Game 4—@Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

Do you guys have an official depth chart?  All I can find on the website is a roster.  I don't want to rely on the Ourlads depth chart.  

Here is a link to ours (which hasn't yet been updated since the Oklahoma game).  https://cyclones.com/documents/2018/7/16/18depth.pdf

5 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Do you guys have an official depth chart?  All I can find on the website is a roster.  I don't want to rely on the Ourlads depth chart.  

Here is a link to ours (which hasn't yet been updated since the Oklahoma game).  https://cyclones.com/documents/2018/7/16/18depth.pdf

Depth chart for Northwestern game is in the game notes. ISU should be released tomorrow or Weds, but should be few, if any changes.

https://gozips.com/documents/2018/9/10//3_GameNotes_Northwestern_091518.pdf?id=13159

We could fall flat on our faces Sat, but I would do what ever I could to be in Ames Sat.  This could be the start of a very special season.  I'm thinking about what a little bit of success has done to my attitude, and can imagine what the team is feeling.  We will see if the coaches and team leaders can channel the energy to play smart and disciplined Sat.

Cykron has invited everyone to their tailgate.  If you want to hang with a little bit younger crowd come to lot G7{grass lot, E of stadium, across the road}.   You will find a few Zips and some of the "Wide Right Nati Light" crowd.  Think Rubber Bowl X 100!

Just watched the ISU/OU game this evening. This is gonna be tough. ISU crowd > Northwestern. ISU WRs > Northwestern. Montgomery > Larkin. Back up QB is solid as well. Doesn't seem to be much difference between him and the starter if you ask me. We can't afford a first half like last week if we want a chance. Going to need some help in ST/defense as well. Hopefully we can catch them looking ahead!

30 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Just watched the ISU/OU game this evening. This is gonna be tough. ISU crowd > Northwestern. ISU WRs > Northwestern. Montgomery > Larkin. Back up QB is solid as well. Doesn't seem to be much difference between him and the starter if you ask me. We can't afford a first half like last week if we want a chance. Going to need some help in ST/defense as well. Hopefully we can catch them looking ahead!

I think you have this one right on, but don't count on them looking past us.  Without the 3 TO's, if we play 4 quarters like the second 1/2 ,  look out.  We will hang with most.  I really think Sat is a toss up, but I also feel like lack of experience at their QB will make a difference.  He is not that green, but I think TO's will make a difference again.  We will fly the flag for the second week, and get a few votes in the polls!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

We could fall flat on our faces Sat, but I would do what ever I could to be in Ames Sat.  This could be the start of a very special season.  I'm thinking about what a little bit of success has done to my attitude, and can imagine what the team is feeling.  We will see if the coaches and team leaders can channel the energy to play smart and disciplined Sat.

Cykron has invited everyone to their tailgate.  If you want to hang with a little bit younger crowd come to lot G7{grass lot, E of stadium, across the road}.   You will find a few Zips and some of the "Wide Right Nati Light" crowd.  Think Rubber Bowl X 100!

The G7 lot is a grass lot for the poor people who don't donate enough to be on pavement!  

Seriously, G7 is a great lot with a wonderful view of the east side of the stadium.  And it is easy access by walking across the intramural field.   No snootiness in G-7.  Just diehard Iowa State football fans.  However, the big sales pitch for G7 is the Wide Right and Natty Light guys.  They are terrific and get more clever as they drink.  

Yet, nobody serves better food than us.  We are planning to serve a few hundred breakfast burritos cooked on a discada (think Mexican wok) before your eyes.  The cooking itself is a spectacular display.  

You will find us on the grass just east of the D-1 RV lot.  We will probably be there after the game too.  

Now we are getting the discussions started in the cyclonefanatic.com forums:

"Cyclones Open As 19 Point Favorites Over Akron."  Most of us think it is too high.

"Depth Chart Vs Akron."

And the always popular "***Official Zips Look-A-Like Thread***"

Here is the headline and lead to the article in the Des Moines Register this morning written by the Iowa State beat reporter:

Cyclones a 3-TD fave over Akron? Say what?

AMES, Ia. — Stuff I still wonder after a couple Iowa State games in which the Cyclones played mostly well, yet are 0-2 entering a Saturday engagement in which they’re favored against an Akron team that’s coming off an historic road victory against a Big Ten opponent ...

