Game 4—@Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

Ironically, I'm going to Evanston (actually Skokie) on Thursday.  Hopefully, they have cleaned up the mess that you left there.  Look forward to seeing some of you back in Ames (or on I-88, 80, or 35 along the way).  My vanity plates say ISUPL8S.

17 hours ago, zippy5 said:

We catch Iowa State between Iowa, OU and TCU.. If there was ever time for a let down game, this is it. Unfortunately we just had to go win at NU last week, so we may have their attention ;)

... and unfortunately they did not win yet this season so there should be no level of overconfidence.

The way I see it the Zips are playing with house money at this point. Everybody and their mother said the Zips would be 1-3 before the start of MAC play and we currently sit in a 2-1 worst case scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

... and unfortunately they did not win yet this season so there should be no level of overconfidence.

The way I see it the Zips are playing with house money at this point. Everybody and their mother said the Zips would be 1-3 before the start of MAC play and we currently sit in a 2-1 worst case scenario.

This is how I feel. How many times have the Zips started 2-0? Never? At least not since I have been a fan.

Can't be disappointed in 2-1, but the Zips need to seize this moment. Just once I want to see us make a run like UCF, FAU, NIU, or even Toledo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

image.png

If you are going to the game, please be in your seat by 10:45am CT for the time of honoring Celia.  Interestingly, they were going to honor her this week anyway as the Iowa State athlete of the year for last year!  

• Like 1

Some interesting stats from GoZips.com heading into Ames:

"In the NCAA statistics, Akron is the national leader in red zone offense (1.000).  The Zips also rank No. 11 in rushing defense (81.0), No. 18 in turnover margin (1.00), No. 21 in redzone defense (0.667), and No. 32 in scoring offense (40.0).

Individually, junior CB Alvin Davis, Jr.(Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) is No. 1 in interceptions per game (1.5), No. 1 in total interceptions (3), and No. 11 in passes defended (2.0). Senior LB Brian Bell(Valdosta, Ga.) is No. 4 in passes defended (2.5).  Sophomore QB Kato Nelson is No. 13 in passing yards per completion (15.42) and No. 17 in yards per pass (9.43). Junior LB Josh Ward is No. 18 in sacks (1.00)."

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

"Iowa State receiver Hakeem Butler caught five passes for 174 yards and two touchdowns against No. 5 Oklahoma. Coach Bowden said if Oklahoma didn’t have a defensive back that could cover the 6-foot-6 Butler, he’s not sure his team does, either."

I hope the answer to this question continues to be an effective/creative pass rush. I thought they did a nice job last week. 

• Like 1

Weather should be ideal for the game. The trainers table on the field was busy in Evanston last week (by the way I swear I saw the Chest on our sideline at the NU game talking to injured players). I hope Jean-Baptiste is back. Three leg injuries and Bell was one of them, but he returned to play. Worried about a let down in Ames, but of course the coaches are on top of that. One thing in our favor is we played this team last year. Yes, they would seem to have the same advantage, but we have a new starting QB, developing receivers, and a senior laden defense that looked across the line of scrimmage at the Cyclones last year. Gildersleeve's conditioning and lifting program is paying dividends too.   

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Weather should be ideal for the game. The trainers table on the field was busy in Evanston last week (by the way I swear I saw the Chest on our sideline at the NU game talking to injured players). I hope Jean-Baptiste is back. Three leg injuries and Bell was one of them, but he returned to play. Worried about a let down in Ames, but of course the coaches are on top of that. One thing in our favor is we played this team last year. Yes, they would seem to have the same advantage, but we have a new starting QB, developing receivers, and a senior laden defense that looked across the line of scrimmage at the Cyclones last year. Gildersleeve's conditioning and lifting program is paying dividends too.   

Literally all of these things apply to us as well.

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Literally all of these things apply to us as well.

The way I see it is you have a backup starting at QB. You have about 3 seniors starting on defense. We have the benefit of a top notch strength and conditioning program over the last few year's which may have caught us up a bit to the Power 5 (we are considered Group of 5). Also, we have two new transfers to our receiving corps. One from receiver from WVU and one from Indiana. Literally - think again snipe.  

Edited by UA1987

Got a few minutes this afternoon to give some restaurant advice.  Already gave some to folks showing up today to watch the Browns game.  

I recommended Wallaby's to someone else on the site.  Both my son and I thought it was the best place for them to watch the Browns game on Thursday night.  It is probably our best sports bar.  Classy place.  Great artifacts on the walls.  Really good food.  Local owners.

Our most famous place in Hickory Park BBQ.  There is always a long line, but never as long a wait as you think.   The place is much bigger than it looks.  Great food and ice cream.  It will be packed with football fans.  Again, local owners.

Another place I'm hearing good things about is Jethro's BBQ (across the street from Hickory Park).  It is new and claims to be the largest sports bar in town.  Tons of TVs.  It is the Ames restaurant of a Des Moines chain.

A non-BBQ, non-sports place is Aunt Maude's.  One of our best restaurants.

Brick City Grill is also nice.  Reminds me of a neighborhood hangout in a nice urban neighborhood.

Bar La Tosca on Main Street is a great Italian restaurant.  Great bartenders.  

Two bar scenes.  One on Main Street will have more young professionals.  The other is Welch Avenue in Campustown will have mostly university students.  

Olde Main (downtown) is probably our best known brewery (with a full restaurant).  But Torrent Brewing (just off Main Street) and Alluvial (north of town) are better, but with no food.  

El Azteca is great Mexican food prepared by local owners.  Two locations (one near I-35/US30 and one on Stange just north of campus).  

Stomping Grounds is a great place for coffee, crepes, but also mid-day sandwiches.  

Classic, tiny old school diner is The Grove on Main Street.  May be open only for breakfast.  Probably packed on Saturday.

Tip Top Lounge.  A vintage place for chili and drinks to get your day started right.  Seriously, about the only time I hear about it is when someone wants to do some pre-tailgating!

West Side Pub (southwest corner of Ames) is operated by a huge Cyclone fan who even sponsors a break during each game.  "Say it with me, 'We Love the Cyclones!'"

Jeff's Pizza on Lincoln Way is the best in town.  Great, unique recipes.

Great Plains Pizza on Main Street is also good.  Make sure to put honey on your crust.

Our local Wing Stop franchise is owned by Seneca Wallace.  Browns fans know him.  If you don't know who he is, Google "Seneca Wallace and The Run."  

Let me know what you are looking for (or like from these recommendations) and I'll try to give you more info if needed.  

P.S.  I apologize to the local places that I forgot to mention.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Cykron said:

Listened to this again last night on the hotel treadmill.  Love the line about Terry Bowden being the kind of guy you would want to have a beer with!  I can't imagine what it would be like at a Bowden extended family gathering, but I would love to be there.  

Finally got back to Ames and got everything to our tailgate spot.  Let me be the first to wish you good luck . . . but just enough to feel good . . . not enough to win. 

Seriously, looking forward to a good game, no injuries, and great tailgating.  Hope to see some of you in the grass just east of the D-1 RV lot (just off the sidewalk on University Blvd.).  :wave: