2019 Offers

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Seems like a d*@# move to have put it out there like that. Down to two teams.  Almost like he's asking for one side to up the offer.  

I am disappointed, but on the scale of d@*# moves this doesn't even register. Now what Cliff Alexander did to Illini fans was brutal. Everyone watched him reach for the Illinois hat first and then put it down for the Kansas hat. A total jackknife of emotions in a split-second.

It went down like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ9MkfFtp6E

Illini Nation's reaction went something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qCYErpJTF8

So you want to be a Division 1 basketball coach? Illini fans later felt we got the last laugh because Alexander should have gone on to a stellar NBA career after 2 years in college. Instead he was benched the last 8 games of his freshman season when an NCAA investigation was launched (Not surprising). A knee injury then kept him undrafted and though he has signed with some NBA squads he has just been bouncing around ever since. I lay all of this drama at the feet of his parents. Total waste of talent.

• Sad 1

I'm satisfied with who we signed.  I remember reading about Tribble's game a couple of years ago.  (I remembered after seeing the cool birthmark on his eye.)  He can help us this season.  Especially given that college ball is so guard dominant, if I had to pick one of the two, I'd pick who we got.  

Having said that, we're definitely going to need to bring in two bigs for the 2020-21 season. 

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Who was our last recruit?

TRibble was our last scholarship.  In hindsight, I would rather Dos Anjos than Maishe.  We would get a player who can play next year and then develop hopefully over 4 years.   I just don't think our needs were to have someone sit for a year then play for one year.  WE need to build a team, not rent a player.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

TRibble was our last scholarship.  In hindsight, I would rather Dos Anjos than Maishe.  We would get a player who can play next year and then develop hopefully over 4 years.   I just don't think our needs were to have someone sit for a year then play for one year.  WE need to build a team, not rent a player.

I agree with you completely, in hindsight. Landing Dos Anjos and Tribble was the better outcome. And too many short-term fixes are not good either. The problem is we have so little information to go on. I think it's possible that if the order in which these players decided to commit was flip-flopped around we might have had a different result. Maishe will bring maturity and experience for that one season, but I think he was recruited as an insurance policy at point guard more than anything. Now that we have secured Tribble, Maishe might be moved over to the 2 or 3 spot. I wish after all the dust settles on the recruiting process Groce would share some of the strategy and play by play action. Maybe someone will ask him.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZIPS96 said:

Akron has signed Tre Edwards, a wing from Toronto, source told @Stadium. Played with UPlay and was at Hamilton Heights for two years. Did post-grad year this year at Link Prep.

Just saw this on Twitter 

Fulford is flying a Canadian flag on his twitter. It looks like we beat out Buffalo, New Mexico, Nevada and Missouri for him too. And a three point shooter named Tre. Seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spqqayYHhE8

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11978841/5c38b8ee0c53620904110ed8

Edited by Illini Zip

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Fulford is flying a Canadian flag on his twitter. It looks like we beat out Buffalo, New Mexico, Nevada and Missouri for him too. And a three point shooter named Tre. Seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spqqayYHhE8

Buffalo's fall from grace was swift and epic.  Would this Tre person be a one year player?

15 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Buffalo's fall from grace was swift and epic.  Would this Tre person be a one year player?

Nope he is a full commit, a high school player who played in prep school for a year. Toles and Dawson went similar routes.

Edited by Illini Zip