Why is Iowa State a three-touchdown favorite? I did a double-take when looking at the Las Vegas Odds Monday morning, too. Cyclones over Terry Bowden’s Akron team by 18 1⁄ 2 points?  That incomprehensible betting line is — again, incomprehensible. The Zips trailed by 18 points at half against Northwestern in Evanston, Ill., which isn’t exactly a place where opponents fear playing. They won 39-34 for their first success against a Big Ten team since 1987. Akron’s only other victory against a team now in the Big Ten was against Ohio State in 1894.  So, in other words, a while ago.  “ The cards are stacked against Mid-American Conference schools,” Bowden said on the MAC teleconference Monday morning, primarily referring to bigger football budgets.  “You have to make your kids believe they can win — and then you’re down 21-3, and you want them to go out there and still believe.”  They believed — and about that betting line?  It’ll change by week’s end.

Randy Peterson

Columnist Des Moines Register USA TODAY NETWORK

Surprisingly level-headed.  

1 hour ago, zip81 said:

Nice little article about 5 things to know.  Is that stuff right out of your media guide?  It was published in the Cedar Rapids Gazette (or as we call it the Crapids Gazette because of their emphasis on the Hokeyes, but they are getting better).  I wonder if the author even knows that we played last year. 

The injured linebacker (McMillan) played about 1/3 of the time so far this season.  Mike Rose (true freshman from Brecksville) won the starting job (beating out McMillan and an Iowa redshirt freshman named O'Rien Vance who I don't think has even played yet this year).   It is really too bad as McMillan has waited his turn and seemed to be coming into his own this year.  

The big question is how did you (and every other school) let Mike Rose slip through your fingers?  He has been nothing short of great in his first 2 -1/8 games.  

It is raining today and there is some possibility of rain in the forecast.  However, our natural grass field will be in great shape.  We have played games after torrential storms and the field barely looks torn up at all afterwards.  It was built far below grade in a flood plain, but has an incredibly well-engineered drainage system and the grounds crew are notoriously protective of the field.  

For those of you still trying to decide where to tailgate, take note that Coldwater Golf Course is adjacent to the G-7 grass lot!  

Here is a local news report:  https://www.kcci.com/article/victim-identified-man-charged-in-golf-course-death/23294360

For more unofficial info and discussion, check out the Cyclonefanatic.com thread:  "Death Investigation Underway At Coldwater Golf Course." 

It is really terrible.  

17 hours ago, LZIp said:

I agree, not the same matchup as last week, at all. ISU seems far more physical than NU.

I think on offense we have opportunities, although the run game is going to be tough. Also, Kato might be forced to make decisions a little quicker. We will really see if the O line is any good this week. They were very good last week, but NU was not very impressive on D up front. The ISU secondary played fairly soft, so there may be opportunities for us in hooks and other mid yardage routes. I also think we can beat them over the top. Their secondary dies nit seem to tackle well. I would like to see us get some guys in space. I think Edward's can break it if we dump him some short to medium yardage passes. 

On defense, it is largely limiting the damage their big bodies receiver can do. Their o line is not incredibly impressive so if we can put quick pressure on the QB, I think we can force mistakes. He got a way with a couple of dangerous plays against OSU. I am assuming they will ti take advantage of the size mismatch with their big receiver, as much as possible. 

I expect us to play for field position. The game gets tougher for Kato if he is buried and unless we unveil some of our bigger bodies backs this week, I think getting buried deep will be tough to climb out of.

I doubt we will catch ISU flat footed. They are hungry for a win, aware of what we did, and Campbell certainly knows what TB can do.

19 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I agree, not the same matchup as last week, at all. ISU seems far more physical than NU.

I think on offense we have opportunities, although the run game is going to be tough. Also, Kato might be forced to make decisions a little quicker. We will really see if the O line is any good this week. They were very good last week, but NU was not very impressive on D up front. The ISU secondary played fairly soft, so there may be opportunities for us in hooks and other mid yardage routes. I also think we can beat them over the top. Their secondary dies nit seem to tackle well. I would like to see us get some guys in space. I think Edward's can break it if we dump him some short to medium yardage passes. 

