2020 Offers

One of Groce's many metaphors or Grocisms is "Steel sharpens Steel". Who knows how it will translate on game day, but this roster is loaded with talent top to bottom. Granted some players are still early in their development, but there are the makings for some crazy good battles in practice. Go Zips!!!

On 6/23/2020 at 9:58 PM, Illini Zip said:

One of Groce's many metaphors or Grocisms is "Steel sharpens Steel". Who knows how it will translate on game day, but this roster is loaded with talent top to bottom. Granted some players are still early in their development, but there are the makings for some crazy good battles in practice. Go Zips!!!

Let's hope that translates to the OOC schedule.  Teams like Concord, South Carolina Upstate and Southern are more like Silly Putty than steel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd say he speaks English. He would quickly become academically ineligible if he didn't. 

Have you spoken to him? Your second sentence is exactly why I asked the question. The good news is that all is not lost if a player does not speak English. There are way too many cases where an individual's skill set was pretty much limited to basketball and a tenuous grasp of the English language.(my favorite was the guy who disclosed that he could not read after graduating from Creighton).  And yet academic advisors were able to find enough basket-weaving classes to keep these individuals eligible for four years. But, the advisor's task would be more complicated if the player does not speak English.

14 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Have you spoken to him? Your second sentence is exactly why I asked the question. The good news is that all is not lost if a player does not speak English. There are way too many cases where an individual's skill set was pretty much limited to basketball and a tenuous grasp of the English language.(my favorite was the guy who disclosed that he could not read after graduating from Creighton).  And yet academic advisors were able to find enough basket-weaving classes to keep these individuals eligible for four years. But, the advisor's task would be more complicated if the player does not speak English.

What I was more so getting at is I can't imagine Groce would recruit someone that would have little to no chance of staying academically eligible. 

It's slow so I thought I would share a highlight video I just found of Maishe Dailey as a high school senior. His time at Iowa was not very productive. Not exactly sure why. He does have a slender build for being 6'-7" and might have had trouble with the physical play of the Big Ten. As mentioned on this board before, Maishe actually played some point guard for Iowa. I think he could play positions 1-4 for us, even play point-forward. Yes, there is such a thing where with LCJ on the court Maishe could bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense himself. I am thinking he is likely to pick up for X at the wing and Ali will back him up (Damn, I liked X. Cool guy, great player).

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3482320/5721dcfdc124573b548627dc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

It's slow so I thought I would share a highlight video I just found of Maishe Dailey as a high school senior. His time at Iowa was not very productive. Not exactly sure why. He does have a slender build for being 6'-7" and might have had trouble with the physical play of the Big Ten. As mentioned on this board before, Maishe actually played some point guard for Iowa. I think he could play positions 1-4 for us, even play point-forward. Yes, there is such a thing where with LCJ on the court Maishe could bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense himself. I am thinking he is likely to pick up for X at the wing and Ali will back him up (Damn, I liked X. Cool guy, great player).

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3482320/5721dcfdc124573b548627dc

I have faith in Groce & his system.  Let Maishe play free and run & gun and I'll bet he has a really good year for us.  He was one of the best players in NEO his senior season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'll take very ACC and Big 10 "failure" the Zips can get.  If you can get recruited into one of those schools, the reality is that you are well above the curve of the average MAC talent.  Keep them coming.

Good news. We can replace all the guards on the Zips roster with the 9 ACC/BIG guards still not showing a target school on the transfer portal. Unfortunately there are no centers available from the ACC/BIG and only 2 forwards. Interestingly, they show Wynn leaving WF, but don't as yet show Wynn going to the Zips.

Edited by Zipmeister

On 6/23/2020 at 9:05 PM, Illini Zip said:

I see similarities to Tyler Cheese's game.

https://twitter.com/MICHAEL_WYNN2/status/1257383041841930240

He's a mixture between Cheese and Noah Robotham (former PG under Dambrot; prior to LCJ, he was the most basketbally savvy/intelligent guard I've seen in a Zips uni). He has better distributing vision than Cheese, but definitely has Tyler's aggressiveness and quick shot. 

• Like 1

His form certainly reminds me of Tyler.  I hope he's got half Tyler's game.

Apparently he originally committed to ECU.

Rivals^^ had him ranked as a 3-star SG prospect with offers from ECU, Siena, Florida Atlantic, James Madison, Southern Miss, Southeastern Louisiana, UMass, Charlotte, and Southern Utah.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2