Game 1—@Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dr Z

Scott Frost is a pretty decent coach and if he thinks the freshman is their best QB, there's a reason. I remember watching an 18 year old true freshman Jameis Winston go like 32 for 35 in his first start at Pitt. Guess what I'm saying is we have no idea if this kid will be good or not, but being a freshman has sht to do with it.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, WD UA 2015 said:

Nebraska will be starting a true freshman at quarterback. He missed his senior year in high school due to injury. https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Adrian-Martinez-wins-Nebraska-Huskers-quarterback-job-121047787/

So the kid hasn't played a true football game in 2 years? Wow. Absolute best case scenario on paper. 

Being realistic that they're "Nebraska" and in the Big 10...this is still about as good a chance as the Zips will have to get a Power 5 win.

Huskers were 4-8 last season, with a loss to Northern Illinois. They're starting a freshman QB. It's not exactly Baker Mayfield, backed by Samaje Perine and Mixon.

"Can the Zips offense move the ball?" is the big question. 

"Can Davis, Brady and Gilbert make the Freshman QB uncomfortable?" is probably my #2 biggest key.

Our defense will hold it's own, if they get a few breathers. If the offense goes 3-and-out all day, we're screwed.

Fingers are crossed that Sands is healthy. If he played the entire game, that would be huge. 

Keep the turnovers to a minimum, Kato. And hit your open WR's.

41 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

So the kid hasn't played a true football game in 2 years? Wow. Absolute best case scenario on paper. 

I'm confident that our D will test him early and often.  He may be the real deal, but one does wonder if this is a product of an empty cupboard.  I was going to try to make the trip to Lincoln, but $!00 seats 45 rows deep in the corner of the end zone will be keeping me home.  I will be in Evanston and Ames.

58 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

No fancy ESPN+ subscription required this week.

8.jpg

For Northeast Ohio this is one of those neighbor-texts-you "Holy crap...turn on Channel 8...the Zips are up 20 on Nebraska in the 4th quarter!!" games. You couldn't ask for a higher-visibility opportunity for the program to get some recognition. Could be "Zips-Michigan Part II"?

A competitive showing, or better yet a win, would be HUGE.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I'm putting you on the "glass is half-full team."

Please do. I will gladly retain my permanent spot on that team. It's even better when the optimism is factually based. Go Zips!

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I'm confident that our D will test him early and often.  He may be the real deal, but one does wonder if this is a product of an empty cupboard.  I was going to try to make the trip to Lincoln, but $!00 seats 45 rows deep in the corner of the end zone will be keeping me home.  I will be in Evanston and Ames.

Exactly. It's not like this kid was the sure-fire starter coming into camp. He had to win the job, and it doesn't sound like it was a convincing victory, either. Time will tell, but on paper, it's a great scenario for us. 

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

For those who appreciate irony, I think a contributing factor to Martinez selection was the coaches fear that he would transfer if not selected as the starter.

Hope Gebbia doesn't live to regret his move.  Turner Gill, the best (what is now called a duel threat) QB ever at Nebraska started his soph. year as 3rd string.  Injuries to the two guys ahead of him made him the starter just a few games into the season.

Somebody is going to get one hell of a QB in Gebbia

8 hours ago, Ham said:

Good choice.  Evanston and Ames are two of my favorite places!  I'll be in both this week.  You don't want to go to Lincoln!

Per that presser, Brimage only has a sprained MCL and is expected to be out 3-4 weeks. TB said he was somewhere between 2-3rd team, however. I never heard TB be that open about an injury before.

Council got moved to RT which is interesting. Must not have been happy with Bullard there, which is not a big surprise. Hunter Corne is now the starting LG (took Councils spot). I didn't hear anything about Trevor Brown. Hopefully that means he is fine.

Van Edwards apparently clear #1. Sands #2. Floyd and Alce been battling injuries all camp.

Edited by LZIp