Jump to content

Game 1—@Nebraska Cornhuskers


Dr Z
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

I feel like I'm missing something with this post.

 

Jonah Morris listed as a starter over MTB is surprising considering we haven't heard much about him since he's been here and likely good considering MTB was a solid WR before. Also a little surprised to see Ward listed as a starter over Brady. Figured Reinke moving to TE would have cleared the way for Brady.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I feel like I'm missing something with this post.

 

Notes from scrimmage

 

I'd mentioned Brandon Mitchell previously. 6' 6" 220 lb wide out that got a lot of PT on Saturday. He originally tried out for the football team 4 years ago. He had difficulty catching the ball, so he opted to join Dennis Mitchell's track team. Per NCAA rules, if you play 4 years of a given sport, starting as a true freshman, you can play a different sport in your 5th year. So Brandon decided to give football another try. The staff told him "If you want to play football, come out every day and catch 70 - 100 balls." Brandon put in the work, and here he is. He showed the results of his efforts in a nice 15 yard catch courtesy of walk-on TJ Deshields. He also had a nice climb-the-ladder catch in the corner of the end zone that was ruled incomplete. I'm convinced replay would have overruled it. But how nice will it be for the Zips to have a 6' 6" wide out, with hops, in the red zone?! He'll be a fun one to watch in scrimmage #2.

 

I was at this scrimmage, I thought he looked good. Maybe left off the depth chart, but a red zone option. Maybe decided it wasn't for him again. Brandon Mitchell ???

 

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

... little surprised to see Ward listed as a starter over Brady.

I would guess Brady sees as many snaps as Ward. I'm not basing this on anything more than you know about the situation though. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ABJ/George Thomas: Sophomore quarterback Kato Nelson feeling more confident heading into first season as clear starter

 

I've got to be honest that Kato still doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence.  Wish I had the same feeling with Kato I used to have with Woody under center.  

 

I'm also less than thrilled with Van Edwards being listed as #1 RB on the depth chart.  He has a tendency to trip over his own feet.  

 

Unless these two make a real jump this season, the offense will put us to sleep again.  :/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Unless these two make a real jump this season, the offense will put us to sleep again.  :/

 

And if you fall asleep during the game, you will still be more coherent than most Fusker fans!  :rofl:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wish I had the same feeling with Kato I used to have with Woody under center.  I'm also less than thrilled with Van Edwards being listed as #1 RB on the depth chart.  He has a tendency to trip over his own feet.

Both are valid points, but from what I saw in the summer, both players looked better than last year. Kato is throwing the ball with more confidence, and Van is hitting holes hard. He looked like a different back to me, maybe the o-line has something to do with that as well. Let's hope what I think I saw translates to Saturday. If coach Bowden's history with the Zips is any kind of indicator, those two will not be the only two that play at their respected positions on Saturday. Go Zips!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ/George Thomas: Sophomore quarterback Kato Nelson feeling more confident heading into first season as clear starter

 

I've got to be honest that Kato still doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence.  Wish I had the same feeling with Kato I used to have with Woody under center.  

 

I'm also less than thrilled with Van Edwards being listed as #1 RB on the depth chart.  He has a tendency to trip over his own feet.  

 

Unless these two make a real jump this season, the offense will put us to sleep again.  :/

Me as well. I don't get a good feeling when reading "kind of" and "I guess" in the article. It is subtle, but lacking in confidence. I hope I am wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ/George Thomas: Sophomore quarterback Kato Nelson feeling more confident heading into first season as clear starter

 

I've got to be honest that Kato still doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence.  Wish I had the same feeling with Kato I used to have with Woody under center.  

 

I'm also less than thrilled with Van Edwards being listed as #1 RB on the depth chart.  He has a tendency to trip over his own feet.  

 

Unless these two make a real jump this season, the offense will put us to sleep again.  :/

100% agree.

 

22 hours ago, LZIp said:

I feel like I'm missing something with this post.

