Game 32—EMU [MAC Tourney Rnd 2]

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

These are attendance number predictions for the respective schools, not game lines. ;)

That's funny.  

Actually, I was pretty surprised when I saw recently that the listed attendance for last year's Quarterfinal vs. EMU was only about 2,000 people.  But, that was for a NOON game, the first game of the day.  I didn't even realize it was that low, but I was probably too focused on the game to look behind me to see who else was there.  

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So, what's the over/under on the number of free student tickets that will be claimed at the Corner Alley?

I have another question, Clark.  If we win on Saturday and become a 16th seed, could we be one of the teams to play in Dayton for the play-in round? 

Also, if Central beats Buffalo at Noon tomorrow we might be able to accomplish the rare Michigan Trifecta!

And another thing:

Eastern Michigan is 0-5 against the Akron Zips in the MAC Tournament. Thursday, @ZipsMBB will try to make that 0-6.

2017 - Akron 79, EMU 62

2016 - Akron 65, EMU 63

2011 - Akron 67, EMU 53

2010 - Akron 97, EMU 89

2005 - Akron 78, EMU 66

Edited by NWAkron

13 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I have another question, Clark.  If we win on Saturday and become a 16th seed, could we be one of the teams to play in Dayton for the play-in round? 

Also, if Central beats Buffalo at Noon tomorrow we might be able to accomplish the rare Michigan Trifecta!

I'd almost guarantee the Zips would head to Dayton if they pulled off the huge upset tournament win.

54 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

I'd almost guarantee the Zips would head to Dayton if they pulled off the huge upset tournament win.

I've been to the games in Dayton before.  It's actually a fun part of the tournament because all of the matchups are against equal seeds, so it's far more competitive than most of the opening games later in the week.  The City of Dayton rolls out the red carpet, and the UD fans pack the place for all sessions.  It's a lot of fun.  

Generally, the 16 vs. 16 game on both Tuesday and Wednesday night are teams that won conference tournaments, but had really bad records, or sometimes even losing records.  So, to your point, I think it would probably be nearly impossible for us to avoid a 16-seed play-in game, unless there was a lot of really bad teams that pulled tournament mega-upsets in numerous conferences.

The good news is that I'm guessing this would be the closest venue for us to travel.  

• Like 1

ESPN3 –Michael Reghi and Murry Bartow.

EMU has three players scoring in double figures led by third-team All-MAC honoree Elijah Minnie with 16.8 points on 45.7 percent shooting from the floor (184-of-403) and 33.0 percent from downtown with a team-high 65 made 3-point FG (65-of-197). Minnie leads the squad at the free throw line, shooting 84.5 percent (87-of-103), and in blocked shots (54) while ranking second in rebounds (5.9 rebs/g, 184 total) and steals (57). He adds 38 assists to the stat sheet.

First-Team All-MAC selection James Thompson IV follows with 15.3 points per game. Thompson leads the Eagles in FG made (185), FG percentage (.683, 185-of-271) and rebounds (357). Of his 11.5 rebounds per game, Thompson secured 230 defensive boards and 127 offensive rebounds. He is first in blocked shots (55) and adds 24 steals.

Paul Jackson rounds out the double-digit scoring, averaging 14.9, while teammate Tim Bond scores 9.3 points per night on average. Jackson leads the squad in assists (140) while shooting 41.6 percent from the floor (171-of-411) with 27 made triples. Bond shoots 47.5 percent from the floor (112-of-236) and 37.7 percent from long range (29-of-77) with a team-best 77 steals. In addition, Jordan Nobles is a threat from deep, draining a second-best 31 triples on 84 attempts (.369).

Defensively, EMU limits opponents 67.2 points a night on 40.7 percent shooting from the field and 35.1 percent from downtown with 8.0 made 3-pt FG per game. The Eagles caused 456 turnovers (14.7 tpg) while collecting 272 steals (8.8 stl/g) and 191 blocked shots (6.2 blk/g). On the glass, Eastern Michigan is slightly outrebounded by its opponents 1073-1083 for a slim -0.3 margin.

We have not played well against the zone this year.  When we played them before I remember a lot of perimeter passing without any penetration.  This team often runs down the shot clock.  The last thing we want is to run down the shot clock against the zone and then have to force up a contested three.

In the past we have been able to penetrate the zone by getting the ball to a player on the foul line and then letting him drive to the basket or kick it out.  However, we had at least 2 guys with some height, Kwan and Big Dog.  I am hoping that Utomi can get the ball at the foul line and then penetrate.  He was not able to do it last time.  What started our come back last game was some break out baskets after turnovers.  Maybe we can run on these guys.

