2020 Offers

As you can see in this link, VerbalCommits dot com just blew up with Akron offers.

Frank Jakubicek, 6-8, 220, PF, Cary-Grove HS, Cary, IL

Jeremiah Williams, 6-3, 165, PG, Saint Laurence HS, Burbank, IL

Isaiah Rivera, 6-5, 185, SF, Geneseo HS, Geneseo, IL

Cameron Young, 6-6, SF, Saints John Neumann and Maria Goretti HS, Woolwich, NJ

Darius Burford, 6-0, PG, Bolingbrook HS, Bolingbrook, IL

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

According to verbal commits Riak, Reece, and Sayles will all be juniors this year. We absolutely need at least 1, preferably 2, bigs this class. I don't want to have to start 2 true freshmen in the post.

I couldn't agree more. I'm still disappointed on missing out on Jonathan dos Anjos. But the basketball gods could make it up to us with Luka Eller in 2020. I love this kid, a true Stretch 4. And according to the Akron website Riak is a Senior this year, so just more to your point that we have an urgent need.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Good to see they are working on the future.

BUT

Still not one offer to a big.

I think we all try to block the ugly Khadin Gueye event out of our mind (at least I do), but the fact is we should have had the services of a high energy 7 foot, 245 lb rim protector for the next 2 years.

25 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I think we all try to block the ugly Khadin Gueye event out of our mind (at least I do), but the fact is we should have had the services of a high energy 7 foot, 245 lb rim protector for the next 2 years.

But we don't

Reality bites.

He took out TWO bigs, not just himself.

3 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

But we don't

Reality bites.

He took out TWO bigs, not just himself.

According to Verbal Commits Akron did extend an initial offer to a 2019 Center, Abba Lawal (6-11) a couple of years ago. There must be something very wrong going on there. A kid that size doesn't go unsigned unless there are issues. Both Groce and Fulford are very resourceful recruiters. If they are coming up empty right now then there must not be much out there. They are not even going the transfer route with a big right now. Keep the faith.

It’s the MAC. Going into the year 2020. You no longer need to play two 7 footers to win basketball games it’s not 1989. Size is still important but why not go after 6’6 - 6’9 athletic forwards who can rebound, space the floor, run and not clog up the lane. No team in the MAC is going to have 2 dominant bigs. We have guard play. If we can defend and protect the rim we’ll be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

It’s the MAC. Going into the year 2020. You no longer need to play two 7 footers to win basketball games it’s not 1989. Size is still important but why not go after 6’6 - 6’9 athletic forwards who can rebound, space the floor, run and not clog up the lane. No team in the MAC is going to have 2 dominant bigs. We have guard play. If we can defend and protect the rim we’ll be fine. 

I agree with your premise, very much. That is exactly how Groce and company like to play, running and spacing. However, there will be times when you need to have someone on your roster who weighs over 200 lbs. Teams like Eastern Michigan and Purdue (once in the Tourney) can eat your lunch if you don't have some balance to your roster. We should be fine for this year, but all some of us are saying is we need to address the Forward position with the 2020 class so we don't have a glaring problem down the line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

I have no problem with an athletic 6'8 or 6'9 big. This issue is by 2021 we'll have no player 6'7 or taller under scholarship and so far it doesn't seem like we've made an effort to recruit any. Maybe Groce is planning on using a grad transfer to fill the void when the time comes, idk. If that's the case that would be a pretty optimistic view considering it would require both a MAC caliber big wanting to transfer and said player wanting to come to Akron when there might be better options elsewhere.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I have no problem with an athletic 6'8 or 6'9 big. This issue is by 2021 we'll have no player 6'7 or taller under scholarship and so far it doesn't seem like we've made an effort to recruit any. Maybe Groce is planning on using a grad transfer to fill the void when the time comes, idk. If that's the case that would be a pretty optimistic view considering it would require both a MAC caliber big wanting to transfer and said player wanting to come to Akron when there might be better options elsewhere.

You beat me to it.

Still looking for all the 6'8 and 6'9 guys

14 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

"Bigs" do tend to take more time to develop typically, so maybe grabbing a player with 2-4 years of experience already is the better move? 

Here's what I do know. We were in nearly every single game last year with only one guy above 6'9" (Sayles was hurt most of the season). Our losses came from not being able to score/make jump shots at a consistent rate. If there's a concerted effort to fix that, I'll be very happy and will worry about the "bigs" later on. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

"Bigs" do tend to take more time to develop typically, so maybe grabbing a player with 2-4 years of experience already is the better move? 

Here's what I do know. We were in nearly every single game last year with only one guy above 6'9" (Sayles was hurt most of the season). Our losses came from not being able to score/make jump shots at a consistent rate. If there's a concerted effort to fix that, I'll be very happy and will worry about the "bigs" later on. 

We were in those games in large part because Riak was the leader and anchor of a top 25 defense. He's also as I understand it set to be a senior with Reece and Sayles both being juniors. You're right that bigs take some time to develop that's why we need at least one this class that way they have a year to develop behind Reece and Sayles.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 4

I think we all agree here more than not. The challenge is landing these bigs. And even though I don't believe Groce will ever stop searching for bigs that fit the system, the truth of the matter is there are at least twice as many quality guards and wings out there than there are bigs. So even though the importance of Riak's presence is undeniable and there is an urgency to find our next Riak, we also need to get this collection of quality guards and wings playing at an extremely high level, ASAP. I believe this is a huge off-season for the growth of the program and you will see a much improved and expansive offense next season. Also we have all the pieces in the locker room now to win the MAC. It just comes down to how fast they mature and gel. And of course, staying healthy. And if Akron hits this level of success, landing quality bigs that fit our system will become much, much easier.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, kreed5120 said:

The transfer portal is full of them.  Europe too.

We've offered another big

Andre Screen, 6-11, 240, C, St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School, Alexandria, VA.  (Did I mention him already?  I'm too rushed to look.)

Also has offers from St. Bonaventure, Mount St. Mary's, Howard, Bucknell, Lehigh, George Mason, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Joe's, Fairfield, Boston U., James Madison, Towson, and Columbia.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2