Game 4—@Iowa State Cyclones

Cykron

I am not sure if anyone else noticed this during the game but Akron and Iowa State played with a great deal of sportsmanship.  Early in the game there was a late hit and penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct on Iowa State the coach immediately took the player off the field.  I cannot count how many times I saw Akron players helping Iowa State player off the ground after a tackle.  I am hopeful that all the talking, taunting and stupid late hit penalties are gone and this team just plays hard nosed football.  This team played with a great deal of maturity.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I am not sure if anyone else noticed this during the game but Akron and Iowa State played with a great deal of sportsmanship.  Early in the game there was a late hit and penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct on Iowa State the coach immediately took the player off the field.  I cannot count how many times I saw Akron players helping Iowa State player off the ground after a tackle.  I am hopeful that all the talking, taunting and stupid late hit penalties are gone and this team just plays hard nosed football.  This team played with a great deal of maturity.  

Iowa State seems like a school that is good to do "business" with. I mean look no further than how they handled their South Dakota State cancellation compared to Nebraska.

I think they probably think the same of us. I was out of town, so unable to watch the game but I am going to tonight. The place looked packed, which is impressive to me considering historically how bad they've been. @Cykron seems to rep them well.

• Thanks 1

One thing I've noticed is that there hasn't been much (any?) complaining about Milwee's play calling after the first three games.  I don't complain about play calling much, simply because that's above my pay grade.  But other, more knowledgeable posters have consistently been less-than-thrilled with some of the game's Milwee's called.  Do you guys see growth here?

We could have won the ISU game if Kato were a little more accurate with his passes (12-28 IIRC).  I thought (as far as I could tell) it was a well called offensive game & a handful of times we had receivers open & simply missed them.

Edwards at running back, I feel, is another impediment to the O's potential production.  I feel more qualified in sizing up running backs, and Van really doesn't do it for me.  I don't believe I've ever seen him make a guy miss or break a tackle.  Bowden can sometimes be loyal to a fault & I think we're seeing this Achilles heel again with his insistence on keeping Van #1.  

I used to think Bowden's loyal-to-a-fault thinking was what was keeping Milwee at OC, but maybe not...?

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

One thing I've noticed is that there hasn't been much (any?) complaining about Milwee's play calling after the first three games.  I don't complain about play calling much, simply because that's above my pay grade.  But other, more knowledgeable posters have consistently been less-than-thrilled with some of the game's Milwee's called.  Do you guys see growth here?

We could have won the ISU game if Kato were a little more accurate with his passes (12-28 IIRC).  I thought (as far as I could tell) it was a well called offensive game & a handful of times we had receivers open & simply missed them.

Edwards at running back, I feel, is another impediment to the O's potential production.  I feel more qualified in sizing up running backs, and Van really doesn't do it for me.  I don't believe I've ever seen him make a guy miss or break a tackle.  Bowden can sometimes be loyal to a fault & I think we're seeing this Achilles heel again with his insistence on keeping Van #1.  

I used to think Bowden's loyal-to-a-fault thinking was what was keeping Milwee at OC, but maybe not...?

Milwee isn't perfect, but I tend to lean towards him looking ineffective being due to the fact that we didn't having enough talent. I guess you could say he is partially responsible for that. I think this year and the year with Jojo/Lane were the years we had the best talent on offense. The offense in TB's first year here put up the best numbers, but I think that was more of a factor of Dalton Williams having 4-5 years of experience in the system. People like to say TB was calling the plays, but a friend who used to work for the team said Milwee was doing it then (and TB would signal them in and possibly override if necessary). I believe I've posted articles saying as much as well. We started 5-3 the year with Jojo/Lane, then finished the season with WR Tyrell Goodman taking snaps. Warren Ball couldn't even catch a break which hurts as well when you don't have depth. We seem to have talent with the starters and back ups at all 3 levels (QB, RB, WR) for the foreseeable future, so I think I'm less likely to cut him slack going forward if the offense becomes an issue.

I think you are spot on about Van. He is 'just a guy' on the football field. Seems to hold on to the ball, has decent speed, and hits the hole...but he just doesn't create anything or make anyone miss. I would prefer Sands be the main back, but he also has durability concerns, which may explain why he doesn't get more opportunity? I'm down for giving the best performing young RB a chance to prove himself.

Sidenote: I've yet to watch the ISU game. I feel like such a bad fan. Gotta get on that tonight!

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think Bowden is getting more involved in the offense again (saw his name listed as Co-OC). Still, the offense needs more development. Our starting running back needs to average =>3.5 yards a carry or get someone else in there. Nelson was under pressure at the ISU game (4 sacks) as he had 3rd and long yardage situations because we could not run the ball effectively. I do not think it is all the O-line - try to start a different running back!     

