2019 Offers

3 hours ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Kimani Binder has been offered a scholly to Akron    

Juco transfer

6'3 

180#

2 star SG prospect

From Orlando FL

Kid's got a nice stroke based on his high school video from 2017. I can only imagine he has gotten better. 

I'm assuming Groce is looking to add a JUCO kid to help fill Utomi's void, then a 4 year kid. I like it. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing another grad transfer, like Duvivier, plucked from the free agent market. He was as good as Utomi, and more consistent.

As much as the mid-majors are losing their senior "stars" to Power 5 schools, the seniors sitting on the pine at Power 5's are transferring down to MAC-level programs. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I wouldn't mind seeing another grad transfer, like Duvivier, plucked from the free agent market. He was as good as Utomi, and more consistent.

As much as the mid-majors are losing their senior "stars" to Power 5 schools, the seniors sitting on the pine at Power 5's are transferring down to MAC-level programs. 

Nope, we need only incoming freshman who are at least 6'10"!  :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Example for this coming year?

Jeff Goodman did a piece yesterday identifying the best players he felt were currently on the transfer market. He breaks out which ones are grad transfers and which ones aren't. Surprisingly I didn't see Ohio's Carter on the list (I may have missed it), but Utomi is included. A small scouting report is given for each player.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/these-are-the-best-college-basketball-players-transferring-this-offseason-04-01-2019/amp/

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Jeff Goodman did a piece yesterday identifying the best players he felt were currently on the transfer market. He breaks out which ones are grad transfers and which ones aren't. Surprisingly I didn't see Ohio's Carter on the list (I may have missed it), but Utomi is included. A small scouting report is given for each player.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/these-are-the-best-college-basketball-players-transferring-this-offseason-04-01-2019/amp/

We have Tyler Cheese.  Would be cool to get Cameron Lard.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The University of Akron has two top basketball players who have entered the portal: Jimond Ivey and Daniel Utomi. “Both are graduate transfers and both are going somewhere else. But they also could have stayed in Akron and played another year and gone into grad school at Akron.”

:lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The University of Akron has two top basketball players who have entered the portal: Jimond Ivey and Daniel Utomi. “Both are graduate transfers and both are going somewhere else. But they also could have stayed in Akron and played another year and gone into grad school at Akron.”

Terry's busted cheating off someone's paper!

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/ncaa-final-four-graduate-transfers.html

NCAA considering a rule where if a school receives a grad transfer and the player does not earn his masters degree within 1 year, the school is docked a hoops scholarship the following year (which seems to ignore many grad programs take 2 years to complete)

Just putting it on the radar since the Zips seem like a team who could use a grad transfer to fill out next year's roster

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

SG Ben Roderick 2 star committed to Ohio U

And this is why I didn't want O-Who to hire Boals. He coached at OSUcks and knows the CBus area. No idea how he'll turn out, but not only is Columbus a hot bed for talent, it's a hot bed we have ignored for years. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

And this is why I didn't want O-Who to hire Boals. He coached at OSUcks and knows the CBus area. No idea how he'll turn out, but not only is Columbus a hot bed for talent, it's a hot bed we have ignored for years. 

its amazing how many people here in the Columbus area don't even know that Akron is big enough to be in the MAC. Many here seem to think of Akron as the same level as Ohio Northern or Ashland. I really want that perception to change. The quickest way to do it is through athletics.

It seems to me that just about every other Ohio MAC school recruits the Columbus area more than Akron, at least in the sports that are featured most prominently on television. I'd love to see that change.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:31 PM, GJGood said:

its amazing how many people here in the Columbus area don't even know that Akron is big enough to be in the MAC. Many here seem to think of Akron as the same level as Ohio Northern or Ashland. I really want that perception to change. The quickest way to do it is through athletics.

It seems to me that just about every other Ohio MAC school recruits the Columbus area more than Akron, at least in the sports that are featured most prominently on television. I'd love to see that change.

Couldn't agree more with GJ. I left the Akron area in 1989 and love living in Columbus, but no one here has a clue about the Zips. They think we are lucky to be in the MAC and are like a YSU w/o the winning football tradition. They know nothing of Soccer, Basketball, W. Swimming or Track and Field. Most think we have a Cleveland State-type campus = no grass or trees. The news on Akron is mostly negative, that is, losing teams, financial crisis, rust belt economy, axed programs, poor leadership (Scarborough). We would do well to recruit this area. The population base will soon be the biggest in the state and the athletic programs are outstanding, like NE Ohio in the 70's and 80's. We will never, ever pass OSU, but we can build a better rep by getting athletes to go to Akron and have them play on winning teams like Will Trapp, Abdul Salaam, Christie Smith and many more, all from Columbus.  

• Like 4