2020 Offers

52 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

We've offered another big

Andre Screen, 6-11, 240, C, St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School, Alexandria, VA.  (Did I mention him already?  I'm too rushed to look.)

Also has offers from St. Bonaventure, Mount St. Mary's, Howard, Bucknell, Lehigh, George Mason, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Joe's, Fairfield, Boston U., James Madison, Towson, and Columbia.

That looks like a pretty good offer list. I haven't seen any tape on him, but from this list it would seem he would be a hell of a get for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

The chances of getting him are below zero. He has offers from schools that go to the Dance.

Has Akron ever landed a player that had similar offers?  The only name that comes to mind is Zeke Marshall.  I thought he had some decent offers when he came to Akron.  Any other highly recruited players that came to Akron.  (not transfers from another school)  

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Has Akron ever landed a player that had similar offers?  The only name that comes to mind is Zeke Marshall.  I thought he had some decent offers when he came to Akron.  Any other highly recruited players that came to Akron.  (not transfers from another school)  

I hate to break it to you but that's not that impressive of a list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

You have to be kidding. A degree from most all of those schools is way better than from Akron.

And most of them are "name" schools that compete at a good level. Boston U, Bucknell, St. Joes or Akron? Good luck with that.

I believe most folks from New Jersey would side with you in this debate.

8 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I have a degree from Akron.

I don't know what this has to do with New Jersey, but the institution on the degree does matter in future endeavors

Congrats on your degree.

The schools you mention may tend to be held in higher regard by some people on the east coast even if their opinion is not justified.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

Congrats on your degree.

The schools you mention may tend to be held in higher regard by some people on the east coast even if their opinion is not justified.

Akron is not the capital of the world.

It is only the capital of West Virginia.

And yes, I graduated in 1971.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:26 AM, akronzips71 said:

Akron is not the capital of the world.

It is only the capital of West Virginia.

And yes, I graduated in 1971.

In the good old days, when they made tires in Akron, one good thing about the rubber workers occasional strikes was that it gave all the mayors of West Virginia towns an opportunity to go home and visit.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:36 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Until the program puts more than 2 players on the Dean's List (one isn't with the program anymore), we might want to refrain from mentioning academics as a factor in recruiting. 

Incredibly few D1 basketball programs can brag about the academic excellence of their institutions or their players with a straight face.

(Really old story warning)

As coach of one of the final four teams in the big dance, Al Mcquire was asked why he started Bill Neary instead of Bernard Toone. Al said, "Well, Bill is a straight A student  in accounting and with him in the lineup it raises the accum of the starting 5 up to a D - ."

Students at Marquette told me one either had to be a really good student or a really good basketball p[layer to be adnitted.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If the value of a specific school's degree had any role in the mindset of 17 and 18 year old basketball recruits, the Ivy League would leapfrog the ACC, SEC and Big 10.

The best players have their eyes on an NBA or professional future. That has not been in the cards for Ivy League players since the days of Bill Bradley.

Players who count on the scholarship for an education look to places like the Ivy League.

St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, and St. Joe's are all bigger basketball brands than Akron, but none of them are big enough that I'd say we'd have no chance of beating out for a recruit. In fact, to improve in the college basketball landscape these are the type of programs we need to beat out in recruiting battles to move up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

The best players have their eyes on an NBA or professional future. That has not been in the cards for Ivy League players since the days of Bill Bradley.

Players who count on the scholarship for an education look to places like the Ivy League.

Your attributing a middle aged male intellect and mindset to 17 or 18 year olds.