2019 Offers

This could prove to be a significant get, and a turning point for the program. Up to this point, we haven't necessarily beaten out other solid schools for 4-year recruits. Everyone knows we need a shooter/scorer, and this guy looks to be just that. I'm expecting some pretty immediate impact from him this year. 

Side note: how huge is it to have Fulford on the staff for recruiting purposes? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This could prove to be a significant get, and a turning point for the program. Up to this point, we haven't necessarily beaten out other solid schools for 4-year recruits. Everyone knows we need a shooter/scorer, and this guy looks to be just that. I'm expecting some pretty immediate impact from him this year. 

Side note: how huge is it to have Fulford on the staff for recruiting purposes? 

Someone said they now have too many players on scholarship?  Is that correct? I read somewhere that we lost Jimond to a transfer.

• Haha 2

OK, someone has to go. IMHO, Sayles. Toles. or Roscoe are the odd man out. Sayles and Toles always hurt, but coach may want to keep Sayles for his height and the lack of forwards. Of course, we are early and someone may just transfer out or get arrested or whatever.

I am totally against redshirting anyone. Coming off two horrible years, we look like we have some frosh that can really help. Sitting them would be an awful mistake, another bad year and more people will transfer out, probably including a redshirt.

Coach needs these dunk monsters to save his job.

Here is a short article.

http://northpolehoops.com/2019/05/21/akron-locks-commitment-from-tre-edwards/

Also, I'm puzzled to how this is going to play out with Tre Edwards. According to this schedule the signing period for the 2019-20 season was over on May 15th. (Note that athletes sign during two periods Fall & Spring which are identified by the little black triangles in the corners) https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/recruiting/calendars/2018-19DIMBB_RecruitingCalendar.pdf

Edwards has already had his gap year and is listed as a 2019 recruit. Why did he not sign with someone by May 15th? Maybe there is an exemption I am not aware of? I imagine he could enroll in class at Akron for 2019-20 because he is qualified academically and then plan to sign onto the team in the Fall. The problem with that is the Fall signing period is right around the kick off of the 2019-20 basketball season. He would likely be allowed to play right away, but he will have had no official practice time with the team. So I guess that makes him a redshirt candidate. That would be a shame because he looks like he could add some instant offense coming off the bench. Also, he probably could practice his skill work during the Summer and even play pick-up games with his new teammates, but he will not be able to even be in the gym during practices until he officially signs. What am I missing guys?

Edited by Illini Zip

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Here is a short article.

Edwards has already had his gap year and is listed as a 2019 recruit. Why did he not sign with someone by May 15th? Maybe there is an exemption I am not aware of?

The Canadian calendar is actually a week later than the American calendar.  So considering that, the time change, customs, weather and the NCAA Canadian exemption, this makes total sense.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Perhaps he greyshirts (is that right, maybe blue shirt?) And starts playing spring semester

That's an interesting idea. I didn't think of that. But that would mean his Senior year he would be limited to just the non-conference schedule, right? I don't know if I like that too much.

8 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Too much thinking going on. If he committed outside the normal signing period, there must have been a reason. Maybe Canadian rules apply.

It's not often that I'm accused of too much thinking. You and NWAkron might be right that it's a Canadian thing. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with customs.  :D

10 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

It's not often that I'm accused of too much thinking. You and NWAkron might be right that it's a Canadian thing. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with customs.  :D

It just does not make sense that a heavily recruited guy would give up a year.

46 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

That's an interesting idea. I didn't think of that. But that would mean his Senior year he would be limited to just the non-conference schedule, right? I don't know if I like that too much.

No he would play half of this year and three full years. I think that's a thing. Maybe I'm losing it.. anyway I doubt that's what the deal is, why pick Akron over Mizzou and such if they're offering the traditional route and we aren't? Someone's gotta be on the way out

40 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

No he would play half of this year and three full years. I think that's a thing. Maybe I'm losing it.. anyway I doubt that's what the deal is, why pick Akron over Mizzou and such if they're offering the traditional route and we aren't? Someone's gotta be on the way out

If you watch the Twitter video, his mom says she drove to every one of his games and put a lot of miles in her car.  So when Buffalo collapsed Akron was maybe the next closest thing.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

If you watch the Twitter video, his mom says she drove to every one of his games and put a lot of miles in her car.  So when Buffalo collapsed Akron was maybe the next closest thing.  

St. Bonnie is actually 2 hours closer if we are talking Canadian border in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

How does this relate to us? He is not on our chart.

We were recruiting him. Now he is putting off his decision until next year. We are likely done now as well. I'm sure we will continue to track his progress and we will have 4 more scholarships open up in the Fall. Someone should tell him there is a good prep school in Huntington, West Virginia.  ;)

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Javohn Garcia going to prep school

Translation-

"I screwed off academically for the last 4 years and believed I could succeed solely on my athletic talent, or I have a higher opinion of my skills than the college coaches, so I am going to prep school to qualify or further showcase my skills.  Please respect my decision of choosing prep school over junior college."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2019 at 6:30 PM, Illini Zip said:

Here is a short article.

Also, I'm puzzled to how this is going to play out with Tre Edwards. According to this schedule the signing period for the 2019-20 season was over on May 15th. (Note that athletes sign during two periods Fall & Spring which are identified by the little black triangles in the corners) https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/recruiting/calendars/2018-19DIMBB_RecruitingCalendar.pdf

Edwards has already had his gap year and is listed as a 2019 recruit. Why did he not sign with someone by May 15th? Maybe there is an exemption I am not aware of? I imagine he could enroll in class at Akron for 2019-20 because he is qualified academically and then plan to sign onto the team in the Fall. The problem with that is the Fall signing period is right around the kick off of the 2019-20 basketball season. He would likely be allowed to play right away, but he will have had no official practice time with the team. So I guess that makes him a redshirt candidate. That would be a shame because he looks like he could add some instant offense coming off the bench. Also, he probably could practice his skill work during the Summer and even play pick-up games with his new teammates, but he will not be able to even be in the gym during practices until he officially signs. What am I missing guys?

Correction: I don't want to be guilty of spreading fake news. Even though Edwards is graduating high school from a place called Link Year Prep in Branson, Missouri which does have a gap year program, he is still only 18 years old. So I am now thinking he is your standard high school Senior at this point. My bad.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1