2018 Spring Football

CDMac

Generally speaking, I expect the defense to do better than the offense in these Spring scrimmages, particularly because turnovers are often so instinctive and can be caused by an individual.  Whereas the offense tends to need everyone being in sync to be effective and teams usually aren't there in the Spring.  However, I like it when an offense is bold enough in Spring to try some aggressive plays.  It shows they are going to be opening up the playbook for the season.  Alas, picks on bubble screens in the Spring are often just blips because of missed blocking assignments because so many are new to their positions.  Definitely an advantage for a cornerback in those situations.  

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

Alas, picks on bubble screens in the Spring are often just blips because of missed blocking assignments because so many are new to their positions.  Definitely an advantage for a cornerback in those situations.  

Two weeks ago, I was shooting next to a starting corner who wasn't playing at the time. He was calling out each play to the corner that was playing. I think the defense has seen our offense enough to recognize a lot of the plays. I forgot to mention last week that I noticed some misdirection, and more motion in the offense than I remember. Looking forward to Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

Alas, picks on bubble screens in the Spring are often just blips because of missed blocking assignments because so many are new to their positions.  Definitely an advantage for a cornerback in those situations. 

For those looking for specific player evals, one of those picks came from the DE position by Justin Sampson. He was upfield so fast and into the throwing lane before Ramart knew what had happened. Definitely a coaching point for the QB to adjust the flight of the ball to go over/around a charging-up-the-field DE which we saw Ramart do on another play last week. Chalk that one up to "helluva defensive play" but "need to protect the ball better".

I agree that defense is usually ahead of the offense this time of year and TB mentioned this in the interview with Joe Dunn as well.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I think the defense has seen our offense enough to recognize a lot of the plays.

^ this  

Maybe the coaches will put in a couple of plays specifically designed to bait the defense come Saturday on which the offense takes advantage of them cheating a little to execute an explosive play or two. i.e fake the bubble, dip underneath and hit the backside post.

Edited by CDMac

18 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Two weeks ago, I was shooting next to a starting corner who wasn't playing at the time. He was calling out each play to the corner that was playing. I think the defense has seen our offense enough to recognize a lot of the plays. I forgot to mention last week that I noticed some misdirection, and more motion in the offense than I remember. Looking forward to Saturday. 

Interesting.  Another important reason why the defense tends to be "ahead" of the offense in Spring scrimmages.  

The Blue-Gold game may not have enough to field two squads like we are accustomed to with coach Bowden. Don't be surprised to see some sort of modified scoring system like coach Brookhart used to use. This is not the system, just an example of one used. JD brought the system that Pitt used. 

Offense
• 6 points - TD
• 1 point - PAT
• 3 points - FG
• 1 point - Explosive Run (12+)
• 1 point - Explosive Pass (16+)
• 1 point - 3 Consecutive 1st Downs

Defense
• 1 point - 3 and Out
• 2 points - Sack
• 4 points - Turnover
• 1 point - TFL
• 4 points - Offense Starts @ defensive 35 or deeper and doesn't score a TD
• 1 points - FG/PAT Block

"Keyondre White, the freshman who came in January, was having a great spring, until he sprained his ankle." --TB

It's a shame fans won't get to see Keyondre Saturday, he impressed me. I was hoping he would impress other ZN members. 

If I have a chance, I'll ask about Suggs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The converted DB looked pretty natural at the RB position a couple weeks ago

I'd agree with this too.

I think I've been more impressed with our overall running game this year than where it was as a unit last year (even with Warren).

The OL and RB timing appears to be better and we seem to be getting better push up front (not sure if that's a plus for the OL or a negative for the DL).

I just feel like the whole operation (scheme/blocking/running) is more efficient.

They've been rather consistent in getting positive yards on the early downs to help take some pressure off the passing game having to come up with 3rd and long conversions all the time.

10 hours ago, K92 said:

The most important question before the Spring Game. . .

ARE THEY GOING TO HAVE THOSE ZIPPY CUTOUT COOKIES???

I’ll get a post up if I locate any.....Promise!

Just a few hours until the Spring game, and I really sense a more casual interest this season than the last two.  Not as much traffic on the Board, no "who's going?"  "Any tailgating plans?" banter.  Am I wrong?  And if I'm not, why is the lack of more than curious interest?

