2020 Offers

On 6/26/2019 at 9:13 PM, Blue & Gold said:

As you can see in this link, VerbalCommits dot com just blew up with Akron offers.

Frank Jakubicek, 6-8, 220, PF, Cary-Grove HS, Cary, IL

Jeremiah Williams, 6-3, 165, PG, Saint Laurence HS, Burbank, IL

Isaiah Rivera, 6-5, 185, SF, Geneseo HS, Geneseo, IL

Cameron Young, 6-6, SF, Saints John Neumann and Maria Goretti HS, Woolwich, NJ

Darius Burford, 6-0, PG, Bolingbrook HS, Bolingbrook, IL

Williams committed to temple

rivera to Colorado St

young to BGSU

jakubicek to Belmont 

Burford to Elon

zero point zero!!!

Edited by dirtyolcrowe

So tell me where I am wrong:

We have 13 scholarships. A player gets 4 years. (Redshirts can change the number).

So every 4 years we POTENTIALLY turn over 52 players.

Now some stay and play 4 years, many do not.

So if someone does the math, we may have lost and recruited, what, 25 players in the past 4 years? Again, I don't have the number but in the last few years we had a lot of turnover and we had guys who only played one or two years.

So, my point is this:

MOST recruits, at least to Akron, do not work out. In the sense they leave before the 4 years, they never get any minutes, they get "convinced" to leave.

So missing out on any particular recruit is not a big deal, unless it happens to be LBJ, or maybe Zeke I guess.

No one ever knows how a high school standout will do in D1, and we actually played a pretty high level of hoops last year.

AND, when a sought after recruit commits, that might dislodge a transfer from that school!

So I don't lament the loss of a potential recruit, we have a good coach who finds good players.

• Like 2

Groce has seemed to rely heavily on transfers and JUCO players. I could have the stat wrong, but something like 40% of players transfer before their junior year. I can't blame any coach going with the non-traditional route. Hawkins kept trying to build the traditional way, but his best players kept transferring as juniors or seniors. Now he's without a job.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

He looks better as a JUCO transfer (Averaged a double-double), but he still would have work ahead of him before he could run with the Zips. That said, he can shoot from range. He can put the ball on the floor and drive. And there is an athlete in there capable of dunking. He's not tall for a PF/C, but he is wide.

Edit: Anderson played this JUCO season at 280 lbs. That's a load. Kostelac at 6-11 played at 250 lbs. It's always good to have an unmovable object on your team for rebounding purposes as long as he can run the floor. I would still like to see him down into the 250-255 range. Taylor Currie is roughly the same size as Sayles, 6-9, 230 lbs. And we still could use a tall, long rim protector like Riak at 225 lbs. I would take a chance on him.

https://twitter.com/mirambeaux09/status/1106583811213660160

image.png

Edited by Illini Zip