Why is this a position?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 11:02 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Yes the university has a department called "Office of Inclusion and Equity" which is a office that formerly went by another name, which at Akron is managed by Jolene Lane.

The Office of Inclusion and Equity runs many diversity learning opportunities throughout the course of the year; Black Male Summit (which is a huge HS outreach thing UA does every-year, and brings A LOT of people to campus, for the record), China Week (FYI UA has a partnership/sister university in China, and is a Confucius Institute just incase you were unaware); as well as oversees the UpWard Bound Program (which is a fantastic program between UA and APS), amongst many, many, many other things.  You know...the crap a Public University should be doing.

Also, a position like "Office of Diversity" like that of UA doing the things as described above, is not uncommon among universities (both Public and private).  In fact, it's uncommon NOT to have one!  Ohio State Has one.  Kent State Has oneThe University of Alabama has oneThe University of Tennessee Has oneSouth Dakota State Has One...(literally go to google and type "(university name) Office of Diversity" and you'll find it has one.  Hell, fortune-500 companies dedicate resources (some of those resources coming in the form of scholarships, internships...which directly relate to universities) based on diversity initiatives; Walmart, ExxonMobile to just name two.  

So either this is some vast, radical thing...or perhaps its something universities and companies do to remain both tight with the larger community, and competitive.

Funny, how these radical right-wing websites that you sited this report from were silent on the Pretend-Play-Military Czar UA created under the Scarborough administration who was getting paid $100,000 (to oversee college kids playing military), for a program that does about 1/1,000,000 of what the Office of Inclusion and Equity does for UA, the community and City of Akron.  No, instead these radical right-wing websites pedal snake-oil; without context; without research; without any gumption of credibility, honesty, integrity or honor; to whip ignorant people into a frenzy over something they know nothing about.

Your woeful ignorance of the topics you mention yourself, and lack of willingness to do basic research (freaking google) of things before commenting is disheartening, and part of the problem both in the UA community, and at-large.  Please keep your politics off the forum.  Thank-you.

5 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Yes the university has a department called "Office of Inclusion and Equity" which is a office that formerly went by another name, which at Akron is managed by Jolene Lane.

The Office of Inclusion and Equity runs many diversity learning opportunities throughout the course of the year; Black Male Summit (which is a huge HS outreach thing UA does every-year, and brings A LOT of people to campus, for the record), China Week (FYI UA has a partnership/sister university in China, and is a Confucius Institute just incase you were unaware); as well as oversees the UpWard Bound Program (which is a fantastic program between UA and APS), amongst many, many, many other things.  You know...the crap a Public University should be doing.

Also, a position like "Office of Diversity" like that of UA doing the things as described above, is not uncommon among universities (both Public and private).  In fact, it's uncommon NOT to have one!  Ohio State Has one.  Kent State Has oneThe University of Alabama has oneThe University of Tennessee Has oneSouth Dakota State Has One...(literally go to google and type "(university name) Office of Diversity" and you'll find it has one.  Hell, fortune-500 companies dedicate resources (some of those resources coming in the form of scholarships, internships...which directly relate to universities) based on diversity initiatives; Walmart, ExxonMobile to just name two.  

So either this is some vast, radical thing...or perhaps its something universities and companies do to remain both tight with the larger community, and competitive.

Funny, how these radical right-wing websites that you sited this report from were silent on the Pretend-Play-Military Czar UA created under the Scarborough administration who was getting paid $100,000 (to oversee college kids playing military), for a program that does about 1/1,000,000 of what the Office of Inclusion and Equity does for UA, the community and City of Akron.  No, instead these radical right-wing websites pedal snake-oil; without context; without research; without any gumption of credibility, honesty, integrity or honor; to whip ignorant people into a frenzy over something they know nothing about.

Your woeful ignorance of the topics you mention yourself, and lack of willingness to do basic research (freaking google) of things before commenting is disheartening, and part of the problem both in the UA community, and at-large.  Please keep your politics off the forum.  Thank-you.

This was actually a very informative post, but you just HAD to Balsy it and be condescending and bring politics into it. While a better source could have been cited, I don't see anything politically slanted in the article. Simply reporting of news and facts. Come on man.

My apologies for triggering you with my source. 

I came across the article, drawn mostly by the fact that it named a fellow MAC school (OU), and couldn't believe that a diversity czar makes that much. It made me wonder, aware of Akron's financial troubles, if we had one of these and if their salary was similar. I also never knew that it was a position in the first place. I still am not quite sure I understand the positive effects the diversity aspect of this position has, especially at its price tag. The community engagement aspect I understand, but aren't there other community engagement positions?

