Game 4—@Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

You are cordially invited to our tailgate in Ames before your game with Iowa State.  We tailgate in the RV lot, so we will be set up on Friday.  More details to come.  

• Thanks 1

Here are a few podcasts about our upcoming season.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Jay-Pod-4-17-18_mixdown.mp3.  Heavy-duty stuff that coach-types will love.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/CFTV-Live-4-17-18_mixdown.mp3. From a former player (who scored the winning TD in our game with #2 Oklahoma State in 2011).  

Edited by Cykron
  • Like 2

• Dr Z changed the title to Game 4—@Iowa State Cyclones

I don't think this can be taken too seriously, but it is certainly interesting to us in Ames.  Believe it or not, Iowa State is #22!  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/05/01/re-ranking-college-football-top-25-after-spring-practice/568834002/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a set of podcasts related to Iowa State published by Cyclone Fanatic.  I want to draw your attention to the fourth one on the list.  It is long, personal, casual, and almost silly at times (which is the charm of our Friday-After-Work FAWcasts).  You might be especially interested to hear him talk about leaving Toledo.  Our AD played it perfectly.  

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cyclone-fanatic/id396542314?mt=2

Also, the second one on the list is a fascinating discussion of the people that Iowa State fans love to hate, including some fine hatred for Aaron Craft.  

Edited by Cykron

We have extra season tickets this year.  I refer to them as the "best cheap seats" in the stadium.  I'll sell them under market value to ZN fans.  Let me know if you are interested.  

• 1 month later...

Recently heard from a Zips fan who is coming to the game and asked about local info, so I thought I would share it here.

1.  Ames hotels will have game-day price-gouging.  However, hotels within an hour (Ankeny, Des Moines, Story City, Boone, Newton, etc.) will be more normal in price.  If you want Ames hotels, the Radisson and Best Western are walkable south of the stadium.  GrandStay Suites is on 16th near Duff and is walkable, but longer.  Most of the other hotels in Ames are on the southeast corner (near the I-35/US-30 interchange), northeast (on 13th Street near the I-35 interchange), or southwest (Hilton Garden Inn), but none of these are within walking distance of the stadium.

2.  If you want a college town experience, stay in Ames and take Uber around town.  If you want a more "urban" experience (at least as much as you can get in Iowa), stay downtown Des Moines (not West Des Moines which is suburban).  If you just want a not-so-far hotel, stay in the Des Moines metro (Ankeny, West Des Moines, Altoona). 

3.  On Gameday, if you intend to tailgate on your own, there is plenty of public parking (free on city streets, $20 in lots near the stadium) which will be fine unless it rains and they close grass lots.  I would recommend the paved and grass lots around Hilton Coliseum (our basketball arena) or the G-4 and G-5 grass lots southeast of campus.  Avoid G-2 and G-3 unless you want to tailgate with drunk undergraduates.  Tailgating is a big, big deal for us.  A few years ago, we were quantified as the most loyal fan base (attendance over 3 years divided by wins) and it was largely because of the tailgating.  We start on Friday morning when the RV lots open.  Gameday lots open 6 hours before kickoff (and there will be a line) or 7am if you have a parking pass from a season ticket holder.

4.  I would recommend that you park near Hilton and walk to our tailgate.  We will probably be serving 150+ anyway.  Some of you saw what we did in Lot 4 in Akron.  It is that and much more in Ames.  My hope is to be an Akron-safe-zone (as my wife is from Akron) with lots of you joining us.  I'll give more info to anyone who wants to know the specifics of our location.  

5.  The campus is really nice.  The athletic facilities are southeast of campus.  I would encourage you to walk through Central Campus if you like that sort of thing.  Lots of cool history too, such as George Washington Carver was a student and faculty.  

Let me know if you have any questions or need anymore local info.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.png

And this shows no grass lot parking (which doubles what you see), no parking around Hilton (BB), and no street parking.  I recommend parking in the area at the very bottom of this photo (there is even more below the cutoff of the photo).  

On 7/14/2018 at 3:44 PM, ZippyRulz said:

A lot of the posters on here are accustomed to parking about 50 feet from the south end zone...can that be arranged?

$ure, there are way$ to make thi$ happen!  

In the photo and map above, you will see three sections just south of the stadium (the map  has north at the top and the photo has south at the top, sorry about that).  However, the S-3 lot has been replaced by a Reiman Gardens "transition" between the Reiman Gardens to the south of the stadium (Reimans gave the first $25 mil for the new south endzone), so spots immediately south of the stadium are even harder to get.  