On defense, it is largely limiting the damage their big bodies receiver can do. Their o line is not incredibly impressive so if we can put quick pressure on the QB, I think we can force mistakes. He got a way with a couple of dangerous plays against OSU. I am assuming they will ti take advantage of the size mismatch with their big receiver, as much as possible. 

I expect us to play for field position. The game gets tougher for Kato if he is buried and unless we unveil some of our bigger bodies backs this week, I think getting buried deep will be tough to climb out of.

I doubt we will catch ISU flat footed. They are hungry for a win, aware of what we did, and Campbell certainly knows what TB can do.

Good analysis.  Sparked a few comments.  

1.  We have a solid and deep defensive line.  We do complete line changes during many series.  In the past, we have hardly had one guy to sub in confidently.  

2.  The DBs played soft against OU, but not the EIU Hokeyes the week before.  We had a lot of respect for the little, speedy OU receivers (and still one of them got behind us for a long pass).  I expect to see us do much more jamming at the line this week.  We were downright disrespectful to the EIU receivers.  I expect us to dare you to try to go over the top.  Our tackling hasn't been so good, but our coverage has been pretty good most of the time.

3.  Butler is tall at receiver, but also a beast.  He runs over guys or slips away from tackles in most games.  He has dragged would-be tacklers in the endzone.  Butler was raised with the Harrison twins who played MBB for Kentucky.  

4.  Jones (from Cincinnati) is not big and strong, but very elusive after contact.  He slips away from tackles about half the time he catches the ball.  

5.  The offensive line is still figuring things out.  We start a true freshman (Newell) at Center.  Last year's Center (Good-Jones) moved to Left Tackle.  If these guys give him a little help, Montgomery could be terrific.  

15 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

We catch Iowa State between Iowa, OU and TCU.. If there was ever time for a let down game, this is it. Unfortunately we just had to go win at NU last week, so we may have their attention ;)

And the fact that the majority of our football coaching staff is from Ohio!  

We are feeling pretty good for an 0-2 team.  I'm not hearing much chatter yet about TCU.  There is more buzz about letting the EIU and OU games get away, as well as replacing the cancelled game versus a top FCS school with Incarnate Word.  I suspect today our fans will really start honing in on our game with you.  We don't take the big point spread too seriously, mostly because we just aren't familiar with such a phenomenon.  We tend to have a "here comes the groin kick" mentality when things are looking too rosy for us (we could be great Browns fans).  I hear plenty of people talking about winning this game as essential for our bowl hopes given our tough schedule.  

Edited by Cykron

Here is a link to some thoughts from the publisher of CycloneFanatic.com.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2018/09/williams-isu-community-mourns-football-musings-following-encouraging-outing-vs-sooners/

Edited by Cykron

1 minute ago, Cykron said:

Yeah, I saw that, but nothing really grabbed my attention. I can see why we are underdogs, but we can compete.

Here is a podcast of Matt Campbell being interviewed by Chris Williams of CycloneFanatic.com.  Lots of respect given to Terry Bowden.   First part of the podcast is Campbell talking about yesterday's tragedy.  

https://cyclonefanatic.com/podcasts/podcast-matt-campbell-talks-tragedy-loss-to-ou-and-the-akron-zips/

Bowden talks a lot about Butler (never by name), our 6'6" receiver and focuses only on his height.  However, his big gains this year have come from Butler shedding, running over, and dragging tacklers.  He is a beast!  

Also, Deshante Jones (#8), from Cincinnati, had 9 receptions against Oklahoma.  

Great press conference.  Really enjoyed listening to him.  Impressed with Bowden.  He must come from good stock!   Lots of coaching perspective, but very little vacuous coach-speak.  Surprisingly open and honest ("I don't want to be the sixth coach to be fired.")  ("I don't want to throw anyone under the bus after such a great win, but our Center missed the snap signal several times.")  Loved hearing him talk about his "good group of guys," seniors graduating, and not having to worry about the guys who don't travel.  Clever of him to act like he doesn't know what the point spread is ("It will be 17, 14, . . .").  Since when is it a penalty for a linebacker to give a receiver a "souffle?"  I love a coach who is focused on football.