or better competition under KD when they primarily played zone or switched to it mid-game. I feel like there have been many. However, but I don't have specific examples in mind. Apologies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

FWIW... Eagles open at -5.5.  Broncos I think were -8.   A little love for the Zips in Vegas?

Probably a little more to do with home court vs a neutral court. I'll admit, I thought the line would be 7. ?