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I believe I posted previously in this thread (might have started and decided not to post in the end) that I disliked the all-or-nothing pass play calls. Against ISU, it seemed like we either went for the deep ball, or no pass at all. I would have liked to see more mid-range, over the middle/7-10 yd out routes to open the game up more. It was quite infuriating, actually, especially with Kato being largely inaccurate most of the day (minus the first couple of possessions). 

I think we can upgrade from Milwee, but I'm not going to rail on Milwee as much, at least not yet, this year. We beat Northwestern (although technically our defense beat Northwestern and our offense didn't lose the game). 

• Like 1

I thought I seen in the off season that we installed the FAU offense that was up paced & ran all over us using different kinds of WR screens?  I have said many times that is part of the running game in the spread.  Not picking on Newman but when we split him out it is a waste of a body on the field.  He has dropped both little screens they have ran to him & after watching 1 game film you realize he is not a threat, just a blocker, so if you never use short patterns or WR screens it makes covering the vertical routes we run every pass play a lot easier to cover, you have to use the entire field to make the defenses job more difficult 

• Like 1

B & G, I was one of the guys who last season felt Milwee was not up to calling a good game. I have said though on a previous post that his play calling is not holding the team back. It is not an issue with me. Last year it certainly was. I think he has grown and does an adequate job. Having better talent helps the situation. I hope Milwee continues to grow into the position. Regarding Van Edwards I concur that he is a reliable back who hits the hole hard, has good speed, doesn't fumble but has no top end breakaway speed and can't make a tackler miss. Until we have a better back I give the position to him. I like our young stable of backs, but they have to beat him out to earn the spot.

I've said this before, but want to say it again .... kudos to TB and staff for bringing in the talent we now have. It's great to have depth and ability. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I feel the same about Hakeem.

6. Cleveland Browns PICK: Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound Butler is proving to be one of the best mismatch receivers in college football. Not only does he win with his size, but he also does so with balance and strength, often running for many yards after the catch, which is why he’s averaging over 22.0 yards per catch for the season, with six touchdowns to boot. At his size, Butler’s style of dominance over cornerbacks, at times, reminds me of A.J. Green. I think Green was more explosive of an athlete laterally, but I do think their play styles are similar, and I believe their ability to win one-on-one matchups can come in a lot of the same ways. Butler has never had a 1,000-yard receiving season in college, but neither did Green. Both were underutilized, but when targeted, were difference makers consistently. For that, I think Butler’s a future No. 1 in the NFL, as long as he works to perfect what his craft can be.

Blows my mind how many people want Matt Campbell to be the next Browns coach. I'll admit I've always disliked him since his days at Toledo. Not many college coaches are successful in the NFL without any previous NFL experience. Can't imagine if guys like Spurrier and Saban couldn't do it, that a guy who is 15-17 and barely beat Akron this season would succeed in the NFL. But hey, the Browns have always been good at picking coaches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

Blows my mind how many people want Matt Campbell to be the next Browns coach. I'll admit I've always disliked him since his days at Toledo. Not many college coaches are successful in the NFL without any previous NFL experience. Can't imagine if guys like Spurrier and Saban couldn't do it, that a guy who is 15-17 and barely beat Akron this season would succeed in the NFL. But hey, the Browns have always been good at picking coaches. 

I thought when Toledo played Akron this season the Rockets played their best game of the season.

Edited by Zipmeister

On 10/30/2018 at 7:21 AM, akzipper said:

OK, then we will keep Campbell in Ames!  :rock:

Here is a little fact that is blowing our minds in Ames.  We have a 35% chance to be in the Big 12 Championship game!  A guy on our fan site did some analysis using thousands of simulations.  I don't think any Iowa State fan was alive the last time we won a Big 12 Championship!  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some of you might be interested in the saga of Iowa State's reaction to the cancelled game.  Like you, we had our first game cancelled.  Unlike Nebraska, we paid South Dakota State.  And as an FCS team, we had more options in finding a replacement.  Originally, we scheduled a game on Dec 1st with Incarnate Word (San Antonio) by buying them out of their game with North Alabama.  Of course, whenever a perennially poor team schedules us, they immediately become successful.  For a while it looked like we might be playing in the Big 12 championship game on Dec 1st (we lost to Texas and ended up 3rd).  And Incarnate Word was playing for their conference championship and an autobid to the FCS playoffs.  They lost, but still got an at-large bid, so if they won on Nov 24th, they would not be available to play us on Dec 1st.  They said if they lost on Nov 24th, they still wanted to play us on Dec 1st.  Our AD, never one to let bad luck take control, got out of the Incarnate Word contract last week and booked Drake, a non-scholarship FCS school in Des Moines.  The last time we played Drake was 1985 and lost to them in a rivalry "Victory Bell" game, but no one knows what happened to the victory bell. 

So, it appears that we had to work through 4 different contracts in order to play a team from just down the road . . . in the cold and snow . . . as a 42 point favorite . . . and enjoy an unprecedented 8th home tailgate!  

P.S.  We don't need the game to be bowl eligible, but Campbell wanted the game to give more players a chance to experience real playing conditions.