Sorry for posting this in the Off Topic section, Balsy. Won't happen again. :rolleyes:

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

This was actually a very informative post, but you just HAD to Balsy it and be condescending and bring politics into it. While a better source could have been cited, I don't see anything politically slanted in the article. Simply reporting of news and facts. Come on man.

You don't see anything political with that article that was posted?  Please don't play dumb, Breitbart is a notorious hyperbolic site to begin with, everything in the headline:  "Ohio University Diversity CZAR to make $200,000 per year".  The term "CZAR" is used as an inflammatory muckraking term, one that the writer knows the audience (breitbart's readership) will respond to.  It's written not to be informative, but to enrage.  

The body of the piece compares the salary to the entry level salary/salary of other positions at the university, WITHOUT informing the reader of the duties such position entails (like I did in my post).  It's pretty clear there is a bias in that article:  inflammatory headline to catch the reader "diversity" position thrown around (without being given context) and then mentioning other universities that are paying considerable amounts for these positions.

The last part of the article is the most damning of it's bias:

"A pending case against Harvard University has the potential to revamp the diversity and affirmative action policies at universities around the country. The case, which was filed by an Asian-American activist group, claims that Harvard University discriminates unfairly in their admissions practices against minorities."

It's essentially leaving the reader with Diversity positions such as these at universities actually discriminates unfairly in admissions practices.  However, as I pointed out in my post, the position involves so many more things than admissions or recruitment.  In fact, it appears it's only a minor part of the job at the University of Akron, as I would assume it is at Ohio University as well.

That article is absolutely biased, because it gives no context for anything.  It's written:  DIVERSITY CZAR  ------> Paid Lots of Money --------> Affirmative action = Descrimination.

Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

My apologies for triggering you with my source. 

I came across the article, drawn mostly by the fact that it named a fellow MAC school (OU), and couldn't believe that a diversity czar makes that much. It made me wonder, aware of Akron's financial troubles, if we had one of these and if their salary was similar. I also never knew that it was a position in the first place. I still am not quite sure I understand the positive effects the diversity aspect of this position has, especially at its price tag. The community engagement aspect I understand, but aren't there other community engagement positions?

Sorry for posting this in the Off Topic section, Balsy. Won't happen again. :rolleyes:

Triggered?  No.  I'm not going to let you post abhorrently biased/political stuff here without response. 

Of course you couldn't imagine that a person running a department like that might make that much money, you haven't bothered to look it up or research it other than when Breitbart mentions it.  You fell into their biased trap of outrage; their article gave no context for the position, and triggered you to respond with "I can't believe this outrage!?"

If it's something you actually care about: here's the contact information for the members of the board of trustees, you can ask them yourself about justification for the job if you wish, or you can attend the meetings if it's something you actually care about.

The fact is; you don't actually care about it...what you do care about is an agenda and sitting on your high horse.  That's why you posted it, that's why you posted it the way you did, that's why you gave it the title to the thread you did.  We're not stupid.  You didn't post this because you were actually curious.  

6 hours ago, Balsy said:

It's essentially leaving the reader with Diversity positions such as these at universities actually discriminates unfairly in admissions practices.  However, as I pointed out in my post, the position involves so many more things than admissions or recruitment.  In fact, it appears it's only a minor part of the job at the University of Akron, as I would assume it is at Ohio University as well.

I did assume, after reading the title of position and article, that the person was responsible for admissions diversity (something I personally believe is wrong, judging and admitting people based on their skin color/heritage/race). However, I will go back to a previous question I posted. Are the other aspects of the job duplicated in other community-involvement positions? 

18 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I did assume, after reading the title of position and article, that the person was responsible for admissions diversity (something I personally believe is wrong, judging and admitting people based on their skin color/heritage/race). However, I will go back to a previous question I posted. Are the other aspects of the job duplicated in other community-involvement positions? 

Thank-you for at least being honest and admitting that you jumped to a conclusion without throughly investigating it, or understanding it.  Takes courage to do that.  And no, I'm not saying that condescendingly...

You have more information at your fingertips right now than the previous 20,000 years of human history combined, with little more effort to access than moving your fingers around.  If you are seriously interested in knowing the answer to this question; hasten forth and go look it up for yourself!  :D

I'd also like to point out that I don't believe you understand what admissions criteria that is diversity-based means.  I believe you disagree with a conservative straw-man of admissions criteria that is based on diversity, but not the ones in reality.  An excellent place to start would be by contacting the University of Akron's own office and directing your questions to them directly.