Game 32—EMU [MAC Tourney Rnd 2]

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Can we stop with old coach vs new coach now that this season is over? 

Agreed. We didn't fire KD so we could hire coach Groce. Keith left. 

There is plenty of blame to go around on this one, however, what did any reasonable fan really expect of this season? The team started the season seriously undermanned and the situation never got better with critical injuries to two of the Zips bigs.

Were there plays that could have been made by the Zips players last night? Hell yes.  Were there bad calls by the coaching staff late in the game? Certainly there were. However, in the end analysis, the Zips were quite simply beaten by a deeper and more talented squad.  

At the end of the day, Groce will make mistakes. Dambrot made mistakes. Criticizing either of them is not a demonstration of support for the other. Dambrot is a fine coach. Groce is a fine coach. It's just time to move on from the childish sniping and arguing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

With a full roster, fans shouldn't have seen much of Mark this year. He was a freshman, and forced into helping out his team because of circumstances out of his control. I think I'll wait at least a year, or two, before evaluating the effectiveness of his Zips career. Getting 21 minutes in the second round of the MAC tournament can only help his development. Looking forward to next season already! 

• Like 2

This team has ran out of gas and not been great in clutch situations all year. I was at Q and never felt comfortable.  

Wish I knew what Groce said to get that Tech. He was definitely walking away.  

Thought the T on Ivey was bad and was the  true turning point. 

Tough to win a game when your turning the ball over against the press or get into your offense with 15 seconds left on the shot clock. That's a recipe for disaster going against a quality zone. 

Needed better playmaking/decision making from our 5th year Sr. 

Agree with the statement that Patton probably should've played more during the final min. 

Very bullish on the future of this team.  Groce really had the frosh playing hard. 

Edited by gozips19
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I realize adjustments were made by EMU but I'm having trouble coming to grips with ...

• ... blowing a 19-point lead with 13-14 minutes left in the game. The staff and players built that kind of lead and it's the MAC - I'm just amazed we couldn't hold it.
  • ... two of EMU's best players, Thompson and Minnie, were in foul trouble with 4 fouls apiece and BOTH finished the game on the court. Thompson came back into the game with 4 fouls and 9 minutes left on the clock. At some point I'll try to go back to ESPN3 to watch those last 9 minutes but it just didn't seem to me like we made it a real focus to foul Thompson in particular out of the game. Minnie actually had the better game but Thompson is a load in the middle. We drove and back-cut to the basket in the first half but as someone else pointed out we seemed to stop doing both in the second half. 

Both of these as well as LONG scoring droughts are just Groundhog Day things to me ... and they just drain me as a fan.

Very satisfied with what I saw this year, especially given the injuries and the renewed focus and energy the second half of February. Looking forward to next year already but last night had me believing for a good part of the game that we'd be taking out a #3 seed and playing tonight. Empty feeling will pass and that's part of what this long, dead window of UA sports helps remedy sometimes.

Edited by GoZips88
  • Like 2

1.  The first half moved at a quick pace with minimal fouls and interruptions. 

2.  The second half was a horrible grind.  I looked at the clock around 11 minutes and thought that the Zips were going to have trouble hanging on unless this game moves faster.  Then came all the fouls and technicals and reviews and blah, blah, blah. 

3.  When Zips were running at top form last night, I thought...maybe...they could go all the way. However, when it started to fall apart, I thought even if they hold on they weren't going to survive a Friday night game.

4.  Physical and mental fatigue looked to be playing a huge part at the end.  EMU has the better, more experienced players in key positions and that pulled them through in the end. 

5.  Eastern has a really good team.  I hope they win it all.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

2.  The second half was a horrible grind.  I looked at the clock around 11 minutes and thought that the Zips were going to have trouble hanging on unless this game moves faster.  Then came all the fouls and technicals and reviews and blah, blah, blah. 

Amen.  It felt like the damn clock just stopped there for a while.

EMU just fell short against Toledo.   On the Eagles' last possession, Kevin McAdoo missed a short shot with three seconds to go. In the ensuing tie-up for the ball with 0.8 seconds left, officials reviewed the play and discovered the clock stopped for 1.9 seconds when the Eagles inbounded the ball after Jackson's final 3 and promptly ended it there.  Sounds like the MAC continues to hire great timekeepers.

7 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

EMU just fell short against Toledo.   On the Eagles' last possession, Kevin McAdoo missed a short shot with three seconds to go. In the ensuing tie-up for the ball with 0.8 seconds left, officials reviewed the play and discovered the clock stopped for 1.9 seconds when the Eagles inbounded the ball after Jackson's final 3 and promptly ended it there.  Sounds like the MAC continues to hire great timekeepers.

43 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Our biggest rival for MAC dominance vs the dirtiest program in the MAC...wonderful 

If you truly know as much as you claim to know about Toledo's recruiting practices, then you should turn them in to the powers that be instead of letting our alma mater and the rest of the MAC get cheated. If not, it seems a bit reckless to throw these accusations around routinely.

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, UAZip0510 said:

Our biggest rival for MAC dominance vs the dirtiest program in the MAC...wonderful 

I heard some innuendo about that as well. Maybe it's a holdover from their point-shaving scandal and NCAA probation.

However, I think I can overlook that for a day because I really want to see SUNY Canada sent packing to the NIT.  It's been almost 40 years since Toledo made it to the NCAA.  Time for them to get a chance at it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LZIp said:

If you truly know as much as you claim to know about Toledo's recruiting practices, then you should turn them in to the powers that be instead of letting our alma mater and the rest of the MAC get cheated. If not, it seems a bit reckless to throw these accusations around routinely.

Or, maybe some people are just more knowledgeable than you about certain topics?  And actually do have a basis for what they are posting?

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/toledo-rockets-point-shaving-scandal-three-former-football-players-sentenced-to-probation-033115

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7829414/ncaa-denies-toledo-rockets-appeal-postseason-ban-academics

I'd definitely agree with whoever says that Toledo has had the most "issues" of any men's basketball program in our league over the last several years.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dre22era said:

University as a whole struggling for coins If you think the Zips run a choir boy athletic program I dunno what to tell ya 

In terms of number of violations, yes, we are comparatively "choir boys".  

The day that we hire a team of lawyers and put them on a long term retainer, for the exclusive purpose of litigating violations down to the lowest possible consequences, then I'd say that we were approaching that territory.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Or, maybe some people are just more knowledgeable than you about certain topics?  And actually do have a basis for what they are posting?

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/toledo-rockets-point-shaving-scandal-three-former-football-players-sentenced-to-probation-033115

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7829414/ncaa-denies-toledo-rockets-appeal-postseason-ban-academics

I'd definitely agree with whoever says that Toledo has had the most "issues" of any men's basketball program in our league over the last several years.  

And the point-shaving issue was over 10 years ago.  But if we are going to trade in rumor and speculation lets go all out and say that: Nick Dials was going to blow the whistle and that's why they fired him?  :tomato:

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

Like most things, this comes from hearing from people close to programs that compete with UT for recruits.  I personally have no formal evidence (why would I?) but have heard enough that I do believe they run a dirty program.