Balsey and tboned Discussion on Facilities and Unaffordable Housing

tboned

I realize this is a sports forum, so I guess I am off base, but I see things differently.  Let's put $100/mil  into the College of Engineering, the College of Polymer Science, the College of Business administration.  We need a massive effort at job creation through the U of A. I love the University and I love Akron, but we are in a massive economic decline IMO.  First Merit bank gone. Lockheed Martin gone. Omnova Solutions gone. Ashulman bought by European company.  Sterling jeweler shedding employees and struggling.  Parker Hannifin has closed Akron operations. First Energy about to shed massive numbers of employees. 

City of Akron officials worried about passing an ordinance to eliminate Columbus day and replace it with Pocahontas day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seriously,  These Economic issues feed directly into the U of A. We have declining enrollment. A declining population in general. We need a massive effort including the U of A to create Business’s, Employment and growth in the local Economy.   Every time I hear a local official talk about affordable housing I shudder!!! We have nothing but affordable housing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED UNAFFORABLE HOUSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!       

34 minutes ago, tboned said:

I realize this is a sports forum, so I guess I am off base, but I see things differently.  Let's put $100/mil  into the College of Engineering, the College of Polymer Science, the College of Business administration.  We need a massive effort at job creation through the U of A. I love the University and I love Akron, but we are in a massive economic decline IMO.  First Merit bank gone. Lockheed Martin gone. Omnova Solutions gone. Ashulman bought by European company.  Sterling jeweler shedding employees and struggling.  Parker Hannifin has closed Akron operations. First Energy about to shed massive numbers of employees. 

City of Akron officials worried about passing an ordinance to eliminate Columbus day and replace it with Pocahontas day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seriously,  These Economic issues feed directly into the U of A. We have declining enrollment. A declining population in general. We need a massive effort including the U of A to create Business’s, Employment and growth in the local Economy.   Every time I hear a local official talk about affordable housing I shudder!!! We have nothing but affordable housing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED UNAFFORABLE HOUSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!       

I feel there are a lot here that would agree with you. I'd love for Zips basketball to get a new arena, but it would be a huge waste of student and/or taxpayer dollars. If there was money to be made off a downtown arena a private developer would be bankrolling the project.

21 hours ago, tboned said:

I think Lebron should write that check.  :D

On 4/5/2018 at 11:45 AM, tboned said:

I agree with a lot that is said here.  Though I believe that declining student enrollment has less to do with the economic situation in the larger area, and more to do with other factors; namely the state of ohio putting greater restrictions on institutions for their retention rates by cutting funding, which led Akron to directly accepting less students.  If the U focuses on the regional economy than it also needs to focus on the educational needs of the students of the region; that was the bread-and-butter of UA until the state decided to change it's formula.  

Changing Columbus Day to Pocahontas day is an erroneous comment that has nothing to do with this conversation, nor does it impact the Economic Issues of the region.  Seriously, it should have been done away with a century ago. (Let it be known that I did not bring up this topic first).