ABJ: Coach Terry Bowden expects defense to be ahead of offense in Spring Game

As Coach mentions in the article, I'm mainly interested in watching Kato & Ramart.  Receivers are inexperienced & we only have one scholarship RB playing today (is Chuck Turfe not on scholarship?) so the defense has even more of an advantage than usual today.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Pretty nice crowd today, I thought. The weather probably helped.

The parking lot was full, there were cars and trucks parking on Carroll along the Natatorium side. I didn't want to risk that so I pulled in a space in front of the JAR and dumped a bunch of quarters into the meter. When I went back after the game, all of those cars and trucks were gone. They couldn't have all left early. I wonder which tow yard got a bunch of business today.

The O was definately behind the D early, but they did get off a few big plays in the second half that were impressive. Kato could have broke off some impressive runs if not for the touch rule. 

Not a lot is going to translate to the regular season but overall it was nice to just get outside and watch some football.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Caleb Green should get some carries? The converted DB looked pretty natural at the RB position a couple weeks ago. 

Turned an ankle earlier this week, held out for precautionary reasons. More notes to follow soon.

Notes from gozips.com:

In the first quarter, senior Tom O’Leary (Tucker, Ga.) put the Blue squad on the scoreboard on the opening drive with a 42-yard field goal.  As time expired in the quarter, the White squad tied the score with a 49-yard field goal by senior Nick Gasser (Liberty Township, Ohio).

In the second quarter, the White squad took the lead with a 24-yard field goal by junior Jerry Fitschen (Orange, Calif.). 

In the third quarter, sophomore QB Kato Nelson(Hollywood, Fla.) connected with redshirt senior WR Kwadarrius Smith (Orlando, Fla.) on a 65-yard touchdown pass for the Blue squad, completing a six-play, 95-yard drive to give Blue a 10-6 lead.

In the fourth quarter, Blue won capped the 17-6 game victory with a 10-yard touchdown pass from redshirt freshman QB Alex Ramart(Richmond, Texas) to sophomore WR Nate Stewart (Bethlehem, Pa.).

No statistics were kept.

Had a great time.  Got some decent cheap swag from the sale (including my 3rd Matthew Wilson bobblehead if anyone needs one!).  Team looked better than in many of the other recent spring games.  Interesting to see Bubba Arselanian in at FB.  Ramart looks like a most capable backup to Kato.  All in all a fun day in Zip land!

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Had a great time.  Got some decent cheap swag from the sale (including my 3rd Matthew Wilson bobblehead if anyone needs one!).  Team looked better than in many of the other recent spring games.  Interesting to see Bubba Arselanian in at FB.  Ramart looks like a most capable backup to Kato.  All in all a fun day in Zip land!

God Clark, I too got sucked into the $5 grab bag and ....voila!....a Matt Head!  But did get a nice warm-up pants, zip up warm-up top for a nice price, and more....  I thought the crowd was pretty nice, and they were into things.  Nice to have some of the band on hand too.  I thought Kato looked more calm than expected...maybe s little more mature.  We'll see when the real action happens.  Lack of personnel led to a fun look at Bubba Arlasnian running the ball!   A 49 yard field goal!  Kwads showed his winter muscle pull has no ill effects.  A little chippiness out there as well!  Defense definitely ahead of offense.  Wolfley looked strong.   Cooper carried a ton.Could not find a single Zippy cookie on level 7.  George Thomas was actually here in person!.  Our favorite female referee (remember Arkansas State?) comically had the clock operator add 6 seconds TWICE in the final minutes of the first half....IT'S A SPRING GAME!  Running clock in second half....JoJo Natson was on hand too!  A few Alums made it.  

• Like 1

It was nice to just watch some football. Got a nice deal on sneakers and some compression pants. I, too, got sucked into that damn grab bag and got a Wilson bobblehead. I saw some people getting what looked to be youth sized Lebron Akron jerseys.

I personally didn't take much from the game. It was nice to see O'Leary and Gasser hit decent length FGs. One bad long snap which caused a safety on a punt attempt. Lyons looked pretty upset about it.

Rich Hall and Wolfley stuck out to me. Booker and Williams better be ready to compete, because he is going to push them. I saw Warren Ball and Jojo on the sidelines. Good to see them there.

Looked like MTB was held out, hopefully for just precautionary reasons. I keep wondering about McGriff. I did not see a #8 on the sidelines. I also noticed Darryl Long lined up in the slot once.

Edited by LZIp