Game 1—@Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dr Z

The South Dakota State- Iowa State game was also cancelled. Iowa State is looking to schedule a game for their bye week to still play 12 games. Granted they were playing a FCS school from the middle of the country so they are looking for FCS teams to play that also had cancellations last night and a bye week that matches theirs, but is there any chance the Zips now try to fill the bye week?

Edited by GJGood

I'm pissed. I DVR'd the game, stayed off the web all night, woke up this morning at 7:30 stoked to watch us play on primetime national TV against a blue blood program we had a chance to beat and I see this bullshit.

Screw Nebraska and their shitty weather!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JZip23 said:

Wondering why they kicked off? What would be different if they never started the game?

They kicked off because the lightning hadn’t started close enough to the stadium at that point. There may have been some fudging in this to meet certain requirements (ticket sales, tv contracts, etc.) but the lightning started right after the kickoff and the refs immediately signaled the teams to retreat into the locker rooms. It was a great pregame and the energy was through the roof. Wish we could have played the game. Our Zips looked ready to rock!! Alas, we’re on to Morgan State. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GJGood said:

The South Dakota State- Iowa State game was also cancelled. Iowa State is looking to schedule a game for their bye week to still play 12 games. Granted they were playing a FCS school from the middle of the country so they are looking for FCS teams to play that also had cancellations last night and a bye week that matches theirs, but is there any chance the Zips now try to fill the bye week?

Partial bye week schedule (a complete one is hard to find):

Week 5 (Sept. 29): Wisconsin, San Diego State, Iowa, South Florida, Houston

If there are more storms next weekend, who knows?

https://247sports.com/Article/Schedule-of-bye-weeks-for-college-footballs-top-2018-contenders-120880121/

Edited by ZippyRulz

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

I'm pissed. I DVR'd the game, stayed off the web all night, woke up this morning at 7:30 stoked to watch us play on primetime national TV against a blue blood program we had a chance to beat and I see this bullshit.

Screw Nebraska and their shitty weather!

Anyone who resides in NE Ohio should NEVER disparage the weather any where else. 

I am so deflated about last night. 

National television prime time under the lights against a Big Ten team for the world to see and this happens. 

I feel for the kids and staff and FU to anyone looking down hating on anyone who are positive about this Zips team believing they could win last night. 

I was one of them who believed and its YOU people who have that negative perception never giving the Zips a chance against Power 5 teams that hold us back. 

I watched Appalachian State run with Penn State who were favored by 24 take them to OT and Maryland without a Head Coach, Athletic Director and President upset Texas.

Anything is possible. Sorry for the rant but I just hate to see negative comments when I come in here. 

2hs93eu.png

Edited by dre22era
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CDMac said:

Au contraire. I was expecting the Zips to win. Maybe you are correct though; I may be in the minority. 

I thought we had a reasonable chance. A team that was pretty bad last year with a new coaching staff, new system for the returning players, I heard quite a few "experts" say we would at least cover if not win.

Edited by Spin

27 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Does anyone know where we can go to see/hear TB's pre-game speech? I did not catch it and I've heard so many good things about it. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Doubt it exists unless someone has it DVRd to a format that they can upload video. 

Best coverage Akron has had against a P5 team. They usually ignore us and spend the whole time talking about the opponent.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/sunday-restart-was-discussed-before-husker-opener-was-scuttled-indefinitely/article_2bf62c34-04e0-513c-975e-59c7a2fd6b5b.html.  We may not get the $$.  What a cluster.  I wonder if Nebraska is saying they could have played in Sunday I'm order to stop them from paying us.

Edited by NWAkron

54 minutes ago, Zipmlady said:

Our team was ready...we’ll never know for sure the outcome had they played; but they believed they could win.  They came onto the field with a confidence and bounce that made me proud to be in blue; when everything around us was red. 

Exactly. For those that were not there, just know that your team was ready to rumble. We might have lost but they were going to know they were in a fight!

• Like 2

I was hedging about making the trip to Lincoln ($95 to sit 50 rows up in the corner of the endzone).  By Friday I was able to get seats right on the 50 yd line tucked under the upper deck.  They made us move to the concourse right before the horizontal rain came. That was our first trip to Lincoln for a game.  In spite of the disappointment of the cancelation, we are still smiling.  I knew their stadium was down town and wondered how the tailgating would work.  It seemed like any where there was a few square feet, someone had set up a canopy.  We were cordially greeted by many fans and welcomed at tailgates.  It was amazing watching 85,000 fans going into a frenzy for pregame.  I only wish we could have seen what would happen if something truly exciting happened!  I only hope that we find our way back on Big Red's schedule even though Frost could have them rolling by then.

They did not, yet, have accommodations, and it was after 10:00 PM. It was unlikely that the boys would have had the night of sleep that you want before playing the game on Sunday and the forecast was notninxredivly promising for Sunday. Williams made the right call.

If there were no alternate arrangements for inclement weather in the contract, they will have to pay. We may, as a courtesy, agree to reach a partial payment agreement. 

Having gone through this scenario last year, I am confident that Williams and Bowden knew what needed to be in place for it to be a go 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

That's one good thing about the cancellation; it allows some to continue their fantasies.

You're right, Nebraska fans can still think this hire magically turns them into the Big Red of before. Zipmeister, you're one of my favorite posters here but I'm not sure what makes you think they're anything special. They went 4-8 last year, lost to NIU and added the 23rd recruiting class in the country. Certainly beatable, and most likely nowhere near being a B1G contender. Time will tell either way

• Like 2

Larry William's has released a statement:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/akron-ad-addresses-why-zips-could-not-play-sunday-suggests/article_11e944fa-3ff3-5556-bf97-6f93aa75cfc8.amp.html

In short, they would have had to split everyone up and the weather looked questionable on Sunday. If either teams needs a win for a bowl berth they will consider rescheduling week 14.

It is disappointing, yes, but Nebraska fans need to get a grip. If they were, actually stupid enough to not addressnunforseen circumstances in the contract with us, they deserve to lose the money, if we in fact get paid.

• Like 1