Last game Groce basically went with a 6 man lineup, Klac and Smith did not get much playing time.  It will be interesting to see if that changes coming into this game.  Finally, we need to stay out of foul trouble.  We cannot afford to have any stupid fouls.  Very little room for error if we are going to win this one.  Need to hit our outside shots.  Go Zips!!

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Getting way ahead of ourselves but I'd almost guarantee we wouldn't be a 16 seed

Agreed. How can anyone say our program warrants a 16 seed when we've been on a list for the past decade with Duke, Kansas, and Ohio State? I thought we had some prestige with that type of company. ;):rolleyes:

In all seriousness, one game at a time, but I think anybody that faces us is going to be in one helluva dog fight. I have a feeling Groce is going to release the hounds like he did against WMU. Hard-nose defense, constant-motion offense, and an overall high-energy performance. I will be quite disappointed if we don't leave it all on the court. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

15 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Agreed. How can anyone say our program warrants a 16 seed when we've been on a list for the past decade with Duke, Kansas, and Ohio State? I thought we had some prestige with that type of company. ;):rolleyes:

In all seriousness, one game at a time, but I think anybody that faces us is going to be in one helluva dog fight. I have a feeling Groce is going to release the hounds like he did against WMU. Hard-nose defense, constant-motion offense, and an overall high-energy performance. I will be quite disappointed if we don't leave it all on the court. 

If there's one thing this team has proven us, it's that they sure aren't gonna leave anything out there.

I have 2 seats available for tonight's session at the Q.  Among the best seats in the house.  Center court, row 9.  CK and Hilltopper among others can vouch for their good location.

Great Seats, competitive pricing.  DM me here .. or better yet, hit me on Twitter if you're interested.  (@ZipWatcher).

I'm up there starting at noon for the early games, but can gladly meet somewhere to hand them off between sessions.  

Go Zips!

11 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I know you meant this at a jab at the 20-win streak, but there's the reality is that those 20+ win Akron teams had a far superior resume than this one.  Winning the tournament would put us at 17-17.  Last year, a 19-15 conference champ was a 16 seed play-in.  If Akron somehow pulls this off, start looking at hotels in Dayton.  

14 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

I know you meant this at a jab at the 20-win streak, but there's the reality is that those 20+ win Akron teams had a far superior resume than this one.  Winning the tournament would put us at 17-17.  Last year, a 19-15 conference champ was a 16 seed play-in.  If Akron somehow pulls this off, start looking at hotels in Dayton.  

It was a bit of a jab, but I was also being serious. Again, not to get way ahead of ourselves, but I do think if we were to win the MAC, we would be higher than a 16 seed. There are multiple factors considered beyond record. According to realtimerpi.com the MAC is the 10th ranked conference (even ahead of the A10). The variances in other conference ranking formulas/systems might drop us down a spot or two, who knows, but the fact is the MAC is in the top third of conferences in the country. That would carry quite a bit of weight, with the perceived "prestige" of Akron's recent success being a bonus. The only way Akron would end up in Dayton would be if the NCAA views it as an opportunity to make money with Akron being relatively close, but those Dayton games always show well attendance wise so I don't think that would be a reason to under-seed the 10th-ranked conference's champion. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

I doubt the Zips would be a 16 seed if they made the tourney. It is easy to forget that the MAC is solidly a mid-major and even though it is way below the "Power" conferences it is still way above the low majors. The 16s are almost always the representatives from the really low conferences like the MEAC and SWAC. There would be a small chance since we would be below .500, but there would have to be absolutely no upsets in a lot of the other conference tournaments.

Interestingly, I have read that a lot of the smaller teams are really happy to play in Dayton. The NCAA counts it as a round of the tournament, so they get a full extra payout if they are able to win and get to the next round. I believe that last year, the winners of the play in round made $3.4 million instead of the $1.7 million they would have made if they went straight to the game against a big school and got beat.

Edited by UAZippers

46 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

How can anyone say our program warrants a 16 seed when we've been on a list for the past decade with Duke, Kansas, and Ohio State?

Just to correct you, It's Gonzaga, Duke and Kansas as the only remaining schools on that list at the end of last year along with Akron.  Ohio State dropped off.  

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

If there's one thing this team has proven us, it's that they sure aren't gonna leave anything out there.

Buddy, you got it right! Regardless of our ups and downs this season or our ZNO arguments we can all take pride in this team. They will leave everything on the court. To me that's always been something of a trademark of Zip sports team. It's who we are. :thumb:

40 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Winning the tournament would put us at 17-17.  Last year, a 19-15 conference champ was a 16 seed play-in.  If Akron somehow pulls this off, start looking at hotels in Dayton.  

That's darn near a 100% Guarantee.

For God's sake, our 2011 tournament championship team that won 23 games was a #15

Maybe they wouldn't look solely at the record, but we'd be a last place team in a crappy conference winning a conference tournament. 

Book it in Dayton.  

Edited by skip-zip