Influencers of UA

We all know that money rules the world. We know T. Boone Pickens basically runs Oklahoma State. Phil Knight and Oregon. The Wexner's and OSU. What I think we generally don't know is who the affluential people are that can make stuff happen at the University of Akron. Part of the issue with Scarborough was that he rubbed people the wrong way and we lost donations. Those seem to be going back up now under President Wilson. Who are the movers and shakers that influence important decisions at the U? I'll start the list, feel free to add or argue why someone shouldn't be included as necessary. I'm certain there are some businessmen I'm not aware of.

Lebron James - Obviously not an alumni (yet anyways), but the global icon and soon to be billionaire has partnerships with the U and has remained connected in one way or another since high school.

Matt Kaulig - Former Zips QB, race team sponsor, and successful businessman as the owner of LeafFilter. His involvement with the U and football program is well documented.

Jason Taylor - NFL Hall of Famer who has dabbled some in the entertainment industry. Estimated NW of 25 million. Don't think he is very involved behind the scenes at the U, but there is at least a little bit of relationship there and I think his words would have power.

Goodyear/Quaker Oats/Knight Foundation founders and descendants are or have been involved.

Other names to consider who I am unsure of their net worth/involvement/power:

Joe Gingo (CEO of A. Schulman)

Yvette Nicole Brown (actor)

Mary Taylor (Lt. Governor of Ohio, Governor candidate, former state auditor)

Dan Auberbach/Patrick Carney (Black Keys)

Chase Blackburn (nice NFL career)

Domenik Hixon (nice NFL career)

Jerry Hollendorfer (accomplished horse racer)

Sandy Pianalto (Former president of the Fed. Reserve of Cleveland)

Younger alumni who could maybe be players down the road:
Alex Bliss (Alexis Kaufman) - WWE wrestler/champion, former cheerleader.

DeAndre Yedlin/other professional soccer players

Jatavis Brown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This seems to be academic focused rather than sports and does not show the $ amount of contributions. https://www.uakron.edu/development/honor-roll/index.dot?letter=K&donor_type=indiv

I was unable to find anything like that for the Z Fund, which I suppose is the reason I created this thread - to learn more about who has the power behind the scenes on the sports side. If  I were a betting man, I'd bet @Hilltopper and @skip-zip can provide some input there...

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

This seems to be academic focused rather than sports and does not show the $ amount of contributions. https://www.uakron.edu/development/honor-roll/index.dot?letter=K&donor_type=indiv

I was unable to find anything like that for the Z Fund, which I suppose is the reason I created this thread - to learn more about who has the power behind the scenes on the sports side. If  I were a betting man, I'd bet @Hilltopper and @skip-zip can provide some input there...

That's a weird corporate list. Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland State, Ohio State, Can't State, etc., yet a company like Leaf Filter isn't on there. 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:51 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

That's a weird corporate list. Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland State, Ohio State, Can't State, etc., yet a company like Leaf Filter isn't on there. 

It's because Kaulig Capital LLC is the actual donor and not Leaf Filter.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Couple things - that sounds pretty neat. I'd like to see the movie.

The trailer link at the bottom in the article takes you to some website that's all in some asian language.

Are we sure he still holds the record for most punt return yards in a season?? I'd bet Jojo has that record now.

edit - whoops! Just saw the article is dated for 2012.

Edited by LZIp