Game 1—@Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dr Z

46 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Such a delusional fan base.  They think just bringing in a new coach will change everything back to what it used to be.  I've got news for you.  The players for them now aren't as good as they were before.  Looking forward to the wake-up call that will come from the Zips.  

P.S.  Each time you score, listen for the roar of approval that will come westward from Ames.  

Edited by Cykron
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cykron said:

They think just bringing in a new coach will change everything back to what it used to be.

Hard to argue what Frost did at UCF. I hope your are correct though. Is Frost playing the space and pace offense? The last time the Zips faced that type of offense (FAU), it didn't turn out so well. I hope a hand or two on their QB will be the difference with this years defense. And more than 11 first downs. 

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

Such a delusional fan base.  They think just bringing in a new coach will change everything back to what it used to be.  I've got news for you.  The players for them now aren't as good as they were before.  Looking forward to the wake-up call that will come from the Zips.  

P.S.  Each time you score, listen for the roar of approval that will come westward from Ames.  

What do you mean "the players for them now aren't as good as they were before"

A. the (new and returning) players aren't as good as those players were in previous years.

B. the (new and returning) players aren't as good as the players at Nebraska last year.

C. the players they have now aren't as good as the players for Nebraska when they were perennially  in the hunt for a national championship.

Nebraska fans aren't claiming they are going to have a national powerhouse this year, but like me they are fairly certain Scott Frost is the man to get them to that level sooner rather than later.  They sure aren't the same as last years team.  Their stable of running backs includes 5 that are really good (basically interchangeable with freshman Maurice Washington perhaps the most talented).  They have rebuilt their secondary with juco  and grad transfers and another freshman, Cam Taylor, may start at one corner.  Question mark at QB; 3 kids who have never thrown a division 1 pass, but all look pretty impressive.  My hope is that Coach Frost plays everyone on the 110 man roster against Akron and that the Zips don't suffer any serious injuries.

Note to DrZ: look for quick plays and no huddle.

6 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

What do you mean "the players for them now aren't as good as they were before"

A. the (new and returning) players aren't as good as those players were in previous years.

B. the (new and returning) players aren't as good as the players at Nebraska last year.

C. the players they have now aren't as good as the players for Nebraska when they were perennially  in the hunt for a national championship.

Nebraska fans aren't claiming they are going to have a national powerhouse this year, but like me they are fairly certain Scott Frost is the man to get them to that level sooner rather than later.  They sure aren't the same as last years team.  Their stable of running backs includes 5 that are really good (basically interchangeable with freshman Maurice Washington perhaps the most talented).  They have rebuilt their secondary with juco  and grad transfers and another freshman, Cam Taylor, may start at one corner.  Question mark at QB; 3 kids who have never thrown a division 1 pass, but all look pretty impressive.  My hope is that Coach Frost plays everyone on the 110 man roster against Akron and that the Zips don't suffer any serious injuries.

Note to DrZ: look for quick plays and no huddle.

C.

Do not underestimate the delusion present in the Nebraska fan base.  They talk about the national championships like they were yesterday . . . and just around the corner in the future.   Go [Home] Big Red!  :tomato:

26 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

"Andrew Bunch being in the mix raised some eyebrows, considering he is a walk-on. After a Sunday scrimmage and two more practices completed this week, the coaches have hinted Bunch at least, has dropped out of competition for the starting job. That means the race is down to the two players we all knew would be in the race the longest. The only way Scott Frost or the rest of the offensive coaching staff would have bumped Adrian or Tristan out is if they had some real problems picking up the offense."

Zero college passes attempted from either. 

qb.jpg

This writer's tongue was firmly planted in his cheek. It was very funny, but also it pissed me off. We will continue to get this arrogance from P5 schools until we beat a few. Then the narrative will change. Until then let's expect it and keep focused on continual improvement. 

One final thought: I'd love to see the author write this way about Ohio State. Say what you want about the Buckeyes, but you do this kind of crap and Urban will beat you 50-0. Will SB Nebraska be laughing then? 

48 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Nebraska RB calling it a career. Unsure how much he was figured to play this year, but the article makes it seem like he was pretty good.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/nebraska-running-back-tre-bryant-retires-from-football-because-of/article_f9c76670-61f6-57bf-8ec9-85b388ea4258.html

He was definitely one of NUs top 5 RBs (probably top 2 with good knees), but was getting limited reps in practice, and Frost said he would be on a "pitch count" during games because of his injury.  They just awarded 3 walk-ons a scholarship including one RB.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:35 AM, Dr Z said:

This reads "FOX", so I imagine your local fox channel. WJW in Cleveland. The guide on goes to Aug 25th right now, but we can probably check next week to know for sure. 

fox.jpg

I have already checked the guide in my Tivo.  It is indeed your local Fox (WJW in the Cleveland area).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zipsrule said:

"On 5/29/2018 at 8:58 AM, Cykron said:

Fusker fans make Buckwheat fans seem humble!  They live in the past as if those great teams have any relevance to today.  I love your chances in Lincoln." 

That sounds exactly like OU (Ohio U) fans for basketball!  

Please keep in mind that Cykron loved Custer's chances at the Little Big Horn and the 7th Calvary wasn't a 23.5 point dog.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

Please keep in mind that Cykron loved Custer's chances at the Little Big Horn and the 7th Calvary wasn't a 23.5 point dog.

I am a fan of Custer, namely Clayton Custer, starting guard for Loyola MBB started his career with Iowa State!  He left because he wasn't getting enough playing time behind Monte Morris.  And, true to your post, I did pick Loyola to go to the Elite 8!  Zip those Huskers!

23 minutes ago, feetg10 said:

Wow. I'd say that is good news for us

It is pretty much best case scenario for us. We have a solid secondary and it seems a very much improving LD/DE corps. 

Where we have trouble stacking up against P5 teams is size and that means our run game and their run game. It will be interesting to see our RBs can get any space, especially in the first half. Kato will have a chance to prove he can let the game come to him instead of forcing the action against Nebraska. Let's hope his 2017 experience taught him a few things...and that Lavar can keep out of the picture.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

It is pretty much best case scenario for us. We have a solid secondary and it seems a very much improving LD/DE corps. 

Where we have trouble stacking up against P5 teams is size and that means our run game and their run game. It will be interesting to see our RBs can get any space, especially in the first half. Kato will have a chance to prove he can let the game come to him instead of forcing the action against Nebraska. Let's hope his 2017 experience taught him a few things...and that Lavar can keep out of the picture.

He ran for 1500 yards his junior year, so I suspect we'd need to worry most about him scrambling.