2020 Offers

7 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Dawson was the top recruit of this years class. If he is eligible, look for him to get significant minutes after he gets some time to get acclimated. We will now have a legitimate 10 man rotation.

He may bump some existing players down the ladder a step buy even our guys know what he can contribute and will welcome him mid-season with open arms.

PS:  I notice that Mom has deleted the tweet but Mikal still has it on his feed.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:
51 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

It's still there. Its just under her replies, even though it doesn't appear to be a reply to anything.  Twitter is weird. 

A little birdie told me we're going to be a little deeper/better come December 15. Not sure I would believe a random poster myself, but I heard what I heard. Go Zips!

And LCJ liked the post...the plot thickens.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

A little birdie told me we're going to be a little deeper/better come December 15. Not sure I would believe a random poster myself, but I heard what I heard. Go Zips!

In my experience, I have found Little Birdie to be a creditable source. I am surprised Dawson would start mid-season, but go Zips!!

4 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

In my experience, I have found Little Birdie to be a creditable source. I am surprised Dawson would start mid-season, but go Zips!!

Depends on the type of bird, no?

Fall Semester 2019:

Regular Monday, August 26 -  Sunday, December 8

Final Exam Monday, December 9  -  Sunday, December 15

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I am not surprised at all.  He and the coaches don't want to waste an opportunity.  In today's transfer portal environment both the player and the coaches want immediate satisfaction.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think we need at least 1 big that can play next year (depending on other turnover).  Currie can play the 5 if needed but would be nice to have a defensive presence when needed.  Going off of the past I would expect 1 transfer that has to sit a year, which can be good as they have a year to acclimate to the team and program.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

I think we need at least 1 big that can play next year (depending on other turnover).  Currie can play the 5 if needed but would be nice to have a defensive presence when needed.  Going off of the past I would expect 1 transfer that has to sit a year, which can be good as they have a year to acclimate to the team and program.

Dear Basketball Gods, please bring us a 6'10" graduate transfer that can bring us 20 minutes, 8 points and five rebounds a game.  We've been good fans and we're not greedy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

AMEN

I will drink to that.

Amen again. I've been good since I only got coal for Christmas. I've learned my lesson. I eat my vegetables, say my prayers and still believe Kent ( aka PCCC) sucks. That's got to make the basketball gods happy. Sent us a good big. Please! ?

I made the following post on January 4th in the "Scholarship Chart" thread, but it's pertinent to where this thread has gone...

Unless you're a Duke, North Carolina or Kansas, and are consistently landing McDonald's High School All-Americans, the formula for winning is "Get Old; Stay Old."  Groce is doing a masterful job of that.  Our main contributors are all seniors - Cheese, Banks & X with LCJ still having another year.  Our underclassmen are talented but can take a year or two to ease their way into D-1 ball & let the game slow down for them.  Tribble, Ali & Dawson (Dawson's a grown-ass man) all look good and are all getting valuable minutes this year without having a lot of pressure on them (Tribble and Ali are playing truly meaningful minutes). Next year we're adding Trimble (Jr.) and Dailey (Sr.) and ready-to-contribute sophomore big Taylor Currie so, so our current frosh still won't have all the pressure on them.  Future of the program's looking good.  Groce has us rolling.

Next season:

PG:   LCJ            Tribble     (Garvin redshirt)

W:    Trimble      Dawson

W:    Dailey         Ali            Edwards

P:     Reese         Sayles

P:     Currie

To fill out a championship-caliber roster I'm still thinking we need a ready-to-contribute JUCO post player for next season.

• Like 2

Sayles has been a good teammate thus far by not showing his displeasure of falling out of the rotation, but I'd be surprised to see him in a Zips uniform next season. As a freshmen he was playing 14.6 m/g. Last season he played 12.4 m/g. This season he's down to 5.4 and hasn't even appeared in the Zips last 2 games. Unlike some other Zips transfers who really weren't good enough to play D1 basketball, I could see Sayles being a meaningful contributor on an America East caliber team.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

Just spitballing here, but Ali Ali is a legit 6'8" & he looks to me like he could put on some muscle over the next 2 years.  

Do you guys think he could move to a power forward/stretch 4 position?

If so, we could look something like this going into next season:

PG: LCJ   Tribble    Clarke

W:  Trimble  Dawson

W:  Dailey  Edwards

P:  Reece  Ali

P: Currie  Sayles

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Just spitballing here, but Ali Ali is a legit 6'8" & he looks to me like he could put on some muscle over the next 2 years.  

Do you guys think he could move to a power forward/stretch 4 position?

If so, we could look something like this going into next season:

PG: LCJ   Tribble    Clarke

W:  Trimble  Dawson

W:  Dailey  Edwards

P:  Reece  Ali

P: Currie  Sayles

Ali has been spelling X this year at the 4 so I say yes he will play some 4.  

• Like 1

I think Ali will definitely play some 4, but I think it is a "stretch" to call him a "stretch" 4.  My vision of a "stretch" 4 is someone who takes the ball outside and can shoot it thereby stretching the defense.  It would not appear he's there at least yet.  Some of that may be his hesitance to shoot, but when he has it has I haven't seen much of an outside game.

I think we're really going to like Maishe Dailey.  He's a nice perimeter defender.  I don't think he's the offensive threat or rebounder that X can be, but he can really d up for a large wing.  I really like the way he interacts on bench with this year's team.  On a non-basketball level, he's just a nice personable kid, just the type of kid you'd want representing your team.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

21 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Sayles has been a good teammate thus far by not showing his displeasure of falling out of the rotation, but I'd be surprised to see him in a Zips uniform next season. As a freshmen he was playing 14.6 m/g. Last season he played 12.4 m/g. This season he's down to 5.4 and hasn't even appeared in the Zips last 2 games. Unlike some other Zips transfers who really weren't good enough to play D1 basketball, I could see Sayles being a meaningful contributor on an America East caliber team.

Like Aaron Jackson?