Essentially, if you want to be close, then you want any S-lot, 85W, 85E, or A-4, B-6, C-6, D-4 (the lots just across the street north of the stadium).  As the Akron game is probably not the highest priority for some of our fans (unlike me), there will be parking passes for sale.  You can find them on our CycloneFanatic.com site (there is a Ticket Exchange forum).  Or I can put you in touch with the local guy who always has the best tickets (no, I'm not him, but I see him at every game).  

Parking passes are sold to season ticket holding donors, but given as individual rearview mirror hangers for each game (with the opponent's logo on it).  This makes it possible to sell them for individual games.  

$50 would be a bargain for a good parking pass.  I know of someone who sold a great S-lot parking pass last year for $250 for our first game.  Expect to pay at least $100.  If you are willing to park in the grass east of the stadium (G-7), you can probably get one for $50.  

Thanks for posting the information on Ames and Iowa State game day. I am going to the game and will use this to help with planning. I am going to try and stay in Ames and walk around the tailgate lots. 

Edited by JZip23
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JZip23 said:

Thanks for posting the information on Ames and Iowa State game day. I am going to the game and will use this to help with planning. I am going to try and stay in Ames and walk around the tailgate lots. 

I sent you a message with the location of our tailgate.  Hope you have a great time in Ames . . . but not too great during the game!

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Prayers with Iowa,  sounds like they got hit pretty hard in some areas 

Drove from Sioux Falls through Cedar Rapids and into Illinois earlier this week. I believe my route was about 20 minutes from the area hit by the tornadoes. Beautiful farmland.

West Des Moines is a good area with lots of food and lodging choices, all right off of the Interstate. It's a do-able day drive from CLE without being exhausted.

Yeah, it is pretty crazy.  Here is a little video that shows a tornado forming (look between the houses) in this video taken by the publisher of our cyclonefanatic.com site.  

https://twitter.com/ChrisMWilliams?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

In the lore of Iowa State sports is the "tornado game" against Colorado.  They evacuated the stadium before the game.  Here is a video of a tornado going right over our central campus.  That was a freaky day.  A tornado passed about 1/4 mile west of our house, jumped over the house of a friend a mile north of us, and destroyed the house next door to them.  

http://www.espn.in/college-football/news/story?id=2222298

Here is an entire thread with videos and comments about the tornadoes.  

cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/weather-7-19-18

Edited by Cykron

• 2 weeks later...

Still have a few of the "best cheap seats" in the stadium available.  Single game tickets from the Ticket Office are $60, $45, or $30.  I've got tickets I would sell for $30 that are much better than anything you can get from the Ticket Office at that price.  And if you don't buy them, you know what will happen, they will just get taken by Cyclone fans!  

We had an interesting event in Ames last week.  20,000+ bicyclists stayed overnight in town.  It is part of RAGBRAI, and annual bike ride (party) across Iowa.  70 miles per day with lots of eating and drinking along the way.  It is a protected route with 7 overnight towns (start by dipping your back tire in the Missouri River on Sunday and end by dipping your front tire in the Mississippi River on Saturday).  At any rate, Ames was one of the towns this year and added something special.  When riders came into town, they could take a Cyclone Loop around the football field.  They've never had anything like this in the past.  It was really cool.

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2018/07/26/overheadragbrai

The last time that RAGBRAI used Ames as an overnight town, we had a team of 20+ riders from the Akron area who stayed at our house.  

• Like 1

Iowa State fans are worked up into a lather because they think tOSU may poach our coach.  I'm hearing lots of talk in Iowa and in national media, but not from Ohio sources.  What are you hearing?  My sense is that it would be a long shot because Campbell hasn't yet done nearly enough to be in the running.  

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

Iowa State fans are worked up into a lather because they think tOSU may poach our coach.  I'm hearing lots of talk in Iowa and in national media, but not from Ohio sources.  What are you hearing?  My sense is that it would be a long shot because Campbell hasn't yet done nearly enough to be in the running.  

If Urban is gone, go get Bob Stoops out of retirement, strong Ohio ties

6 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

If Urban is gone, go get Bob Stoops out of retirement, strong Ohio ties

So is Campbell even on the list from your perspective?  

15 hours ago, Cykron said:

It wouldn't be this year. MC has done a lot already, ask Oklahoma. If he has a winning season in 2018 he will definitely be a candidate and ISU fans should be nervous. My sense is he wouldn't jump quickly from ISU for just any other P5 job but for Tosu he probably would.