Xeyrius Williams transferring in

A dividend from the Dayton/Akron game (and Dayton's new coach's ability to alienate players)

Xeyrius Williams (the man who is only one letter from having every vowel in the alphabet in his name) announced Monday that he will be transferring to Akron.

Will have to sit out a year, but this is a really good get for the Zips

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

This guy only has ONE YEAR left to play -- and must sit out next season! 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/xeyrius-williams-announces-leaving-dayton-flyers/sWAWyHGN9W5cJ8QitOMkcO/

Are you Xeyrius?! He would have really cool initials if his middle name started with Z or Y.

Edited by ZippyRulz

10 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

This guy only has ONE YEAR left to play -- and must sit out next season! 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/xeyrius-williams-announces-leaving-dayton-flyers/sWAWyHGN9W5cJ8QitOMkcO/

Yep, but he's going to play for us. Plus, don't think other recruits aren't watching and seeing a Dayton player - who played decent minutes with solid production - transferring to Akron. That helps. 

Does anyone know who else he was considering? 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Yep, but he's going to play for us. Plus, don't think other recruits aren't watching and seeing a Dayton player - who played decent minutes with solid production - transferring to Akron. That helps. 

Does anyone know who else he was considering? 

The below article says he was also considering PCCC. Glad to see he made the smart choice.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/former-flyers-forward-williams-picks-new-school/BoBEMNEUml75EgmXpevyEK/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

Maybe he can pull off what Antino did last year and get enough credits to get his degree over the summer to be a grad transfer. He would be eligible to play right away.

Don't hold your breath on that possibility.  This guy is a good enough athlete that he doesn't really belong in school.  Hopefully his back problems will be ancient history in a year and a half.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I mean the last I checked you can leave college after 1 season. If he doesn't belong here, why is he still here then? I hope you're right Zipmeister, but the hype seems a  tad unsubstantiated.

That was my confusion....if he is so good, why is he essentially going to be in school for what......5 years now?

3 minutes ago, a-zip said:

That was my confusion....if he is so good, why is he essentially going to be in school for what......5 years now?

and at Dayton and Akron at that. History has shown you can be a damn good MAC player and still not sniff the NBA. Quite the expectation being placed on him, IMO.

Zipmeister is a Dayton area resident. I think the point he is making is that Williams is a very gifted athlete but not necessarily a gifted student. The idea that he would have to sit out and attend class for a year in order to play his last year at another institution seems strange.

• Like 1

Nice article By David Jablonski, answers some concerns and questions. 

“Akron really, really just won me over,” Williams said. “They showed me the opportunity they’re going to have for me. I really bought into that. I loved their plans to utilize me. I have to sit out one year, and I love their plan for me in my off year. It’s a really important year for me, health-wise and skill-wise on the court. After I came back from my Kent State visit and talked to both coaches and really talking to Akron, I really felt they were 100 percent about me and wholeheartedly wanted me in their program. I wanted to be in the program, too. I’m 100 percent all in.”

“I love coach Groce,” Williams said. “I love his excitement. I love his honesty. I love his plan for me. He talked a lot about what I need to work on. I love that. I love the development piece. I still need to develop. I’ve only scratched the surface of my potential. He really wants to develop me, and I’m ready to go to work for him.” The year away from the court — at least in game action — will give him a chance to get healthy. He battled a back injury last season. I’m at about 90 percent,” Williams said. “(Groce) wants me to make sure I’m at 100 and there’s no question and I’m not going to do anything to reset the process.”

Asked what the main reason he left Dayton was, Williams said, “There was just a disconnect with the coaching staff. I didn’t like their plan for me. It’s a good group of guys, a good coaching staff, but our plans didn’t match up. I want to go to a place where the coaches’ plan and my plan match up. We both want to win championships. I know basketball’s not done for me after these two years. I want to find a program that’s going to set me up for life after college and even life after basketball.”

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Zipmeister is a Dayton area resident. I think the point he is making is that Williams is a very gifted athlete but not necessarily a gifted student. The idea that he would have to sit out and attend class for a year in order to play his last year at another institution seems strange.

This is how I interpreted his posts. I agree its strange, but it sounds like he doesn't feel he's developing under the current coaching staff (I believe he came in under Miller?). 2 years to develop before entering the pro ranks - either the NBA or overseas - is a great option. 

57 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Nice article By David Jablonski, answers some concerns and questions. 

Here's what I gathered from this article. 

He likes the words really, develop, and love.