 

Jonah Morris listed as a starter over MTB is surprising considering we haven't heard much about him since he's been here and likely good considering MTB was a solid WR before. Also a little surprised to see Ward listed as a starter over Brady. Figured Reinke moving to TE would have cleared the way for Brady.

What is on the depth chart often does not match up with reality 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Name:Jerry Fitschen 

Player Ranking:

Class Rank:54 

Grad Year:2016 

State:CA 

Country:United States 

College:Akron 

Pro Team:

Height:6-0 

Weight:185 

SAT/ACT:

GPA:

Student Since:2014 

Last Evaluation:1-16 

 

Player Review

Jerry is an outstanding kicking prospect. The lefty has a huge leg and shows outstanding potential. He has perhaps the strongest leg in the nation. Field goals are solid off the ground. Kickoffs are near the top of his class. Also shows punting potential, this is becoming a strength. A great athlete with huge upside. A fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. I see him most a a KO/P at the next level. Excellent prospect. 

College Interest

Committed: Akron

Additional Information

Major Accomplishments:
Member of the "TOP 12"
2014 Underclassmen Event Class of 2016 Kickoff Champion
2016 Vegas XXVII Punt Finalist

Other Notes:
Combo Player K/P 

Edited by monrowe
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, monrowe said:

Name:Jerry Fitschen 

Player Ranking:

Class Rank:54 

Grad Year:2016 

State:CA 

Country:United States 

College:Akron 

Pro Team:

Height:6-0 

Weight:185 

SAT/ACT:

GPA:

Student Since:2014 

Last Evaluation:1-16 

 

Player Review

Jerry is an outstanding kicking prospect. The lefty has a huge leg and shows outstanding potential. He has perhaps the strongest leg in the nation. Field goals are solid off the ground. Kickoffs are near the top of his class. Also shows punting potential, this is becoming a strength. A great athlete with huge upside. A fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. I see him most a a KO/P at the next level. Excellent prospect. 

College Interest

Committed: Akron

Additional Information

Major Accomplishments:
Member of the "TOP 12"
2014 Underclassmen Event Class of 2016 Kickoff Champion
2016 Vegas XXVII Punt Finalist

Other Notes:
Combo Player K/P 

Played H.S. ball for Jim Kunau at Orange Lutheren in Orange, CA. Kunau is now coaching my son at Temecula, CA  Rancho Christian. I asked him about Fitschen and he said that the kid not only has talent, but is of high character as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Fitchen kicks off and O'Leary kicks PAT's and FGs.

Because O’Leary’s been so solid on FG’s and PAT’s?

 

I’m all for trying a new kicker-period. I only saw O’Leary at scrimmage #1, and he was 1-4 under game conditions. Combined with last season’s results, That was enough for me.

 

We can’t drive the length of the field against Nebraska and shank a 20 yard FG to begin the game. I’ve seen it too many times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Because O’Leary’s been so solid on FG’s and PAT’s?

 

I’m all for trying a new kicker-period. I only saw O’Leary at scrimmage #1, and he was 1-4 under game conditions. Combined with last season’s results, That was enough for me.

 

We can’t drive the length of the field against Nebraska and shank a 20 yard FG to begin the game. I’ve seen it too many times.

I think O'Leary should have been cut, honestly. But, I doubt Fitschen will be much better on FGs, unfortunately. Gasser may be kicking by game 3. Fitschen has the best leg for kick offs, from what I understand. He spent last year injured, from what I remmeber. Also, being ranked only #54 for Chris Sailer is not that impressive. #54 for Kohls would be more respectable. I am not saying he will be bad or horrible, but he was available, late, the summer he graduated and if he would have been a better prospect, he would not have been. I hope he is much better than I expect, because the FGs and kick offs have been horrible.

Edited by zipsoutsider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Captain Kangaroo changed the title to Game 1—@Nebraska Chttp://zipsnation.org/forums/topic/38000-game-1—nebraska-cornhuskers/ornhuskers
  • Captain Kangaroo changed the title to Game 1—@Nebraska Cornhuskers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...