Game 1—@Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dr Z

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

You're right, Nebraska fans can still think this hire magically turns them into the Big Red of before. Zipmeister, you're one of my favorite posters here but I'm not sure what makes you think they're anything special. They went 4-8 last year, lost to NIU and added the 23rd recruiting class in the country. Certainly beatable, and most likely nowhere near being a B1G contender. Time will tell either way

Having obtained degrees from both schools, I follow both progrums fairly closely (and certainly follow the Huskers more closely than anyone else on this board).  They may not be special this year, but they will be soon.  They are dramatically improved and good enough now to beat the Zips going away.  When Morgan State beats the Zips this week, I'll finally concede that the Zips could have beaten the Huskers.

Go Zips

34 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Let's hope Nebraska finds a way to stumble to 5-6 needing this game and we agree to do it as the last game of the year so we can reach win #9, and a first victory over a Big-10 team.

Go Zips.

Even if we only consider modern times, I'm looking forward optimistically to our trip to Evanston.  Go ahead Zipmonster, give it a chuckle.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be shocked if Nebraska is really good soon, but they're starting a true freshman QB, just lost a QB to the NFL, and are coming off a 4-8 season. Meister acting like they're world beaters all the sudden definitely shows he's drinking the red kool aid. This isn't an Oklahoma or Penn State caliber program right now. This was a winnable Pitt-esque level of game and I'm disappointed it isn't happening.

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Nebraska is really good soon, but they're starting a true freshman QB, just lost a QB to the NFL, and are coming off a 4-8 season. Meister acting like they're world beaters all the sudden definitely shows he's drinking the red kool aid. This isn't an Oklahoma or Penn State caliber program right now. This was a winnable Pitt-esque level of game and I'm disappointed it isn't happening.

The QB the Huskers, Tanner Lee, "lost" to the NFL was cut last week.  That is a shame given his performance in college. He would have had the highest completion rate in college football last year (as well as career completion percentage at Tulane and NE) if they just would count completions to the other team in that stat.  The odds are extremely high that the Huskers freshman QB is a significant upgrade from Tanner.

I'm not stupid.  It would have been an upset if we had beaten NU.  It will be an even bigger upset if we beat the next NU in Evanston.  I guess I just have a player's mentality.  If you go into a game expecting to loose, you should just stay home.  Win or loose, ones only focus is only on next week.  you need to look back in January.

9 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

I like it. Liberty would like the money and I think the Zips would enjoy seeing Las Cruces and it would improve our chances of another bowl.

More scenarios:

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/9/2/17811566/how-nebraska-huskers-can-play-12-games-with-cancellation-wyoming-iowa-state-possibly

Edited by ZippyRulz

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

I like it. Liberty would like the money and I think the Zips would enjoy seeing Las Cruces and it would improve our chances of another bowl.

More scenarios:

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/9/2/17811566/how-nebraska-huskers-can-play-12-games-with-cancellation-wyoming-iowa-state-possibly

I still think it's a great idea, but all 4 teams have to agree, and my guess is Nebraska won't want to lose their open date the week before the Ohio State game (there is ,however, the smallest possibility that my guess may be incorrect).

George Thomas posted his latest article about the cancellation at 9:49 p.m. last night.  There were 7-8 misspellings/grammatical errors.  It looks like an editor made several corrections at 10:30 last night and then several more at 8:30 this morning.  But the lede remains unchanged: 

"A combination of weather and logistics combined forced postponement of the University of Akron’s season opener against Nebraska on Saturday night in Lincoln, Neb."

I get that George doesn't know better, but they must have 1-2 decent copy editors still on staff, right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

George Thomas posted his latest article about the cancellation at 9:49 p.m. last night.  There were 7-8 misspellings/grammatical errors.  It looks like an editor made several corrections at 10:30 last night and then several more at 8:30 this morning.  But the lede remains unchanged: 

"A combination of weather and logistics combined forced postponement of the University of Akron’s season opener against Nebraska on Saturday night in Lincoln, Neb."

I get that George doesn't know better, but they must have 1-2 decent copy editors still on staff, right? 

not to mention - as of right now - its technically cancelled and not postponed.

1.) We may not be able to schedule an additional game.

2. We were scheduled to play them last week and infact we did begin play.

3. The contract makes no provision for lightning. No emergency was declared.

4.  Nebreaska believes we opted not to play. That is not true. We opted to play on the agreed upon date, not on another date.

I think our case is sound....and oh, wait, our head coach also has a law degree.

I think we should come to mutual terms. We flew out, suited up, and kicked off. We met our end of the bargain. That kick off changes the whole discussion.